Sign in to follow this  
CouesWhitetail

Advice for fixing swamp cooler

Our evaporative cooler has been a real pain this year. If it's not the copper tubing leaking it's the pulley falling off. I can't seem to figure out how to keep the pulley from falling off. It's done this before and we just keep putting the slider bar back in and tightening the set screw. Sometimes it holds sometimes it doesn't. I bought a new bar and set screw today and it still fell apart about a minute after turning it on. I put it all back together and it's working now, but I am looking for any kind of tricks of the trade that someone might know to keep the bar from falling out and therefore causing the pulley to fall off. Hopefully you guys know what parts I am talking about. The people at Ace Hardware said I am doing it all correctly, but dang it, I want a permanent fix. I am afraid to use locktite or glue of some kind in case we really need to take the thing apart some time.

The slider bar I am talking about is about 1 inch long and slides between the pulley and the motor arm. The set screw pushes up against the bar to hold it in place but there is not indent or anything on the bar. It's flat bar against flat screw edge. Just the pressure is supposed to keep them together.

Be sure BOTH belt pulleys are lined up perpendicular so the belt isn't at any angle, which migh produce a vibration.

If the key (bar) doesn't have a concave little area where the set screw contacts it, try making one. First, put it all together with a bit of lipstick on the tip of the set screw that you lightly tighten until it touches the bar. Next, you can take either drill with a bit or a roto tool with an abrasive SMALL tip that will etch metal right at the lipstick mark. It doesn't have to be very deep. Put everything back together.

The only other problem could be the threads in the pulley. If they are a bit stripped, the set screw will work its way out more easily with the vibrations. In this case, it could be enlarged a bit and retapped for a bigger set scew. Or, as suggested, use Loctite on the screw.

• Like 1

Be sure BOTH belt pulleys are lined up perpendicular so the belt isn't at any angle, which migh produce a vibration.

If the key (bar) doesn't have a concave little area where the set screw contacts it, try making one. First, put it all together with a bit of lipstick on the tip of the set screw that you lightly tighten until it touches the bar. Next, you can take either drill with a bit or a roto tool with an abrasive SMALL tip that will etch metal right at the lipstick mark. It doesn't have to be very deep. Put everything back together.

The only other problem could be the threads in the pulley. If they are a bit stripped, the set screw will work its way out more easily with the vibrations. In this case, it could be enlarged a bit and retapped for a bigger set scew. Or, as suggested, use Loctite on the screw.

+1 on what Tony says!

On another note why dosn't one of your local members get off there behinds and help U....!?

I believe you live in the Globe or Superior area and I am shure there is a handyman experienced member or two up there!

• Like 1

Thanks! All good ideas!

I have been trying to make sure the pulleys are lined up properly to avoid vibration. Maybe the threading is worn and the set screw backs out just enough....locktite might work as a first step. I have some blue locktite on hand I believe. Good idea Tony on making a slight indent in the bar. Only problem is I don't have any lipstick!! :)

+1 on what Howie says!

On another note why dosn't one of your local members get off there behinds and help U....!?

I believe you live in the Globe or Superior area and I am shure there is a handyman experienced member or two up there!

yeah, maybe I need a list of local members and I can just push a button and have them come running whenever I need something !! :) LOL!

• Like 2

You might also change the set screw. Usually they are flat on the end that tightens against the shaft like this:

post-5591-0-06327200-1373400678.gif

If you change to a pointed one it will hold better but it can also scar up the shaft if it work loose. If the pointed screw backs out I would then go with blue lock tite.

post-5591-0-26955200-1373400813.jpg

ACE Hardware has a good assortment of set screws.

Does the pulley fit tight on the shaft it could have worn the shaft down causing the pulley to not stay tied on there

Tighten the set screw then loosen it just a little and then tighten back down it helps the set screw grip the shaft

try the way we tighten electrical connection by tightening shack it and tighten again. or drill a hole using a smaller bit then the screw so you don't scar the threads then tighten and use that lock tight. good luck

If u can bite the bullet on the upfront expense, refrigerated air would be the best fix. When u consider the water, the pads, the pump, the belt, the pulleys, and the poor indoor air quality, refrigerated air is a better bet in the long run. When the monsoons come and the humidity goes up, that swamp cooler just don't cut it! Yes, I own an HVAC business but I don't have a monetary interesting in this one.

• Like 1

My wife and I live in an 800 sq ft guest house while I'm trying to finish building our main home. 2400 sq ft I bought a 300 dollar window unit A/C unit, built it into the wall and it works great!! I don't know much about home a/c but I'd go the a/c route if its in the budget. A few window units or a whole house unit is cheaper in the long run than an old swampy. We don't run it often but when we do its nice lol.