Sign in to follow this  
kazpilot25

Best Turkey Units in AZ

So I've built up some bonus points for Turkey over the past several years and am ready to put in for the spring hunt. I'm pretty sure I can get drawn, just have no idea where to put in. Are there any units that are "prime" turkey units like the 12's and 13's for deer? Any help would be much appreciated.

The most sought after tags in AZ are any Gould’s unit. I think the bonus pass is around 16 points or more for those hunts. If you want to hunt Merriam’s unit 1, 27 & 12A have the largest flocks in the state with 23 and 6A not far behind. Tags are usually fairly easy to draw. Don’t put in for 12A there will be leftover tags in that unit if you don’t draw out in other units and are willing to drive that far for a Turkey. Hope this helps.

• Like 1

Thanks. That's pretty much what I'm looking for. I don't plan on hunting Gould's, I'm happy with Merriam's. I just have no experience with Turkey so thought I'd ask. Any difference between the earlier hunt and the week later hunt? I see the odds are tougher and success rates higher for the earlier hunts. Any reason for this, or just because it's before the other?

With turkey there is always a handful of 2 year old uneducated birds that come running to calls and are the advantage to having the first hunts. With the youth hunt now going the week before the adults it seems like all the advantage of being the first in the woods is gone. I would guess there are more older birds killed in the second season because the hens usually start laying eggs around this time and older toms can get lonely and be easier to call but this can vary year to year. I have called in and killed birds on both the early and the late hunts and enjoy both seasons.

Thanks for the help. When I get drawn I'll have to contact you for a call and some more pointers. ;)

dang the point pass is 16...... wow I have 13 I thought I was gettin close...... and it amazes me how many people I know that have drawn the tag multiple times now too.... I'm not complaining just crazy...... I think the more bonus points you have the worse your odds are....lol

/>dang the point pass is 16...... wow I have 13 I thought I was gettin close...... and it amazes me how many people I know that have drawn the tag multiple times now too.... I'm not complaining just crazy...... I think the more bonus points you have the worse your odds are....lol

Ha ain't that the truth!

dang the point pass is 16...... wow I have 13 I thought I was gettin close...... and it amazes me how many people I know that have drawn the tag multiple times now too.... I'm not complaining just crazy...... I think the more bonus points you have the worse your odds are....lol

You are forgetting how easy it is to accumulate points for Turkey with 2 draws each year (fall & spring). The difference between your 13 and 16 is only 1 1/2 year of points.

• Like 1

There's also the spring and fall OTC tags for archery. I'll bet taking a turkey with a bow is a blast

The Goulds should be once in a life time as few as there are. The guys who go for a second tag are selfish. I know I whouldnt do it ,But I have common sense and whould let others have a chance. Just my OP...........BOB!

• Like 1