Sign in to follow this  
ready2hunt

Strange in Unit 22N- Your thoughts??

Okay so let me start off this post by saying this is not an urban legend, I saw this with my own eyes over the weekend. HOWEVER, I do not have a pic to prove it.

I went to visit a family member of mine up by Clint's Wells over the weekend. Drove up early and back late that same day. I took the drive back just before dark to see the elk on my way out. I saw about 5 different elk herds on my way off the Rim.

On my way back in (the sun had already gone down) I saw, to my amazement a GIANT 7pt bull no more than 15 yards off the road, he was acting like he was waiting to run across the road. Traffic was pretty light so I pulled over (very briefly) and he started to parallel the car on the embankment, he stopped looked at us and then when I tapped the brake a 2nd time the light spooked him and he turned and ran over the hill (out of sight).

Here is the strange part- HE WAS NOT IN VELVET. I have been hunting 25 years and call bulls on the rim for fun or hunting every year without fail. I am not a novice hunter and can claim with absolute surety that there was (0) velvet on this monster. I had my brights on and he was well illuminated. He quickly trotted off and I had no chance to take a pic. The only witness I have was my father in the car with me.

Perhaps for some of you biologists out there this is not that uncommon however I have never seen that this late/early or however you wish to put it but had I not see it with my own eyes I would question it. Have any of you seen this before?

PS- If you got a 22N tag let me know and I'll pm you were I saw this monster. he was very symmetrical with 7 points plain as day.

I want proof! Show me the pics (and the coordinates, please, I have a 22n archery bull tag!)!!!!! Very cool, saw a nice heard in a lower area on my way through last night. Need to check the area out soon!

And, I would not be upset if you sent me the coordinates! :)

On a side note, while camping this weekend, we pulled into a spot Friday after dark and must have split up a heard hanging around there. Got out and the cows and calves were REALLY vocal, but more crazy was the number of bugles and bulls we heard going off for 15 mintues SOLID!!!! This was in 6a, however.

Guest akaspecials

And here I thought this thread was gonna be about the strange I picked up at Pete's Place this weekend in 22N....

My Rights

I heard some good bugles as well last weekend in 6a, around sheep springs, some sounded more like adolescent boys trying to figure out what kind of noise they could make. Put a huge smile on the wife's face as she had never heard the glorious Rocky Mountain elk bugle. All the bulls seen were in velvet, never seen a hard horned bull this time of year. I would go buy a lotto ticket ready2hunt.

wow this thread took a completely unexpected direction. As far as pete's place...I was talking about elk.....not yetti's ;)

I should go buy a lotto ticket....as strange as it sounds. Well thanks for the input. I have never heard them bugle this early so I guess anything is possible.

• Like 2

Did he have his antlers colored or white?

They were certainly lighter colored...not dark at all. Again it was dark but I had him pretty well illuminated

Have never heard of a bull hard horned this early, however the bugling I can believe. We heard bugling all through the November hunt and I also heard some bugles during my sons Turkey hunt in April!

Bulls will bugle year round but it isn't anything like during the rut. Can't figure out the bull being hard horned already unless he didn't shed his antlers this year.

I have heard bulls squeal and "bugle" year round when in big herds. Its their way of communicating with the other elk just like a cow mews. The biggest herd of elk I have ever seen in AZ was in 22N during June 1998. There were hundreds of elk and the cow calls and squeals were so loud you almost couldn't hear another person talk.

As far as the bull being hard horned, could it be an old bull that isn't producing enough testosterone to cause him to shed? Never heard of an elk with "Low T", but hey it could happen.

As far as the bull being hard horned, could it be an old bull that isn't producing enough testosterone to cause him to shed? Never heard of an elk with "Low T", but hey it could happen.

I am sure there is a medicine for this condition! Maybe someone should google "how to fix low testosterone" on their work computer?

Wow this is interesting since ive never heard of it either!!

Maybe he lost his pair

Its possible. Happened to me when I got married. :)

• Like 7