Viper

My second great buck.....same spot as last one!

Two years ago, I was blessed with my first 113" buck (SCI). Last year, we could not hunt our usual area due to fire closure. Hunter pressure was very high and I did not tag a buck. This year we were back in our favorite area, where I took the big buck 2 years prior.

Opening morning my buddy Paul and I climbed the steep, high ridge to still-hunt along the top. Bill and his son-n-law Brian stayed low to glass the sunny, east slope. That morning we bumped/spotted a few bucks and does, but no shots fired. We stirred things up quite a bit, so we decided to let it rest the 2nd day (Saturday). Sunday morning we tried our opening day strategy again. Paul and I climbed to the top of the ridge, while Bill and Brian stayed low. Paul and I slowly hunted along the ridge top, glassing down both sides. We got a ways down the ridge when Paul said it was time for his "mornin' constitutional". I said "go ahead, I'll walk over here and check out my "sniper spot". This is the same cliff I shot my big buck from 2 years ago. I quietly walked down to the cliff edge, rested my binos on my shooting sticks and started scanning down the finger ridges below. Within a minute a nice bedded buck filled the view. "Holy sh!!...big buck"! Great mass! wide! and looong eye guards! I looked up the hill toward Paul...still taking care of business. I couldn't wait and risk losing this great buck. I pulled my .270 from the pack scabbard, removed the scope coat, snapped on my new Stoney Point flexible bipod and set up prone on the rock cliff edge. I ranged him at 230 yards (angle compensated). I got the buck in the scope at 14x....solid rest. I thought about taking the shot, but thought it best to have Paul spotting for me. I look up at Paul....he is done with the business. He realizes I am on a buck. I put my ssshhh finger to my lips and motioned for him to sneak down the hill behind me. This gave me time to get over the buck fever and settle my nerves. I described where the buck was and Paul got him in his glasses. "Keep an eye on him...I'm gonna shoot". The buck was laying, quartering to me. I had to wait for him to move his head uphill a bit so I would not hit him in the face. When he did, I squeezed off the shot...BOOM! With the recoil, I lost him in the scope. Paul says "he's up, rack another round"...."he's down, get on him". When I got back on him, he was laying in his bed, belly up. One front leg was still moving. "I'm staying on him for a few minutes....stay on him". Soon we determined "he's done". We high-fived and giggled like cheerleaders. I couldn't believe it. I shot from 40 feet away from where I shot 2 years ago. Two nice bucks from the same spot. Now we had to figure out how to get to him, and how to get him out. Paul stayed up top to guide me in to the buck, while I worked my way down below the cliffs and down the steep ridge. It took a while, but finally found him. Then I attempted to guide Paul down an “easier” way. That didn’t work out so well. With some rock sliding and bushwhacking he made it down OK. We admired the buck, took pictures, a few more high-fives, then got to work. Before long, Bill and Brian showed up at the top of the ridge with two more pack frames. I didn’t expect them to come down to help, but they did. I caped the buck, quartered him up and we loaded the three pack frames. We picked our way, slow and easy, up the ridge and through a slot in the cliffs to the top. It was a tough haul, but well worth it. I thanked God for a great buck and nobody got hurt. Also, I thank my great, long time friends for their help. He taped out at 110 6/8 "camp score".

The shot from the cliff. 230 yards

post-2983-0-79638400-1383885454_thumb.jpg

Deer is tiny white spot, belly up

post-2983-0-60421600-1383885761_thumb.jpg

Big buck down

post-2983-0-74467100-1383885951_thumb.jpg

This is about where he was laying

post-2983-0-30994900-1383886064_thumb.jpg

post-2983-0-70600400-1383886134_thumb.jpg

Paul is happy to be a part of it...thanks buddy

post-2983-0-85069700-1383886276_thumb.jpg

Another view

post-2983-0-87476500-1383886381_thumb.jpg

Shot was from up there

post-2983-0-59783800-1383886488_thumb.jpg

The pack out back up the ridge

post-2983-0-68646100-1383886583_thumb.jpg

Cape, antlers and meat....doesn't get much better

post-2983-0-34444200-1383886725_thumb.jpg

Fall colors

post-2983-0-66632300-1383886854_thumb.jpg

....and beautiful sunsets

post-2983-0-00525100-1383886934_thumb.jpg

• Like 4

Holy cow! That deer is a beast. Good work man. And I for one was kind of happy to hear about a deer that was killed at less than 500 yds. Congratulations on 2 deer of a lifetime!

Holy cow! That deer is a beast. Good work man. And I for one was kind of happy to hear about a deer that was killed at less than 500 yds. Congratulations on 2 deer of a lifetime!

I guided two of my buddies in on their bucks one at 115 yards and the other at 305. The first with a 270 at 06:55 and the other with a 25-06 at 07:28.

• Like 1

Huge congrats! Crazy big eye guard! You have a true honey hole! If I were you I know where I would be opening morning next year!

Good job, that's some steep country. I like those little rubber cups on the top of your packs.

Those are chair leg rubbers....they work well for capping off the open tube and protect your rifle/sling when you sling your rifle over the post.