I went out looking for deer today, it is a tradition I started a long time ago that I go out the day after Thanksgiving aka black Friday. I would rather be outdoors than fighting in walmart lol. I glassed up a deer from a long ways away and thought it was a buck so I hiked over to it to find out it was the group with the Hybrid in it. I enjoy seeing and taking pics of them and feel fortunate to do so. If you don't think it is a Hybrid look at the size of this doe, she is as big as the muleys if not bigger and she never flagged like a wt would. Enjoy and hope everyone had a great Thanksgiving!

post-4217-0-42657300-1385763612_thumb.jpg

post-4217-0-82096600-1385763630_thumb.jpg

post-4217-0-38674200-1385763648_thumb.jpg

post-4217-0-66109700-1385763660_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

That is pretty cool!

Nice pics.... Would be cool if it had a rack on it... Hmmmmmm......😊

I will agree that is an awful big whitetail, however I really think you need to change your thought that a whitetail will usually flag when running away. I have seen on a couple different posts where you have made this statement and suggest that this is a hybrid trait. I humbly disagree with you on this. In fact, most of the bigger bucks I see will not flag very often at all when spooked. I believe that as they mature a lot of them seem to quit flagging for some reason. Not meaning at all to start a fuss here, just passing on what I have witnessed over the years...

I will agree that is an awful big whitetail, however I really think you need to change your thought that a whitetail will usually flag when running away. I have seen on a couple different posts where you have made this statement and suggest that this is a hybrid trait. I humbly disagree with you on this. In fact, most of the bigger bucks I see will not flag very often at all when spooked. I believe that as they mature a lot of them seem to quit flagging for some reason. Not meaning at all to start a fuss here, just passing on what I have witnessed over the years...

There is nothing wrong with speaking your mind/opinion and I enjoy hearing what others have to say. But I have to ask questions back. Have you seen doe's that don't flag or just mature bucks? Because this is a doe not a mature buck and it is with other muley doe's. Do you think it is a wt hanging out with muleys or do you think it is a Hybrid? I learn something everyday and see new things all the time that surprise me or I have never seen before. My opinion is there are a few Hybrids out there and that I have taken pics of them and that is my opinion but when I see them out in the field it is prob. a little different then seeing a couple of pics on your computer. Pixman

I appreciate that you didn't take offense and I am certainly not an expert on the subject of hybrids. To answer your question though, I have indeed seen many does that wouldn't flag. In fact, when they are running in groups, some may flag while others do not. I have no idea other than my own belief that some of these deer have evolved if you will, to understanding that sometimes the flag actually draws unwanted attention. In your picture on this post the doe does appear quite large, and who knows maybe she is crossed. It is definitely my strong belief though that this does not occur very often in the wild. In my hunting career, the majority of the country I hunt, both species can be found. I have very very rarely seen many of them that I felt were a cross. I'm not saying it doesn't happen, just think its quite rare. Seen many whitetail standing side by side that had varying shades of coats and even different colors on the back of their tails( usually darker almost black looking). Also seen some mulies that looked kinda odd but did not suspect hybrid traits. I just think that sometimes an animal comes out a little "special". Heck every species has big old freaks, take Shaw for instance....by the way I do like your pictures and I hope you keep posting them!

Can't say that I have ever seen a hybrid but a few years back I did see a young wt buck pushing some muley does around. Never saw him succeed but he sure was trying.

I appreciate that you didn't take offense and I am certainly not an expert on the subject of hybrids. To answer your question though, I have indeed seen many does that wouldn't flag. In fact, when they are running in groups, some may flag while others do not. I have no idea other than my own belief that some of these deer have evolved if you will, to understanding that sometimes the flag actually draws unwanted attention. In your picture on this post the doe does appear quite large, and who knows maybe she is crossed. It is definitely my strong belief though that this does not occur very often in the wild. In my hunting career, the majority of the country I hunt, both species can be found. I have very very rarely seen many of them that I felt were a cross. I'm not saying it doesn't happen, just think its quite rare. Seen many whitetail standing side by side that had varying shades of coats and even different colors on the back of their tails( usually darker almost black looking). Also seen some mulies that looked kinda odd but did not suspect hybrid traits. I just think that sometimes an animal comes out a little "special". Heck every species has big old freaks, take Shaw for instance....by the way I do like your pictures and I hope you keep posting them!

No problem, I try to not take offense to things life is too short. I agree there are freaks and different looking coues and muleys but I also believe there are Hybrids. Again this is my opinion and some will agree and some will disagree. I think what I am seeing are Hybrids and it is a rare thing to see so I want to share the pics on here with this great website. I took a beating for asking for pics of a tail from a big buck that was shot, it looked like a Hybrid to me so I was curious and was wanting to see how the tail looked. If that doe was by herself I don't think I would think much other than there is a big coues with nothing to really compare size wise but when I see it in the middle of a group of muleys everytime I really can't think anything other than Hybrid. I will continue to post pics when I am able to find them. Take care, Pixman

Unrelated but I hunt a transition zone where there are muleys and whitetail. On two separate years I have seen a mature whitetail running 5 to 6 mule deer does during the rut with smaller muley (2x2) bucks in the fringes of the herd. The first time I saw this, he was lip curling and grunting....really cool actually! In both cases that whitey ran those does for at least two weeks. The last time I saw this, a huge bodied 3x3 muley displaced the whitetail buck The Whitetail stayed on the fringes of the herd trying to cut a doe while the muley was chasing. Side note, the muley did a matrix move around my arrow and I still don't know how he spun and move out of the way! Anyway, I have not seen a hybrid yet but they are out there so keep the pics coming!