Umpqua

2014: Unit 1 archery or Unit 3B early muzzleloader?

/>

I don't think you'll have a snowballs chance in Phoenix for 3b early muzzy putting in together. I'd go unit 1 archery, and the heck with Trphyhntr he had that 1 tag this year.

hey, you know Carl guided a dude on that early 3b muzzy hunt one year. got a fukkin toad brah.

Yeah I know Good ole Captain Carl!

• Like 1

I would put in for 10 early archery by myself and take my son along with me this year to hunt with me. Next year I would put my son in for unit 1 early archery and hunt with him. Make two great seasons out of it. You should both have the points it takes to get in those units with him having 11 pts. next year. What ever way you go I'm sure it will make for some great memories.

• Like 1

I would put in for 10 early archery by myself and take my son along with me this year to hunt with me. Next year I would put my son in for unit 1 early archery and hunt with him. Make two great seasons out of it. You should both have the points it takes to get in those units with him having 11 pts. next year. What ever way you go I'm sure it will make for some great memories.

Unit 1 is taking 13 points to draw for a non-resident right now. There is talk about some point creep too.

I am trying to decide mainly whether to go for Unit 1 with my son or hold out for Unit 9 (likely 5 years off) or an early rifle tag (likely 10 years off). I drew Unit 9 years ago, on a drought year. It was brutal, with only one bull in bow range.

For unit 1 archery, I had 11 points and had tag #15 but was actually the first alternate. 12 should be a lock for 2014 unless a bunch jump in.

I live in Lakeside and grew up here. IMO, if you are looking for a really high quality hunt, 3B is very iffy. I know of and have seen some great bulls taken in 3B, but the consistency just isn't there. Unit 1 is much bigger, has a much larger herd and has a lot more diversity in hunting opportunites. Given the choice, I'd take Unit 1 over 3B 100% of the time.

• Like 1

For unit 1 archery, I had 11 points and had tag #15 but was actually the first alternate. 12 should be a lock for 2014 unless a bunch jump in.

What year did you draw Wapitibob?

I live in Lakeside and grew up here. IMO, if you are looking for a really high quality hunt, 3B is very iffy. I know of and have seen some great bulls taken in 3B, but the consistency just isn't there. Unit 1 is much bigger, has a much larger herd and has a lot more diversity in hunting opportunites. Given the choice, I'd take Unit 1 over 3B 100% of the time.

im the opposite, id take 3b every year if i knew i could get it.

What year did you draw Wapitibob?

Early archery hunt, rut is on, the elk are not spokey, Bulls are stupid, Easy pickins, Just saying

Early archery hunt, rut is on, the elk are not spokey, Bulls are stupid, Easy pickins, Just saying

theres a lot of people from this years hunt that would say thats not always the case.

• Like 1

Okay….another question…how do you all feel about Unit 1 archery for next year (2014), or would a couple more years of recovery from the burn be better? I've often thought 3 years after a major burn is prime time.

In a month and a half it will be decision time. I've done a ton of research on a Wyoming unit and found one that both my son and I should both draw next year with max points and it should be an excellent hunt. Trying to decide on whether to go for the Unit 1 tag or the WY tag.

I just spent a month hunting either in 1 or 3b for elk during all phases of the rut and an additional seven days helping my wife chase deer in 1. I saw bulls in both units that would crush your expectations. If your experienced with the area I wouldn't hesitate to pick 3b, but if your not I would chose unit 1. You can literally find elk in every part of the unit in 1. I also saw a pack of nine wolves that had the elk on edge to say the least. You may be a bit optimistic on the draw cycle.