Sign in to follow this  
idgaf

Can you hunt Javelina with a spear??

Pretty sure the answer is NO. Feral hogs might be different.

You cannot! I wanted to this Jan. and talked to many people at G$F before i got the answer of no you may not.

Well..........let's see if we can provide some help here.

For as long as I can remember (yesterday? :rolleyes:), the little diddy at the bottom has been in the spring regulations book where the permit numbers are listed for each unit. See RED text and take note that spears are not listed under the Legal Methods of Take.

And...if one would go to pg. 108 of the main hunt regulations that has deer, etc., there's a dandy chart on for all the huntable critters in the state. For each one, there's a check mark for weapons in the full list that are legal. A spear isn't listed.

And...if one would go to pg. 125 of the main hunt regulations, there are almost two full pages under:

R12-4-304

Lawful Methods for Taking Wild Mammals,

Birds, and Reptiles

A snippet from the above rule:

7. To take javelina:

a. Centerfire rifles;

b. Muzzleloading rifles;

c. All other rifles using black powder or synthetic

black powder;

d. Centerfire handguns;

e. Handguns using black powder or synthetic

black powder;

f. Shotguns shooting slugs, only;

g. Pre-charged pneumatic weapons .35 caliber or

larger;

h. Bows with a standard pull of 30 or more lbs,

using arrows with broadheads no less than 7/8

inch in width with metal cutting edges;

i. Crossbows with a minimum draw weight of

125 lbs, using bolts with a minimum length of

16 inches and broadheads no less than 7/8 inch

in width with metal cutting edges or bows as

described in subsection (A)(7)(h) to be drawn

and held with an assisting device;

j. .22 rimfire magnum rifles; and

k. 5 mm rimfire magnum rifles.

LEGAL REQUIREMENTS

License Required

Any valid hunting or combination license except a Three-Day Hunting (Class H) (See tables on page 4 for Resident and Non-resident license fees).

Tag Required:

Hunt permit-tag obtained only through application and draw process as prescribed in R12-4-104 and R12-4-114. EXCEPT

for Archery-Only Javelina in (Units 11M, 25M, 26M, and 38M and General Javelina in the Mohawk Valley Hunt Area where

a hunt nonpermit-tag must be obtained from a license dealer as prescribed in R12-4-114.

Hunt Numbers Required:

When applying for big game hunt permit-tags, you must use hunt numbers.

Legal Methods of Take

General Hunt and Juniors-Only Hunt: Any firearm, pre-charged pneumatic weapon, crossbow or bow and arrow as prescribed in R12-4-304. HAM: Handguns, muzzleloading rifles, muzzleloading handguns, crossbow, or bow and arrow as prescribed in R12-4-318. Archery-Only Hunt: Bow and arrow as prescribed in R12-4-304 and R12-4-318, and crossbow as

prescribed in R12-4-216.

Bag Limit

Two (2) javelina per calendar year (except as prescribed in R12-4-120) with no more than one (1) javelina taken per open

area as defined in each hunt number. The bag limit may be filled in any combination of permit-tag (draw tag or firstcome

left over draw tag as long as differing hunt numbers) or nonpermit-tag (over-the-counter tag) hunts as prescribed

in R12-4-114. No more than one (1) permit-tag shall be issued per hunter through the initial draw.

To hunt javelina in Arizona, you need a valid hunting or combination license and a javelina tag. To hunt javelina in General, Juniors-Only, HAM and Archery-Only seasons, you must apply for and obtain a hunt permit-tag through the draw. To hunt javelina in an Archery-Only Nonpermit Tag season, you may purchase a nonpermit-tag from a license dealer as prescribed in R12-4-114.

The Department offers “Juniors-Only” designated hunts, in which persons are eligible to participate up to their 18th birthday. A youth hunter, whose 18th birthday occurs during a “Juniors-Only” designated hunt for which the hunter has a valid permit or tag, may continue to participate for the duration of the “Juniors-Only” designated hunt. Provided that persons between the ages of 10 and 13 must have satisfactorily completed a Hunter Education Course that is approved by the Director as per ARS 17-335 (C ). A youth must pay the higher fee unless applying only for “Juniors-Only” hunts

Guest oneshot
that would be 1 pissed of pecury

But it would be one heck of a hunt WildWoody... Pa allows some hunting with the atlatal for deer, might have to go for them this fall... I cant remember the name of the guy that pushed this through in PA, I've seen him at the AACA show and they are crazy accurate, even for first-timers, think throwing darts... Note: even after bow and arrow systems came on the scene in Az(1000+years ago), Native Americans prefered the atlatal for taking game in the south-west ... More range and harder hitting...

Someone needs to push this through G&F to get passed?

Not a pig expert...but I know javi's like to come to the defense of their own. Are feral hogs the same way? I know many places let you spear hogs, but would it be less safe to spear a javi? Could you imagine watching that...hunter spears javi, javi's buddies spear hunter multiple times.

or clone a wooly mammoth and get a bunch friends in loin cloths with spears.. Tony do you know the protocol to change the rules with G&F? I know I am out of luck for 2014 but I can get started on 2015.

or clone a wooly mammoth and get a bunch friends in loin cloths with spears.. Tony do you know the protocol to change the rules with G&F? I know I am out of luck for 2014 but I can get started on 2015.

thats what im talking about dude, some serious caveman hunting.

heres jared allen spearing an elk. id want to sneak up on one though.

There is an email for the rules committee. I'll see if I have it somwhere. If not I'll track it down this week.

thats what im talking about dude, some serious caveman hunting.

heres jared allen spearing an elk. id want to sneak up on one though.

I am pretty sure that buffalo wasn't even hurt by the spear. It looked like it hit him sideways. The gash in the elk was pretty gnarly though.