Sign in to follow this  
ready2hunt

Anyone else eating tag soup??

This year I went out and left no mile unwalked, no water source unchecked, no dark hillside unglassed and still got served humble pie by the crafty ghost. While I don't much care for tag soup and humble pie as dessert however I had a blast and am already looking forward to next year.

I will admit though....meat feeds me for a meal and memories feed me for a lifetime. I just wish those memories included a buck this year haha.

Anyone else get skunked this year on their deer hunt?

• Like 2

This year I went out and left no mile unwalked, no water source unchecked, no dark hillside unglassed and still got served humble pie by the crafty ghost. While I don't much care for tag soup and humble pie as dessert however I had a blast and am already looking forward to next year.

I will admit though....meat feeds me for a meal and memories feed me for a lifetime. I just wish those memories included a buck this year haha.

Anyone else get skunked this year on their deer hunt?

im going to 36a next week, never been there. just going and seeing new country is the funnest part for me.

Well my hunt isn't until December but my girl friends hunt starts on Friday and I've been helping a couple buddies and out of two tags with two friends this week we've only filled one. Got one of the guys a little fork horn for his first deer this week. But with the warm afternoons it has been a little difficult but fun non the least.

My cousin has been up in 24A from opening morning hunting solo. Ditched work Monday afternoon and headed up to help, but didn't see crap with the high winds. He has seen only does, Muley's and a couple spikes all week.

Yep...opening weekend saw lots of does and a spike in a new area to me. Just got home from helping my buddy pack out his first deer, so at least the group didn't get skunked. 1 out of 4 tags in our group this year. Not great.

Unfortunately I'm getting used to the taste of tag soup...I still don't like it but it's familiar.

• Like 1

I had a nice serving of tag soup. Although for not having been down to that area in 15 years when I was 13, I saw 31 deer in 4 1/2 days. 3 bucks opening morning didn't give me a shot, hunted with prokid and backwoods hunter Saturday and we got prokid a nice 3x3, Sunday I missed 3 shots on a forkie, Monday I only saw 4 does/fawns and came home. Sitting at home Tuesday, I told the wifey "let's go down there and who knows, might get lucky." Texted prokid and we headed down, saw 11 deer and a big ole bobcat, but still ended up with tag soup!

Ill be out in 36 a. As well been scouting since August my hunt can't come soon enough. If you see a white 2 door Tahoe out their stop by and introduce yourself..

i'll do that. so are you seeing some deer?

My dad and uncle have been out in 23 since thursday and have only seen two bucks and about twenty doe. I was with them till Monday and shot one of the bucks on Saturday however its not looking good for them with how hot it has been in the southern part of the unit. Since I left its been all pig and does.

I had a nice serving of tag soup. Although for not having been down to that area in 15 years when I was 13, I saw 31 deer in 4 1/2 days. 3 bucks opening morning didn't give me a shot, hunted with prokid and backwoods hunter Saturday and we got prokid a nice 3x3, Sunday I missed 3 shots on a forkie, Monday I only saw 4 does/fawns and came home. Sitting at home Tuesday, I told the wifey "let's go down there and who knows, might get lucky." Texted prokid and we headed down, saw 11 deer and a big ole bobcat, but still ended up with tag soup!

Sounds like you had fun. Not sure what's harder to take.....not seeing a buck or missing a shot at one. Glad you at least got into some antlers.