Sign in to follow this  
C.O.U.E.S.

24b opening day bucks....Julian's 1st tag,hunt,trophy

Glassed 3 bucks around 6:30am and watched them get spooked by some yotes over the mountain, to far to go after but to big to pass up.. Glassed till 10am and decided to go around the backside and come up and over to try and find them again...

High noon and we leave the truck and start climbing ..and climbing... we get to the top and cross 4 rocky peaks to get close to where these bucks were last seen, we rest and recoup to slip around the mountain to start the afternoon glassing session...

2:30 pm...We get set up and 5 min. into the glass I find a buck bedded 300yds. down in the canyon, Instantly I start to get Julian setup for a shot and wait for them to get up to feed. 45 to 1hour later it's a no go on getting him set, angle was to steep, to rocky, tree was in the way..etc

3:30...a little frustrated, we back out and drop down to a different knob and try to find Julian a solid rest...This being his 1st big game hunt I wanted to give him the best opportunity at a buck, so getting him comfortable and stable for this kind of shot was priority#1..

4:00..We find the perfect rock and Julian is set, 1 buck is up and feeding and the other 2 are bedded close by and not visible. I let him know that that there is a bigger buck down there and we can wait him out...I received an emphatic "No, I'll shoot this one"...ok kido, wait for him to turn broadside... he is 275yds away...put it on him and let the gun surprise you...just like we practiced...

4:05... Buck feeding turns broadside...BOOM...He's hit, his buck moves into some trees and out comes his 2 compadres...

4:06...Great shot Julian, You hit'm solid...I check out the 2 deer that came out and 1 was bigger and the other was smaller ...they are wondering what's going on and did not know where the shot came from...

4:06...No movement from the tree's...give me the gun Julian, I posted up on the rock that he shot off of and found my buck starting to trott off, 2 shots later we had a whitetail double on our hand's...high fives and hug's and we are both super pumped..

We climb back up to our 1st glassing spot to retrieve pack's and head down into the canyon, Julian heads into the tree's where we last seen his deer and find's his buck. I tell him to hang his hat on the tree above him and start zigzagging down hill..

5 minutes later... we find my buck in some tall grass, I mark it and we go back to Julian's buck to start the breakdown process...

I am sure I can type 2 more pages of this adventure but onto the piks...

Thank you Juan and Ruby M. for allowing me to sponsor Julian for this hunt. His motivation and great attitude made it a great experience.

Julian, Thank you for wanting to go hunting. You are on your way to much more outdoor success in the years to come, allowing me to be part of your first big game hunt and learning curve is my pleasure...your hunting buddy...max ... C.O.U.E.S.

special thank's to my buddy's Cody And Levi for coming out at midnight to help with the packout and pull my chevy out with your Ford, Cody...lol really fella's...you guy's saved me on this one and I owe you...big time..max

post-1414-0-75371100-1382842649_thumb.jpg

post-1414-0-15097200-1382842690_thumb.jpg

post-1414-0-03648300-1382842743_thumb.jpg

post-1414-0-19770300-1382842795_thumb.jpg

post-1414-0-21874300-1382842833_thumb.jpg

post-1414-0-50548700-1382842875_thumb.jpg

post-1414-0-09977800-1382842924_thumb.jpg

• Like 11

Nice set of bucks right there! Congrats to you and your son.

NICE!!! A super sweet double. Father and son! Just doesn't get any better than that. Great write up.

Congrats to you and Julian on a couple great trophies, nicely done.