rackemup

lions without a dog...can it be done?

Well I just moved back to Arizona after a 6 year stent in the army...I didnt put in for any hunts this year but now that fall getting closer the fever is starting to kick in. I was thinking of buying a lion tag and at least getting out there. My question is am I wasting my time without a guide and dogs? I have heard that the best lion repelent is having a tag in your pocket. I live in kingman and have been told that Im surounded by some great lion realestate but that its flat imposible to get one without a guide. Any tips that you can give me would be great.

Thanks

Shaun

Guest oneshot

Short answer... Yes you can call them in by yourself without dogs or a guide... Mark will prob check-in with some super help,tips... Check back in Mt lion section for other help... Always get a lion tag, you will kick your self if one pops-up and your tagless...

Thank You for your Service, Welcome Home, and Welcome to CWT....

Good Luck

I know several people that have done it. The odds are definitely tough. I have tried to get a shot at long range several times and have not been able to pull it off. They are constantly moving, and it just takes the right set up to make it happen. I will say that any excuse to be out hunting is a good one :)

• Like 1

A few years ago a few CWT members got their lions in the same year it seems. Don't go tagless.

• Like 1

Buy the tag, find some rocks to sit on, then glass your a$$ off! lol Check washes for tracks and scat. It can be done, just get out there and have fun! Dont let others tell you it cant be done just because they wont go try!

• Like 1

Killed mine with no dogs, but in the end its all a crap shoot. I have seen I think 6 and only killed one. Had a pair come in to the call, but only saw them for a second, there were 2 when I killed mine (buddy killed the other), and I had one jump out about 15 yards from me a couple years ago as I was packing out a buck and slipped and fell. He ran when I hit the dirt, and was was somewhat behind me and off the to the side. Spooky stuff! I had walked that trail up, and was now walking it down.

• Like 1

Yes, it can be done. I have been fortunate enough to take 3 in my lifetime. I just happen to be in the right place at the right time. I don't spend as much the time in the field as I use to but I would say that is why I have seen 13 so far. The more time you are out there the more your chances are of seeing a lion. My first lion was shot while I was deer hunting in unit 24B many years ago. It was a lucky 200 yrd running shot after I missed the first shot. My second cat was shot at 8 yrds from my double blind, sitting on a water hole, during an archery hunt on Sept 1st in unit 22N. My third cat was also shot out of my double bull blind while sitting with my dad on his deer hunt. My brother-in-law calls me lucky and likely so but I have spent more hours than the average hunter in the field and feel this contributes to some of my luck.

Here are a couple pictures of my last two.

post-1903-0-24122900-1379087954_thumb.jpg

I was shaking so bad I could hardly stand after being eyball to eyeball with this lion.

post-1903-0-95026500-1379088133_thumb.jpg

post-1903-0-13588100-1379089636_thumb.jpg

I shot this deer less than 24hrs before taking the cat out of the same blind. My dad then took his deer less than 24hrs after the lion was killed.

post-1903-0-71735300-1379090744_thumb.jpg

This will more than likely be dad's last deer because of his health.

I hope this encourages you to purchase a lion tag. Hopefully a little of my luck will rub off on ya. Good luck on using your lion tag.

TJ

• Like 6

Always buy a tag at the first of the year. I glassed one up across a canyon one year while deer hunting, shot him head on with a 7mag. Bullet went in and out the same shoulder and I ended up blood trailing him into a manzanita thicket and killed him at about 10 feet. I felt like I was in Africa on a dangerous game safari. Great memory. Glassed up another one on a junior hunt over a kill. Didn't have a tag but my son and I stalked within 30 yards before he moved off. The closer we got the lower into the grass he got. I kept telling my son that if the cat charged he would have to take him out, fun stuff, he still talks about how neat of an experience and how scared he was. Had a small one at thirty yards on a junior turkey hunt. I had a tag but it just didn't feel right to fill his face full of fours. Let him walk, first and only one my daughter has seen. Always buy a tag, if the opportunity arises you will have the legal option to make a decision to take it.

• Like 1

If you're planning on buying a lion tag, and goin out spcifically to kill one without dogs - you are going to have a very hard time doing so. These guys have killed lions while hunting for other species; they got lucky. TJ, you've killed 3 which is awesome, but how many years and trips did it take to accomplish that? I killed one sitting water, but that's the only lion I've ever seen doing that. I've heard lions courting a few times and found them that way, but again that's such a rare instance. Not saying it can't be done, but your chances are very very slim. Heck, guys go out with dogs all the time and don't kill.

• Like 1

Just get the tag, set up in a concealed spot with a good reliable rifle and shotgun (maybe pistol too), and start calling using normal deer sounds near areas that have lots of deer traffic. Through a little talking to biologists, they say an adult lion kills aand/or feeds on deer approximately every 4-5 days. So if you see some lion and deer sign in the same area I think those are about the best odds you can get without dogs. Plus you'll probably call in a few other critters that need thinning and skinning so it's double exciting! good luck...

*EDIT: I've never killed a lion and I don't really want to get that close to them... I've had a few bobcats sneak up to within 5 feet behind me and I just can't imagine what my undies would look like if it were a lion.

• Like 1

Thanks for the tips guys! I'm going to give it a shot, I have never hunted lion before so this is all going to be new to me...what calls am i going to want/need

Your drawing skill appear to be high end, I love charcoal and pencil work???? If you have anything for sale let me know???

In your area I have seen several lions at long distance glassing sycamore canyon in unit 8. Up towards White horse Lake Area and there is a trail that heads off the rim on FR505 or 125 or something South West of Perkinsville road and I have seen sign there as well but not seen cats.

I just hiked Loy Canyon Trail in Sedona Unit 6B and saw more scat than I have ever before in any area. Like 8 different piles.

Good luck with the cats, I buy a tag every year just in case but have not hunted them but 1 time.

• Like 1

mulepackhunter, thanks for the compliment on my drawing and the tips on the cats!...I have never really commissioned any art work but if there is something you want drawn I could take a swing at it.

heres a better shot of the deer in my avitar...

15hfyg6.jpg

• Like 1