Sign in to follow this  
out2hunt

Prayers Answered

After proudly waiting nine years to draw a unit 9 tag, I realized that I had never been able to enjoy hunting these great animals due to the unit I was after. Never having killed an elk before made it seem silly to wait for a trophy unit, when my desire was to hunt. I drew 5A this year with ten points, tag number 4. At 734 am I fulfilled my dream of hunting these great animals by stalking in on bugles and taking my first elk with a bow.

post-1272-0-01863200-1379458537_thumb.jpg

Let me take you to the beginning of the morning as we sat at 4 am in the dark listening for that first good bugle. The breeze was slightly to the northeast and crisp to the body, my butterflies were the only thing keeping my mind off of it. Sitting still has always been an issue for me and today was no different. I sat with my head bowed, deep in prayer for all things to go as planned, a safe trip with good friends and a successful hunt for one of his great creatures. Shot placement was always at the top of my concern knowing how tough the animals are and not wanting to wound one. As the first bugles began to ring out Kevin say's to me,"let's go" and we are off, stumbling into the darkness after the most wonderful sound in the world. After a mile and a half we ran into a logging road and decided to start walking it, moments later Kevin says "don't move" and I stop immediately to check my perimeter and there stands a 6x6 with a gorgeous tan hide just 50 yards away. He is hidden well enough that I didn't have a shot and then I realized that more elk were feeding around him, bulls and cows with their heads down until one cow became alert. Another bull, chocolate as the day is long, steps around a pinion and into the road 40 yards ahead of us. Now we are in a pickle because we are kneeling in the middle of a road with no cover. As the bull stepped forward his shoulders lowered and head raised as he checked the wind for scent. Boom they are off and running to the west, but wait, my bull has bolted north with cows in tow. We needed to get the wind right and that would only happen if we somehow got ahead of them. We bolt down the road and through a few draws at the bottom of the feeder canyon, then we begin to head back to the west and hear him bugle out of the canyon to the south of us! The wind is in our favor now and we decide to ascend the 300 yard ridge to get on top of him. On top we play cat and mouse with him as he feeds back and forth in the canyon, racking trees and bugling about every ten minutes. Eventually his bugle seems west of us so i decide to peek over the rock outcropping we were behind and they were feeding towards the top at 85 yards. We book it back to the top and run to the west about 25 yards and drop to our knees behind a log. As the shadows of the elk crept through the trees, backed by the glory of first morning light, he stepped into view. Kevin says "58 yards" and I draw, but he decides that stepping into the clearing might not be such a good idea. After about two minutes of holding my shoulder started to shake and i drew down. Just as I do that Kevin say's "cow, don't move" and as I raised my eyes I could see her about thirty yards away. As she decided to step towards the opening the bull decided that it was safe and stepped out of behind two oaks and presented a 60 yard shot. As he stopped to look around Kevin say's "60 yards" and I let the muzzy mx3 fly and without a doubt the most slow motion surreal shot took place. Watching the pink nocturnal nock fly through the dim morning light and BOOM right in the sweet spot, did that just happen I said with a shaking voice and Kevin replied "you did it man, great shot, I'm so proud of you" and the emotions over took me. Tears of joy streamed down my face as the reality all began to come into focus, I had just fulfilled a dream!

post-1272-0-48896100-1379460056_thumb.jpg

Thank you to my close friend Kevin for helping me with the entire hunt from scouting to success. He taught me how to use the gutless method, especially due to our remote location.

post-1272-0-03313100-1379460157_thumb.jpg

He also kept all of you informed about the hunt for me as my tmobile service only works between 19th ave and 35th ave and bell rd to union hills!

post-1272-0-34923100-1379460249_thumb.jpg

As Kevin spotted my bull and said there he is, I stumbled over to him as quickly as I could in total disbelief, All prayers had been answered. Some times we all get guilty of wondering if we are being heard and does he really care about me enough to listen. Never has my faith been affirmed so clearly, so I want to share this with all of you, My dream come true!post-1272-0-61669000-1379460356_thumb.jpg

• Like 7

That's awesome! Congrats on a successful adventure and a beautiful bull!

• Like 1

You've got some great memories with a great friend right there. Here is to you continuing to find adventures and making the best of them.

Congratulations on your success.

• Like 2

Great write up and congrats on a sweet first bull! nothing better than an early archery bull hunt weather its in 5A or 9 its just a great time of year!

• Like 1

Great write up buddy. Couldn't have told it any better. Absolute blessing to be with you on your first bull hunt and my first rut hunt. And the good lord blessed us both with a awesome time. Now that we got your first out of the way its time to start slaying some toads in my backyard. he next chapter of this story will continue on my late archery hunt. Cant wait for you to be on that also. Honor to have you as one of my very great friends. God bless you Ken. Congrats

• Like 1

He will be mounted looking right by Chris Kruegar at Kruegar's Creations. Everything I have taken him has come back as alive looking as possible so finger's crossed for the same result! Thank you all for your support! God Bless you too Kevin, I am proud to be there for you and cant wait to continue the memories!

That's the way to get it done. Congratulations on a great bull.

• Like 1

Congratulations! Someday I hope to take a bull with an arrow!

• Like 1