Sign in to follow this  
kazpilot25

How Long Can the Meat Hang?

So I'm going up to unit 7 for a mule deer hunt in a couple weeks and have a question. After the kill is made, field dressed, and skinned, how long can you have the meat hang in camp before it starts to go bad? I know alot of it has to do with temperature, but according to the forecast we're looking at high 50's in the day and high 20's at night.

Any ideas. I want to say Casey from Casey's told me a couple years ago it could hang for a couple days without problem in that weather, but I'm positive.

+1 to the bugs. Realistically it can sit there for a LONG time as long as it is not too hot or in direct sun light. I had my latest kill in a field dressing bag/game bag for 7 hours. (4 during cleaning/hiking out & 3 on the drive home). It doesn't hurt it at all just keep it dry and cool and you are fine.

If it is out of the heat meat can literally hang until it drys out on its own.

I could be wrong but was told not to let meat freeze over night in the 20's and then thaw out in the day time 50's.

• Like 1

Last year I let mine hang for a whole week. Just had the whole carcass (gutted and skinned) hanging in the shade under a tree before I butchered it up. Kept the bugs off and it was never cold enough to freeze at night so I didn't have to worry about it freezing and thawing every day.

I believe most meat lockers are set to around 40 degrees and they hang beef for up to 3 weeks. A deer can not hang as long due to its body mass being much smaller of course. With those types of temperature i would feel comfortable leaving it up for at least 3-4 days, as long as it is in the shade most all of the time. Also you can spread a little crushed pepper on the animal(not too much) and that will help alot with the bugs.

• Like 1

I figure a game bag would help with the bugs, but I like the pepper idea too. I never really thought about it freezing... hmm...

I figure a game bag would help with the bugs, but I like the pepper idea too. I never really thought about it freezing... hmm...

Be careful with some of those game bags though. They can leave a residue on your meat sometimes if they are old or just poor quality.

Freezing meat drys the meat out as it pushes the moisture out of the flesh. I have a buddy who hangs his meat in black/plastic garden netting in a shed. He lets his all his game (that isn't made into sausage or jerky) age like a butcher would for a while.

To ME everything tastes the same with BBQ sauce but I will admit his steaks (regardless of the species) are always more tender and moist than mine.

Just looked at that link you posted JLW but I live in southeast AZ And my brother has a hunt first of november. It's been getting down to low to mid 30s at night but it hasn't been steady. What do you guys think....just quarter him up if we kill and throw him in a cooler?

I kept a deer in the sticks for 5 days once.

The key is maintaning a steady cool temp.

Hang it in a tree at night so it chills good.

In the mornin wrap it in a sleeping bag

and put in shade for the day.

Repeat everyday you are out there and it will be fine.

• Like 1

I kept a deer in the sticks for 5 days once.

The key is maintaning a steady cool temp.

Hang it in a tree at night so it chills good.

In the mornin wrap it in a sleeping bag

and put in shade for the day.

Repeat everyday you are out there and it will be fine.

Thats a good idea, i think that would work really good for the opposite conditions as well...you could wrap it up in the sleeping bag at night to help it from freezing and then open it up in the day time. That might help it to keep more of a consistent temp.

• Like 1

Just looked at that link you posted JLW but I live in southeast AZ And my brother has a hunt first of november. It's been getting down to low to mid 30s at night but it hasn't been steady. What do you guys think....just quarter him up if we kill and throw him in a cooler?

follow 26.06 method and you'll be golden!

James