Sign in to follow this  
apache12

buy a youth rifle and add an adult stock or buy youth stock for ?

so my 9 year old passed Hunter Safety Ed this weekend and he is all eager to shoot at the range, and I want to feed the excitement. He's shot my little 10/22 a bunch and he has wrestled with my full size 223, but it's tough for him to get comfortable with. he's a 12.5 LOP. Here's a question I'd be interested in opinions.

Buy a youth rifle for him, most have a 20 inch barrel and then add a full size stock when he grows up? But then he has a full size stock on a short barrel. or Buy a youth stock for one of my existing rifle like my 243, and then when he grows I just put the old stock back on?

Talking to a guy at Sportys and he said who cares if it has a 20 inch barrel, it's be a cool little Mtn Rifle. Interesting. But he might like to grow with a rifle that he has confidence from shooting as he grew.

thanks

I'm not sure how used to shooting your boy is? I was 4 when my dad got me an ithica single shot lever action 22. I had that and BB guns as well as a 4 10 shotgun when I was 6 or 7. He bought me a savage 110d 270 when I was 9 (from a guy everyone called "shotgun" believe it or not) it was open sights cause I wasn't allowed to use a scope til I could buy it myself. I thank my dad for that, it taught me to shoot wether I knew it or not. I guess the whole point to my rambling.... I never had a youth stock/barrel/gun/scope. I shot full size and learned how to get used to it. I hunted and killed many criters with full size guns as a kid.

Having A 20" Barrel Simply Makes It A carbine. For My Brother, I Bought Him A Full size Rifle (Win 670a) And Then Put A Youth Stock On It.... And Now I Shoot It!

If you want to get a youth rifle that he will keep and later be able to use as an adult I'd get a Howa. One thing I would also do is to get an inexpensive 4X scope with 4" of eye relief and let him use that for a few years before using a variable power scope. Kids will creep up on the stock and with a 4X there is nothing for them to adjust and he will have a consistent sight picture every time he shoulders the rifle. If you can find a 4x32 with a 1" tube then mount it with low rings so it is easier for him to align his eye with his cheek on the stock without having to raise his head up.

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Howa-Youth-Two-Stock-Scope-Combo/1367661.uts

• Like 1

If you want to get a youth rifle that he will keep and later be able to use as an adult I'd get a Howa. One thing I would also do is to get an inexpensive 4X scope with 4" of eye relief and let him use that for a few years before using a variable power scope. Kids will creep up on the stock and with a 4X there is nothing for them to adjust and he will have a consistent sight picture every time he shoulders the rifle. If you can find a 4x32 with a 1" tube then mount it with low rings so it is easier for him to align his eye with his cheek on the stock without having to raise his head up.

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Howa-Youth-Two-Stock-Scope-Combo/1367661.uts

good advice!!!

Courntey shot a ruger M77 with the original wood stock cut down to fit her. Put a limbsaver recoil pad (grind to fit) on it and she shot the lights out. Couple years later, I put a full size synthetic stock back on it for her. Wood stocks are easier to cut down and make to fit a smaller person.

If you do use a limbsaver recoil pad and grind it, put it in the freezer. It will grind down a lot better.

Brent

he didn't pull a tag, he's still nine and turns 10 late nov. so there wasn't much to put him in for. I have a late bull tag to help a buddy on. So he'll most likely hunt Pig in spring 14.

I'm thinking of getting him either a 243, 257 Roberts or a 7mm-08. I know the 243 is fine for Mule, if the shot is good, my concern is if the shot is not as good, that's why I was thinking of the larger 7mm-08 and maybe shoot that managed recoil load.

In my opinion there is not much difference between the 243 and the 257 Roberts. I have shot thousands of 7-08 rounds when I was a silhouette shooter and it is more than adequate for anything you will encounter in Arizona including Elk as long as you choose a good bullet and keep the shot distance reasonable.

• Like 1

/>In my opinion there is not much difference between the 243 and the 257 Roberts. I have shot thousands of 7-08 rounds when I was a silhouette shooter and it is more than adequate for anything you will encounter in Arizona including Elk as long as you choose a good bullet and keep the shot distance reasonable.

+1

apache12, the manage recoil is definitely the way to go. When my oldest daughter(10 yrs old) started shooting her 7-08 I bought the managed recoil. It helped her develop good shooting skills without being scared of the gun. In fact, I would have to tell her to stop shooting so the barrel could cool down. Then when came time for her elk hunt I bought a hunting round. That's all she shoots now.

Good luck!

7-08 is a great round for Arizona, despite what some people will say. Ballistics are pretty darn good, and it keeps good retained energy because it uses a .284 bullet. With a brake, it kicks like a .223.

You can do either really. The short barrel for a kid is a real plus, and honestly it is fun to shoot as an adult as well. We have a Winchester M70 Classic Compact in 7-08 and it is a great gun. Also had a M77 Ruger Compact that was a hoot to shoot. Great for running up and down the hills in southern for the Coues Deer ... if you don't mind the traffic coming north that is.

took the boy out to shoot this weekend on the little 223 and PRDTER post is right on, the variable scope was his biggest issue. Going to look for a fixed power. Great tip.