Sign in to follow this  
mpriest

Velvety deer for 2013

Well it took me 6 days of hunting and a lot of debating with myself whether I should shave or not but I finally got the job done on Saturday night.

I was sitting a blind that I had drew on a nice buck the night before but never got a shot at while my brother was sitting a ridge he could glass from. He called and told be he had three bucks down below him so I packed my gear up and ran up the hill. By the time I got there they were bedded down across a ravine only 120 yards away. I left my pack with him and began the stalk. About an hour later I was 45 yards from him while he was in his bed. I was hiding behind a rock but the angle was bad and I had some brush between me and him so i decided to back out and re-position myself. Another half hour later I was 40 yards away but I still needed to get up another 10 yards to get a shot. The bucks got up and began to feed around so I picked up the pace to cover the last 10 yards. I watched them feed around for 5 minutes until this guy finally gave me a 40 yard shot. He was quartering to me so I hit him just in front of the lead shoulder blade and the broadhead hit the opposite humorous and stopped. He went 60 yards and piled up and had a massive blood trail. This was my first time using shwackers and i'm pretty impressed. My entry hole was 3.5 inches long.

We cut and wrapped him on Sunday morning and he is now frozen in my freezer ready to make lots of burritos!

post-8923-0-20507100-1378181109_thumb.jpeg

post-8923-0-60924900-1378181135_thumb.jpeg

post-8923-0-57724300-1378181458_thumb.jpg

The pack out

post-8923-0-73749900-1378180933_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

Great story. Nice buck with stick and string. Congrats

Thanks for sharing your hunt here. Congratulations on a nice buck. :)

TJ

great job,super buck....I hope those burros are muy grande and green chili! gettin hungry, get some good quality tortillas made with lard.