Sign in to follow this  
105Coues

Need Help! Not enough MOA????

I am hoping some of you can help me with my current issue. I have a win model 70 300 win mag with a vortex viper 6.5 to 20x50 mounted with a weaver extended 20 MOA rail and weaver grand slam rings. I am zeroed at 300 and I only have 20.5 MOA available which gets me out to 950 but not 1000.

I thought I would have more adjustment so I need ideas on how to get there????

quote.gif

ya be a little more concderate to the animals get closer don't shot them from your house. or leave the road. if you put your schaworskies away and use some tascos you won't have to shoot so far>LOL

I dont intend to be a prick but did you mount the sloped bases the correct direction?

p.s. why is 1000 yards always "the" magic number?

The guy never said he was hunting with his set up but if he is, and is good enough?? Anyways. Try using shims in your rings or different rings? I'm not sure why your current setup won't get you to a grand or further? Double check it all maybe?

• Like 1

You can get a 30 MOA rail if 20 isn't enough

The guy never said he was hunting with his set up but if he is, and is good enough?? Anyways. Try using shims in your rings or different rings? I'm not sure why your current setup won't get you to a grand or further? Double check it all maybe?

Thank you! I am target shooting and want to challenge myself with as far as I can shoot. This forum was labeled long range shooting. The rail is tapered down toward the barrel and I only have 9.5 MOA adjustment. This should mean that if I did not have a 20MOA rail that I would not have been able to sight in?? Puzzles me

To the comment of why 1000, it is on the way to 2000. :D

• Like 3

Well ... if you don't want to go with a 30 MOA Base, you might have to look at the Burris Signature Rings that have offset inserts. You could get another 10 MOA out of that.

I don't know that the standard Viper has great adjustability to begin with. I know the PST and Viper HS LR have 75MOA, but I don't think the standard one is really meant to have as much adjustability.

On my longest range rig I went with a 20 MOA rail and a Scope with 100MOA total adjustment.

Sounds like the rail is the wrong direction to me

Well ... if you don't want to go with a 30 MOA Base, you might have to look at the Burris Signature Rings that have offset inserts. You could get another 10 MOA out of that.

I don't know that the standard Viper has great adjustability to begin with. I know the PST and Viper HS LR have 75MOA, but I don't think the standard one is really meant to have as much adjustability.

On my longest range rig I went with a 20 MOA rail and a Scope with 100MOA total adjustment.

Thx I may have to go with a 30 MOA. I will look into those rings. I just looked at the old std height leopold mount and rings and the front base (2 pc) is about 1/8 inch shorter than the rear. I could visually see the weaver rail was shorter in the front so I thought all looked well. Not sure how much height difference it takes to make 20 MOA but wondering now if I have the real 20 MOA rail. Checked the scope and it has 58 MOA full travel.

Sounds like the rail is the wrong direction to me

Thx. I wish it were that simple but it only fits one way.

Something's not quite right here. You don't specify which Viper you own, but the Viper PA w/30mm tube has an advertised 65 MOA of travel. Now we all know that no scope ever zero's out exactly in the middle. So if you are off by a few MOA, you should still have close to 30 MOA dial up. Add the 20 MOA rail and you now have 50 total MOA of dial up. If this is not the case, your scope may have some internal problems. I would suggest turning your elevation knob gently until you bottom out. Then slowly start dialing up, counting the clicks as you go. You should hear and feel about 260 total clicks, or 65 MOA. If you don't get close to that - return the scope.

You don't say what load you are shooting, but a 185 Berger vld zeroed at 300 yds. traveling at 3,100 fps should only require about 19 to 20 MOA of dial up to hit at 1,000 yds.

• Like 1

I have to give my vote with others that have said you should have plenty of adjustment. With a 20 MOA rail I have never come close to running out of room on a vortex, luepold, or NSX even at 1,200? Something is not right for a 300 mag...

210 gr bullet @ 2,800 fps with a 300 yd zero should only need about 30 MOA for a 1K shot? 20 from the rail and only 9.5 left, even if you had it backwards you should have more than 9.5. I would test the scope count clicks all the way up and then all the way down, see what you get the center it and see how far off it is at 100. That should give you an idea how far the adjustment is off if it is just not there then send it back. If it has all the range then change rings and check that base again.