Sign in to follow this  
ajohunter

Desert Buck Down!

Had a great time on Sunday hunting with Perry Miller who is the son of a long time family friend. Perry has been hunting since he was knee high to an Arivaca grass hopper! Sunday morning Perry, his Dad Larry, Bob and I met up and headed out looking for some wiley desert mule deer. We split up to cover more ground and had a fairly uneventful morning of glassing squirrels rabbits and quail. We finally glassed up a Doe with twin fawns which were up feeding. Larry sent a text saying he heard a bird chirping and Perry spotted another squirrel. Bob and I decided to head to a new glassing point and within minutes he spots a herd of deer up feeding. We notice a 2x2 is with a group of 6 Does.

I sent the guys a text that we found a small buck if he wants it. Perry says he will take it since its his only day to hunt. We kept our eyes on the deer for the next 30 minutes until Perry and his Dad could get to our location. By the time they got to where we were at it was 0930. The buck had bedded just behing a small ridge out of our sight while the Doe he was following bedded on the top. The remaining Does fed in our direction and eventually bedded down 60 yard below us.

CCCD0826-E233-4695-B8F2-A76C9DC07AF7-105

EA7F2A35-178E-4AB3-8D55-0EE7CDC980D5-105

When they got to our position we made the plan to just sit and wait the buck out until he stood up again.

This seemed like a great plan until we realized we were sitting on top of the second hottest hill in the world!

The hottest one is in 36B by the way!

After about 4 hours in the direct sun with no shade Perry decided to just walk over there and shoot the deer where he lay!

Perry circled around the small ridge the Doe was bedded on and made his way to where we thought the buck would be.

Once he was over there we could see him pointing in that direction and he finally lifted his rifle and fired a shot. We looked all over for the deer in case it took off running but then 2 more shots rang out and Perry started running toward a dust cloud rising from behind the ridge. Finally a 4th shot rang out and he called us on the radio to bring the truck! The Beast is Dead!

D02E9508-2C34-442A-9FAD-A2FF2257B43D-105

Perry hit the deer with his first shot while it was bedded from 50 yards. The buck kept trying to get up but couldn't so he fired 2 more which missed since the deer was flopping around so much and the 4th shot put it down for good from about 3 yards.

After this Perry finally earned a name for his 270! We call it Cuatro, since he cant seem to fire less than 4 shots every time he kills an animal with it.

It was a great day hunting with great friends and the buck was the icing on the cake!

• Like 1

Great story & pics! Congrats to Perry and Happy Birthday to you Ajohunter!

Thanks for the story and great pics. Nice set-up for that trophy shot looking up at Perry. What camera are you using?

iPhone 5 camera. They were laughing at me calling me the professional photographer when I was kneeling down in the wash getting different angles. Lol