Sign in to follow this  
creed

Snow chains in mud

Anyone ever use them in the mud? I don't know much about them since I am a desert native. I have a set for 16" tires but have since bought another pickup since the last time I used them. Can you squeeze a set of 16's on 17's? As much as it is raining I am starting to think chains are going to be the only way I am going to get back in where I want to be.

I am loaded up and ready to go!

post-3211-0-15727100-1378766829_thumb.jpg

I'm pretty sure they make chains according to tire size, not the rim size. A set if chains that are for a 265/70r17 can be used on a 265/75r16 also. I'd try them on for fit and go from there. I think they will fit a wide range if tires also.

Hornhunter is right but you can buy chain with extra length and just cut them to size in a matter of minutes. I have done with with "walmart" chains for all my vehicles. If you have never put them on I would encourage you to practice or at least have an extra pair of hands to help you out there (you can do it alone though).

You should have no issues with chains, even if you are up to your axle you can still get out of the majority of situations with them on. Just be smart about it....nothing worse them wasting an entire evening getting yourself out of mud because you gambled and lost hahaha....I say that from experience.

When driving is snow, there is usually a hard bottom underneath somewhere. The chains grip well when they reach that bottom. With mud, chains will help if they have something to grip, but if the mud is so deep that your chassis drags, they probably won't do much. I am pretty worried about getting stuck this weekend. It seems the ground turns to mush in the areas elk like the best. Good luck.

• Like 1

Oh and here's a great tip for those that haven't used chains much, put them on BEFORE you need them!!!! Lol I'm always that guy that is covered in mud because I didn't. Good luck out there guys!

I have a buddy who is up guiding in 27 starting this weekend. He headed in a couple of days ago to scout some more, get set up, and get ready for clients. He was already stuck and calling in a wrecker not long after arriving. Good luck, drive slow, and be safe!

the best thing for mud is skinnier ties, i have 9" but preffer 8" but hard to find, don't think chains will help much and letting air out works on sand but it causes more surface area witch isn't good skinny tires give less serface area to plow threw the mud. you guys with the big huge 12" + tires good luck. learned this from an old aps worker in 6a near apache maid mnt. when i was 16 yrs old. he had 8" truck tires and we were pullen everybody out with the wide tires. time to hunt on foot. goodluck to all can"t wait for 5b south

• Like 3

Anyone ever use them in the mud? I don't know much about them since I am a desert native. I have a set for 16" tires but have since bought another pickup since the last time I used them. Can you squeeze a set of 16's on 17's? As much as it is raining I am starting to think chains are going to be the only way I am going to get back in where I want to be.

I am loaded up and ready to go!

If you camp right off the 82 and 704 it will be muddy but you can take your side by side anywhere in the unit, not sure how far you are going down the 704.the 82 is graded all the way to long lake but at times can get a little bad for a rig you are pulling,everyone camps several miles in but ,why would you when you have a atv.

Seldom Drawn

I have a buddy who is up guiding in 27 starting this weekend. He headed in a couple of days ago to scout some more, get set up, and get ready for clients. He was already stuck and calling in a wrecker not long after arriving. Good luck, drive slow, and be safe!

So I hear! Lol

I have been using chains in mud for years. They are the best. Nothing compares including letting air out of the tires or having skinnier tires, although both of those things do help. Mud fills the treads then its slick on slick rock. chains bite the rocks. They also act like additional treads on the side walls as well.

I learned the hard way not to go with cheap snow chains. Buy heavy duty chains, otherwise it sux to be in the mud taking off chains that just wrapped around your axles, and then guess what?? your stuck and your jack is sunk too!

I had a 2 wheel drive ford F150 pull a Chevy Duramax 4 by 4 out of a deep mud hole 2 years ago and I backed the truck up into the same hole he was stuck in. A little embarrassing for the dude with the 4 by 4 Chevy but a testament to what chains can do in the mud.

Over the holiday weekend I was in 5BN (Marshal Lake area) with my 39 foot fifth wheel. Im sure most know about the rain, we got hammered. My buddy and I were in deep mud. We jacked up the truck, put on the chains and pulled the trailer out up a slight hill with no issues other than getting my hands a little muddy taking the chains back off. I have a F250 power stroke 4 by 4 now. I only chained up the rear tires. If I was to go out in this stuff now, I would definitely chain up front and back

As someone said, put the chains on up on dry ground or gravel before you head in. I also carry an extra board to put my jack on. A pair of irrigation boots and a small tarp go a long ways too. Good luck to you all headed out this weekend, kill a good one and be safe!

GBA

• Like 3

Thanks for the advice guys. I am going to go drag the chains out of storage and see if they will fit my tire size. If they don't does anyone know where they can be purchased in the Valley or is that not going to happen? It's not like we have a snow problem here in September or any other month for that matter.

Creed, i ordered mine on line.

Non-typical, I don't run the chains on maintained roads, just the legal roads off of them. Usually there isnt any problems on maintained roads. The ones that aren't are nasty if you have chains or not. The roads I travel the rocks are rough as heck and probably basket ball sized. I don't think chains are going to make those roads any worse.

GBA

I dug these chains out but have one more question......what do you guys do for tensioners? I can get them pulled up but I don't think they will stay.

post-3211-0-23317600-1378835216_thumb.jpg