More D

Tag Frustrations....

My wife, daughter and I have been pretty bummed out lately because we not drawn for anything, deer or elk, for two years in a row. My wife has gone 4 years without a tag! Hunting for us is a BIG deal. The only time we go to Disneyland is when we don’t draw hunting tags. My kids, 3 and 9 years old, would rather go hunting! No joke. I feel blessed that my family loves to do exactly as I do, hunt! Ever since the last draw results came out I have heard my wife say some pretty scary things…..like “I don’t even like to hunt anymore anyways!” I wanted to die when I heard her say that. I guess four years without a tag can make you crazy…… SO he I am trying to keep the family hunting flame alive but no dang tags. She even wants to sell our beloved travel trailer. This is scary to me because this is the same woman who refuses to come back home when the hunt is over!

This morning I took my kids down to the AZGFD offices to try and pick up a left over WT and/or Javi tag and the line was long to say the least. The very nice WM said the wait was about an hour. The look on my daughters face when I said we had to wait was so sad; it looked like some had just killed her puppy. We got up to the line and there were only 15 30A WT tags left…that’s it! My daughter asked for our unit javi hunt number and the receptionist said “yes, there are still a few left”. My daughter started jumping up and down, hooting and hollering…..for just a few seconds. The receptionist said “wait, I am sorry….they are all out. My daughter looked like someone had killed two of her puppies in just over an hour. If I was frustrated before you can only imagine now. The receptionist gave me list of what was left and I just picked 5511 because they were available. They printed the tag out and she got the last tag for that hunt. She was so EXCITED! She called her Grandpa, Nana, Tata, Etc….

I was happy too, for so many reasons. But most importantly the flame is still alive.

We now have something to look forward to!

Only problem is I have NEVER set foot in 37A or 37B. I would greatly appreciate for someone to head me in the right direction so my hunting partner can get her first big game animal! We can find the game if just pointed in the right direction. If you look in my past posts you can see us back in February with our Javi. If so inclined feel free to PM or email.

Sorry for the long read…I needed to vent a bit..

Sorry I can't help you with your request. And not meaning to poke a dead puppy, but why didn't you just apply by mail a week ago for the leftover tags when there were thousands left? If there were tags at the beginning of today for the hunt you wanted, you would surely have "drawn" them by mail and not have needed to subject yourself to the long line today.

• Like 1

You can throw a dart at a map of 37B and start there...That unit has pigs in every corner, my only suggestion would be to go deeper into the unit to get away from the crowds.

Stickflicker- you are right I should have applied over the mail last week to save us the emotional turmoil. The laundry list of excuses is long:

Last week I made the transition from the office to home.

I had from 5-16 family members at any given time visiting (read: staying overnight) for the last 15 days up until yesterday. I love family but….

My pool filter sprung a big leak. So my pool is slowly turning green by the minuet. After $1k last year to get it swimmable, I did not want to repeat it.

Etc, etc…

I feel much better now because my daughter has shown me what it important and that focusing on the negative does not do any good. I wish I could have started hunting at my daughters age….

You still have archery deer,archery turkey,and fall bear hunts that are over the counter.Even if you dont draw a tag in Arizona there are still plenty of things to hunt if you really want to.

• Like 2

I have killed a few pigs in 37A. Its been a few years since I hunted that unit but I am sure the herds are still in the same places. If you decide to hunt 37A send me a PM and I can share a few places to start.

If you decide to hunt 37B then contact Ben Brochu the 37B WM. He is a stand up guy and I'm sure he will point you in the right direction, especially being that this is a youth hunt.

-Tracy

• Like 3

I got the same tag also for my youngest. Same deal, never set foot in that unit. I plan on starting scouting at the end of the month.

37b has pigs anywhere u go. I've filled my archery pig tag on opening morning the last four years. Take freeman road from the 79 go down a few miles and take roads going north of freeman. Glass walk glass walk and you'll find pigs. You'll find them in herds of good numbers too. Good luck and have fun

Nothing yet Sir. A new baby in our extended family messed up our weekend scouting trip plans. I will defiantly keep everyone up to date....

Thanks again to all for the help, support, and IM's.

More D

You can throw a dart at a map of 37B and start there...That unit has pigs in every corner, my only suggestion would be to go deeper into the unit to get away from the crowds.

and glass and glass some more. There are tons of pigs in 37B and like he said pretty much everywhere. You can seriously pick any part of the unit away from people and they won't be far. G&F's website has very helpful info regarding the unit also, but just go the next step to get away from everyone else who got the same info you did.

If you need any additional info, feel free to PM me.

Also, try to pick less popular hunts where the odds are greater that she and your kids are drawn. If you want a trophy hunt, put yourself on a separate tag. Archery is always an option :)

Bummer, I was out there years ago on a left over tag and did not see any pigs. I did glass up some nice mulies

I jus did some internet research and I am sure you already know this but google maps is amazing!!!!

alex