Red Rabbit

2006 Kodiak Alaska Trip

Great story. Great pictures! Congrats on a great sounding trip and wonderful trophies.

Thanks for sharing them with us.

Great story and pics Doug. Glad your trip went well. You really get a feel for being at the mercy of the wilderness up there dont you? The weather is so unpredictable and the terrain is really tough to hike up through, thats what I appreciated about it on my trip. Glad you had a great time and shot some deer/ducks.......Allen..........

Guest Ernesto C

Doug, you the man!! Congratulations on a succesfull hunt and harvesting several trophies. What awesome pictures;thank you very much for sharing your adventure with us,God bless you my friend.

Ernesto C

Thats an awsome place, Great pictures doug. those are some nice sunrises but i dont think they stand up to an AZ sunrise or set. AZP&Y the puddle picture is also awsome. I wish i could visit that place one of these days.

CB1, Bob- Besides the slippers, maybe some fleece pants to wear on the boat, and some foam earplugs to muffle for any snorer and wave lap at night. A good liqueur or sipping whiskey for after dinner and bring some to share. I shot resting on the backpack and did not carry a bipod. Lighten the pack load!

I was just a jazzed about the Harlequin ducks as the blacktail. Tim of TR taxidermy in Flag were talking today about ideas on mounting the waterfowl as my creative juices were flowing. My last thoughts were of a duck taking off with one webbed foot still in a rippled bed of clear resin next to a shore of slate rocks with another standing Harlequin drake.

Allen- it was special country that begs for a return for another blacktail. My long time dream hunt has been for a Dall sheep, so guess the serious planning should begin.

RR

My last thoughts were of a duck taking off with one webbed foot still in a rippled bed of clear resin next to a shore of slate rocks with another standing Harlequin drake.

Sounds awesome. They are beautiful birds. Did you see any Old Squaw, (ducks)?

Wow, what a trip Doug! It sounds like the vacation of a lifetime. I think we all dream of a hunting trip like that some day. Great Photos too!! Them bucks are hogs!!

I didn't see Rica in any of the photos. Don't tell me you left her at home. :(

Deerslam- It was evidently too early for Old Squaw and Eiders.

Scott- Rica stayed with Grandma in Phoenix. We did not jump any Ptarmigan atop the hills. The grass was so high that she would have been unseen.

RR

good job doug! those blacktail are handsome deer! how was the performance of that unaccurate 300wsm? what about the bullets at 431?

Awesome story and pictures. I sure can't wait until I get a chance to make it up there. Someday....Congrats on the nice bucks.

Casey,

Here's a pic of the accubonds recovered from the two deer. The one on the right entered behind the ribs, traveled through the liver, lungs and heart, and ended under the hide in front of the offside shoulder. It weighed 152 grains. The other weighed 143 grains. As evidenced by the forward facing prtals, we suspect the bullet tumbled inside the deer and traveled backward. Maybe not a bullet failure in the sense that the animal died, but concerning in that two bullets travelled backwards.

KodiakAccubondstumbled.jpg

Here's a photo of a brownie that was on a point 340 yards below the kill spot, between us and the beach. We drug the deer sidehill to the next cut to get away from having to drag dinner directly underneath him. He got up and walked around the point a little during the drag, but did not make a move towards us.

BearbelowkillonUganikIsland.jpg

Doug~RR

no doubt about that... not the perfect mushroom you suspect to see from a Accubond. SOMEONE that i know turned me onto them saying they were gods gift to hunters and now there all i shoot!

ps, how was the internal damage and blood shot meat all that goos stuff? what did the wound channel look like?