WHALE

Emmy's Left Over Tag Buck

My daughter was able to harvest her first buck yesterday. She had applied for youth tags and was not drawn so we picked her up a left over down south. We packed Thursday and hit the road at 2:30 opening morning. We arrived right about first light and started hiking. We glassed all day Friday and turned up 28 doe and not one buck.

We kept at it Saturday and glassed 5 more doe before locating a 3x3, forker and a spike. We went after them but after getting to within 160 yrds of them the shot never came (locating deer in the rifle scope can be a little challenging at 10 years old). We hiked and glassed some more turning up another 10 doe on Saturday. With sore feet, cuts and bruises my daughters were not sure hiking was going to be an option for Sunday. I told them if Sunday we could get up to this rock out cropping we could glass 360 degrees and have a decent chance of picking up a buck.

Sunday they woke up at 5:30 and said "dad lets go hiking". We reached the rock and within the first hour only had a doe. Then I glassed up Emmy's buck. I told Emmy there's a buck in range get your gun. She settled in on top of a little boulder and harvested her first buck at 200 yrds. What a great weekend with two of my daughters. They worked hard and I couldn't be more proud of them.

Alex on top of the rock out cropping

post-3109-0-60788900-1384223033_thumb.jpg

Emmy had to call mom and tell her she got her buck

post-3109-0-67997800-1384223128_thumb.jpg

Dad and Emmy with her first buckpost-3109-0-17444000-1384223220_thumb.jpg

• Like 11

nice hunting congrats on your daughters buck. Keep up the good work.

These family stories never get old. Great job!!

Great story, great pictures. Congratulations Emmy!

:)