Sign in to follow this  
bonecollector777

My Brothers 160" Buck

That is just so cool - he probably thought his hunt was done, and then gets an opportunity like that. Huge congrats to your brother. That is a great looking buck.

Ok here is a little more of the story. About two weeks before the hunt I went and set some cameras up at some tanks out in an area where we saw deer last year but hadn't seen since. I checked about 15 watering spots and very few had deer tracks. After putting four cameras up, there was only one tank getting pictures. And it was getting A LOT of pictures of a lot of good bucks. There were probably 12-15 bucks coming in. From spikes to 160-170" bucks. When the moon was full they were only coming in at night but as the moon came up later they started showing up right at light. Opening morning we had pictures of them coming in right at daylight. We walked the area hoping to jump them up and get my brothers and dad a shot but it was so thick anything we jumped up was already gone. After walking most of the day and jumping what we thought was a deer we headed home. The next morning we decided to sit the tank and got in there really early but after 4 hours of sitting it was 9:00 AM and nothing had come in. We spent the rest of the day walking and found some tracks but these deer had some sort of special way of getting around because for the amount of bucks their tracks weren't matching up. Anyway, we took Sunday off for church and ran back out there in the afternoon to just check the camera and see if they came in that morning and just like I thought they showed up at 7:30! And stayed till 8:00. Nearly all the bucks were there that morning so we were disappointed we didn't get a chance. They seemed to be coming in only every 2-3 days for water so we figured Monday wasn't gonna be any good but we sat anyway because my brother could only hunt that morning and then had to head back to Vegas for work and couldn't come back. We had set up a blind Sunday night and got in there about 5:00 AM Monday morning. The wind was blowing about 50 MPH and it was freezing cold but we stuck it out till about 8:00 without any sign of a deer. Right when I was about to call it quits my brother spotted some movement off to the side of the blind. He whispered that there was a buck 10 yards from the blind but behind a big Cedar tree! The wind was blowing the blind around and the deer could see the movement so he was confused but couldn't figure out what it was. The deer needed to walk about 15 yards towards the tank and they would be broadside for a perfect shot but since they were concerned about the blind they walked straight about keeping the cedar tree right between us and them. I noticed a spot about 6 inches in diameter that I could see the bigger buck standing broadside about 50 yards away. I told my brother to lean over and shoot him through the hole but when he put his gun up he couldn't see the branch right in front of his barrel which would have definitely deflected the bullet. As he looked through the scope he couldn't see the branch and almost shot but after about 5 times of telling him he was going to blast the tree he understood and lifted his gun up over the branch. This took about a minute and by this time the buck was ready to take off. As he was turning to take off my brother shot and the buck took off without any sign of hitting him. We immediately went looking for blood where he was standing but there was no sign of anything. We started walking back and forth through the trees looking for blood but nothing. I decided to go back to the tank to start again and take it slower and when I got there I heard my brother yelling that he found him. He just happened to walk around the tree and the buck was laying there dead. We back tracked the buck and he didn't bleed one drop which is really weird because he took a .30-.30 straight through the should blade through both lungs and into the back side of the rib cage on the other side and it didn't even seem to phase him as he took off. Either way we got lucky and found him! It was my brothers biggest buck he has killed and even better that the area we were in has rarely produced bucks bigger than fork horns or small three points. He finally decided to get it mounted after I talked to him about and told him he wasn't gonna get one bigger than that in this area ever again and he better have something to remember it by. So there is the story! Took a little more than I thought but hope you enjoy it.

• Like 1