CouesPursuit

Advice Please!

Got the stolen item back, but without any prosecution. Respectfully, the holidays don't seem to be a good time to get help from the local PD on a case like this. After 72 hours of not getting any physical assistance, I had to buy it back myself as it was being sold for 20% of its value by the thief himself. The item wasn't going to be available much longer and it was an item I would have had to replace in order to hunt coues.

We did however make sure the meeting was in front of a public camera and his description was immediately reported to dispatch for an attempt to locate, etc. Did the best I could, legally.. and without help.. I'm working with a new officer now with the description to follow up.

Thanks for those who shared comments, it sucks to be stolen from and its embarrassing to post this ad but was hoping some discussion could help others down the road deal with similar situations.. be persistent was the best advice, even though I had to do it myself.

• Like 1

Did you get his license plate, and his full name by chance? A bill of sale with name and autograph would be rather incriminating evidence.

Sounds like you did what you could and hopefully buying it from him in a public place will pay off in the end. I am glad you got your item back, even though you had to buy it back.....

He was on foot but we made sure he is on multiple cameras.

I'm still going to work this guy for my other item and he was way too sketchy to sign a bill of sale IMO. Officers dispatched to confirm ny item last night said a lineup and camera pull with our description is enough.. hopefully tomorrow fresh staff can take more action.

I'll share more on the whole experience after I follow up a couple more times. Thanks.

I'm really happy for you... but at the same time.... very sad that the ones that suppose to server and protect... were no help

Ernesto C

My partner and I had a similar situation last year BUT.... we caught her in the act. During my attempt to detain her she tried make a move and I had to face plant her. She was convicted earlier this month for three felonies, Burglary, theft over $2000 and possession of drug paraphernalia. She gets sentenced next month.

Hope your ending mirrors mine. Way to take action!

Thanks -

If it wasn't for my fiancé being home alone from time to time while I'm away on weekends, I wouldn't have been able to keep the same cool. If trouble arises, this scumbag knows where I live, and I can't say the same.. Therefore, I have to pick what is worth more - items/revenge or the safety of my #1. Easy decision at that point.

• Like 1

Hope they caught the guy and you get the rest of your stuff back. You did what you had to do and that's a good thing.

• Like 1

I don't want to talk bad about anybody but the help I needed was not there when I needed it and the beat goes on.

It's behind me now as far as I'm concerned, I appreciate those who took the time to post positive comments.

• Like 1

Final Update:

The thief has been arrested and is undergoing prosecution. He will serve 1.5-3 years in prison for the "burglary" and based on the video footage/set-up when we bought the stolen item back, he will also be charged with "trafficking in stolen property." Both prosecutions are felonies.

I am filing for restitution and although I will not get my other stolen items back, legal justice will be served.

• Like 4

During my attempt to detain her she tried make a move and I had to face plant her.

AWESOME!