Sign in to follow this  
m77

Drone Use

Months ago I added a ficticous post about a hunter using a drone to locate game. With all the talk of drones in the news being used for various things, how long do you think it will be before a hunter or a guide service starts using drones for locating game? Does the Game & Fish law R12-4-319 referencing the use of aircraft cover drones as well? MAYBE WE NEED ANOTHER LAW!!!! (I know some of you will enjoy that last statement).

I'm sure it is a tactic that will be employed by people who hunt for money. Right or wrong there is a pressure to find big animals and people will do what they can to achieve that.

I have no issue with drones equipped with optical cameras scouting for game during daylight... But when they start using FLIR cams at night I have serious objections. I agree with 4Falls, game cameras are sort of a drone. Animals will figure it out- buzzing sounds loitering overhead mean trouble, just like flashing tree trunks at night. If they can't figure it out they get dead.

Technology has by far exceeded fair chase. I thing I will create a drone capable of firing a big game round.

Anything man made that flies is an aircraft.

So an arrow is an aircraft? And a bullet is an aircraft?

If fair chase is defined clearly- yes... But fair chase means many different things to many different people. The drone would theoretically only be able to see the animal... Still a challenge exists to get a human hunter within range.

Anything man made that flies is an aircraft.

So an arrow is an aircraft? And a bullet is an aircraft?

Uh....no.....those are projectiles, powered/unpowered utilizing an airfoil, fixed wing or rotary. ;) Bottom line...drones would not be legal.

• Like 1

you can fly all you want for scouting purposes. why not be able to use those mini helos with cams attached? providing the technology was there to provide for long enough run and range time?

My new Christmas gift.....a Phantom 2 quadcopter that can carry my gopro for aerial filming....I don't think it will be all that useful as a scouting tool but it sure is fun to fly! I think it's way too loud to film a coues buck up close. But I can make some spectacular aerial videos and can use it for some of my wildlife surveys where the owls are nesting up in cliffs that are unsafe to climb. Can't wait to get good enough flying it to do some interesting things with it!

post-1-0-92963500-1388245412_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Amanda how long is it able to stay in the air.just wondering

Amanda how long is it able to stay in the air.just wondering

Depends on the model you get....I got the latest version which has a 20-25 min flight time. The older models are about 6-8 mins.