Sign in to follow this  
naturegirl

drop tine bucks - how rare are they?

Well I had asked myself before archery season what kind of buck it would take for me to give up my Nov WT tag and I believe I've found the answer. We came on a group of 3 big mule deer bucks and the very 1st thing I saw was a big ol drop tine on the left side of the biggest buck.

My husband missed a shot on him, but I'm thinking we may head back up since I'm pretty confident of his general location. I'm curious how often people come across bucks with a drop tine?

EDIT: I completely forgot that last year I had an experience with a much smaller buck with a DT. It was about 10 or so miles from the one we saw this weekend. Very interesting.

I can't recall ever seeing one in my lifetime. :(

TJ

once in twelve years, north of dynamite and 172 ave, but he bailed out on my stalk. Put one in him for all of us that want one! Good Luck

I've seen two... One was about 12-13 years ago and the other was just last year. He was a decent buck last year and my cousin almost took him but some does got in the way of the shot and we didn't pursue him too much after that. He was a decent buck and the drop tine was enough to make him a shooter but I'm confident he is still around and has the potential to be really cool this year!

I've only seen one and he had matching 8 inch double drops on each side. Had him at 60 yards during 2009 september elk hunt.

I've seen a few but I believe they are definitely not the norm and would be considered some what rare. I personally would give up a November tag in a heart beat.

I saw one in january and he was awesome! now I hAve the mule deer bug bad!!! And Im a coues hunter thru and thru! almost sounds like the buck I was chasing in january in a unit east of the valley.

It would be cool to see pics LifeFeedsOnLife & arizonelitefreak :) or if anyone has any pics they've taken over the years. I sure wish my camera wasn't put away in my pack, but it was.

I've seen bigger bucks, but just nothing that looked like him and he's plenty big in my book. I got a pretty good look at his drop tine. It was plenty visible without the binos, but thru the binos it was just that much better. Now that I think about it I couldn't tell you much about his rack except it was good sized with plenty of points. I honestly couldn't stop looking at the drop tine and hoping they continued walking right toward my husband.. Just one of those things if only he was just 20 yards closer. It almost came together, but dang deer just decide which way they want to walk.