Sign in to follow this  
mr.smith

An apology and a bit of a brag

In the past I have been critical of long range shots. That was based purely on ignorance and assumptions based on the equipment I was using and my own knowledge (or lack thereof) of what I felt I could do with my rifle. I recently won a giveaway on Facebook for a Long Range shooting package. It included an all expenses paid trip to Thompson Long Range shooting course in Logan Utah and a Weatherby Mark V Accumark in 30-378 topped with a Leupold VX3 4.5-14x40 with a custom long range reticle. At the course, Mark Thompson explained the principles of setting up the rifle for accuracy, ballistics, creating a load, and shooting long range in a variety of conditions. We put the rifle together, built the load, bore sighted and then hit the range. First shot I hit a 36" plate at 700yds. We dialed it in to a nice group and then did the same at 800, 900, and 1000yds. I then took a crack at a white rock at 1300 yds and hit it. I now have a new appreciation of what a well setup rifle with enough speed and power can do at distance. This may very well be a paradigm shift for how I hunt. It was an amazing, eye opening experience that I feel very fortunate to have had.

With that; my sincere apologies if I called you unethical or an idiot for taking the long shot. I didn't know any better.

DSCF1778_zps012bfb4d.jpg

The bolt is open for safety (the gun isnt even loaded in this pic) as the guy taking the picture was in front of the firing line.

Please don't turn this into a debate over the merits of Marks system vs turrets and gizmos. That is not my intention at all.

• Like 6

With that; my sincere apologies if I called you unethical or an idiot for taking the long shot. I didn't know any better.

Says a lot to come back and share that! Congratulations on that package, sounds like one sweet deal!
  • Like 4

Nice. Congrats.

Hopefully they got into retained energy at range, and what it takes to humanely take an animal at some distance benchmarks. It can certainly be done.

• Like 1

Its pretty awesome to see what rifles are capable of doing with a little work and lots if practice.

• Like 1

Nice. Congrats.

Hopefully they got into retained energy at range, and what it takes to humanely take an animal at some distance benchmarks. It can certainly be done.

We did discuss that. With a BC of .507 and a muzzle velocity of 3350 the load we created has 1902 fps and 1445 ft-lbs at 1000yds. Still plenty of oompf at range. I doubt I'll ever shoot that far at game. But, now I know I could if the situation warrants it and the conditions are within my comfort zone.

Nice. Congrats.

We did discuss that. With a BC of .507 and a muzzle velocity of 3350 the load we created has 1902 fps and 1445 ft-lbs at 1000yds. Still plenty of oompf at range. I doubt I'll ever shoot that far at game. But, now I know I could if the situation warrants it and the conditions are within my comfort zone.

Nice. Sounds like you have more than plenty of energy for our game here in the States.

Very cool.

What did you think of the class? would you recommend it to other shooters?

Kudos to Thompson Long Range and the support the give.

Enjoy your new rifle

I really enjoyed the course. Mark Thompson is a pretty inspiring dude to be around. I learned a lot. Especially since this was my first exposure to load development and reloading. I would definitely recommend it but, I wasn't the one shelling out the money for it.

Mr Smith,

A good friend and I went to see Mark two summers ago with the same results. It is amazing the system he has put together. This is a true hunting set up which is what I wanted. I didn’t want to have to turn turrets with animals moving around. It is amazing to hit a 1000 or even a 1300 yard target with a rifle that you have never shot before in your life. This is repeated every weekend with Mark. I wouldn’t have believed it until I went to the course myself. It is just incredible to come away with the same experience. The only problem the gun is, it is the only gun that all my kids want to shoot now! My 10 year old son killed a bull elk at 350 yards, one shot. He doesn’t like to shoot his .270 anymore because it “kicks too much”. I killed a deer at 530 yards, again one shot. It is very doable with the proper set up and proper coaching of how’s, why’s and why not’s. That is very cool that you got the system for free. Can’t beat that, but it was worth the price in my book. I have never regretted the purchase. You put a smile on my face reading your post today.

I noticed you live in Flagstaff so do I. I sure would like to find a good location to shoot a 1000 yard shot. If you have found a good place let me know.

That's great that you won that package! Big of you to make that admission too. Let's see some pic's of your future kills!

Fingers crossed I get an antelope tag. I hope to share many great hunts with this rifle.