Scooter

To Biscuit or not to Biscuit? That is the question.

Dang, I didn't know i was still a beginner after all these years. Lol. I guess all those dead deer and elk should feel stupid that they die from a beginner.

Give it a try. If you don't like it don't use it. GBA is right about the biscuit wearing over time. If you shoot a lot it will wear so it is not fool proof. Nothing is. I shoot one and change mine every year. That is a con that I live with, but the pros, in my mind, out weigh the cons, and that's all that matters. Shoot what gives you the most confidence and run with it. My .02 from a "beginner". :)

Brian

• Like 2

Dang, I didn't know i was still a beginner after all these years. Lol.

I guess all those dead deer and elk should feel stupid that they die from a beginner.

LOL- I think you are an "advanced beginner" -:)

Go with what works.

I just bought a bow from a guy regarded as one of the best "tuners" on Archery Talk. Spent a lot of money on it. When I asked him about rests, he asked what I shoot now and I told him a Whisker Biscuit. His response was "Great rest. Absolutely no downside to sticking with that, especially if you mostly use the bow to hunt with." Basically, the conversation that followed was that there is NO downside. Not enough speed loss to worry about. Not enough tuning issue to worry about ... even with a helical on the fletching, as that is the way the WB's are tested anyway. He is not the only one who has told me this.

Yes ... I shoot a compound with LOTS of mechanical parts (I also shoot a recurve with none). But this is one less part to fail, and I never have to worry about an arrow dropping off the rest if my spot and stalk turns into a run full bore, stop quick and shoot.

• Like 2

Go to your local Fry's and buy the latest edition of Outdoor Life magazine. There is an extensinve comaprison in there comparing the Biscuit versus the drop away. Some pretty good info comparing the effects on arrow speed and accuracy.

I actually get Field and Stream and they did a "mythbusters" article two months ago where they debunked the WB negative info.

• Like 1

Hhmm, I don’t think I have ever seen a recurve with a WB on it. I'm not saying it hasn’t been done but most traditional archers I have seen in the field run around with a finger over their arrow like the Indians did. Which is also what I do with my drop away. Oh that and I have a foam shelf the arrow sits on with my finger over it until I draw it back.

I'm not knocking WB in the least, IMO it’s a great rest. My point is my frustration when people say because its mechanical or because of moving parts I won’t use it, its one more thing that can go wrong. If you pay attention to your equipment and know it inside out there won’t be anything that goes wrong unless the part has an inferior design such as some mechanical BH’s.

If you feel there is a bigger advantage in a WB because in holds the arrow for you then so be it. But to say it has moving parts and still shoot a compound doesn’t sit well with me, I totally disagree with that statement. If its too much trouble to keep up with or to look over and keep operational then that’s one thing. Personally I haven’t had any issues that I didn’t create myself, that wasn’t the rests fault, it was mine. Loose a set screw or bolt out of your WB and see how well it works, it doesn’t have to be a moving part to be defective.

GBA

I think I'm going to temporarily put it on the bow and get it tuned up to hit with my sights and keep it in reserve for a backup, should my NAP 360 fail (again). That way both rests are good to go in the even they are needed.

I shot a WB for years, and just loved it. I tinker, so I cut away some of the whiskers where my fletching went through, and pretty much just left it thick at the bottom. Enough up top for containment. I've never been into FPS as much as accuracy, so I never gave a second thought to 8 or 10 FPS lost. It was just a "no brainer" with full containment, consistent draw and release, good accuracy, no moving parts, what's not to love?

However, when I bought my last bow, I had it set up with a QAD Ultra Pro HD drop away - and I have to say I'm a convert. With my trusty old Wisker Biscuit I had some tuning issues and had a really hard time getting broadheads and field points to hit together. I never really liked the full contact approach, but it didn't bother me much either. But switching to the QAD, my groups shrunk immediately, tuning issues were literally non-existent.

To be fair, I switched bows when I switched rests, but my old bow was a Bowtech Allegiance, which is generally a pretty easy bow to tune, but I had a VERY hard time not only getting broadheads to hit with field points, but getting two brands of "top-of-the-line" broadheads to hit together consistently. I destroyed a couple targets and countless broadheads trying to get to that "sweet spot" where everything just works. For me, it never did.

Then I got a Hoyt CRX 35 with a QAD drop away and some Easton ACC pro hunters - groups were cut in half, I can shoot any broadhead I want - Muzzy, Slick Trick, Magnus Stingers and Buzzcut, G5 Montec or Strikers, and everything just flies together. I've actually had two fletchings cut off one arrow by the second and third arrow, all with different broadheads at 30 yards.

Don't get me wrong, I loved the Wisker Biscuit for a LONG time and had nothing but great things to say, until I started shooting a QAD drop away, and realized things just got a whole lot easier all on their own.

Man guess I REALLY struck a nerve there GOTBOWAZ!!!! Hahaha. I don't care who you are and it doesn't matter what kind of bow you shoot. THE LESS MOVING PARTS YOU HAVE THE LESS CHANCE YOU HAVE OF A FAILURE. You CANNOT argue against that!!!

Yes compound bounds have tons of moving parts. And if you are up and up on your maintenance you most likely will not experience any problems. I have no argument against you there.

There is no reason why you should not be able to make any type of rest work for you. Fall aways, bowdoodles, whisker biscuits, you name it they all work. In the end its what you prefer. I PREFER LESS MOVING PARTS!!! Doesn't matter if its just one out 1000. Its a difference.

Its no different then having an old style peep sight with the tubing that attaches to back of the riser so that the peep lines up every time vs the common style peep sight most people use today. Yeah you keep up on your maintenance and replace that little piece of tubing all the time and you shouldn't have to worry about the tube snapping in half when you draw your bow. But if you place a top of the line new peep sight in there, make sure that the string is set perfectly so it lines up every time you draw back, you eliminate the tubing (moving part) you don't have to worry about it anymore.

Whats the goal there? Same as my point with the whisker biscuit. I don't have to worry about that stupid piece of tubing attached to my peep. I don't have to worry about the little string that connects the rest in the cable getting caught on brush and pulling the serving used to hold it in place up the cable so it doesn't lift or drop the rest depending on brand. Or the internal mechanisms inside that rest not working properly. I have just seen those rests do too many weird things to make me want to get one. Yes things can go wrong with any part, set screws, whatever you want to say or compare to. Yes the whiskers get worn out. This can go wrong that can go wrong. Thats not the point. Those things can go wrong with any rest or any part on the bow for that matter. You have to compare APPLES TO APPLES. The apples to apples point is.........THE WHISKER BISCUIT HAS LESS THINGS THAT CAN GO WRONG WITH IT VS A FALL AWAY REST! I prefer them because of this.

We haven't even got to the subject of whether or not the rest can actually get out of the way before the fletchings get to it either BWHAHAHA!!! Or in your case GOTBOWAZ how much does it affect the mystical flight of the arrow having those fletchings pass through those whiskers. Maybe we should have a contest and see who can shoot the best while hanging upside down!!! Bet you I would win with my Whiskers. LOL I am Just Joking of course, and please don't take any of that personal.

In the end, You can say what you want but I think my point is pretty fool proof and hard to argue. My 2 cents

I switched to a whisker biscuit years ago after an arrow slipped off my old rest and "clinked" on the bow during a stalk! Whisker Biscuit solves that problem. Now I am by no means an expert archer, but I LOVE being able to stalk with my arrow in place and knowing it won't slip. I haven't had any trouble with accuracy but I don't shoot long range.....

• Like 1

I'm just wondering who said they shot a recurve with a WB? Wasn't me. Saw a guy spoil one with a TM Hunter once...I use a felt shelf.

Truth is I thought about a drop away on my new rig. Reputable tuner on AT said if I never had issues with a WB before, why switch.?Good rest. Fool proof. What's not to like?

Fact is that if one item has 51 mechanical parts and another has 50, which has the statistically greater chance to failvgiven equal maintenance?