Sign in to follow this  
Scooter

.270 WSM questions

Every now and then there exists a gun I've been passing over at the gun store for months, and all of a sudden it starts to appeal to me. It's like I feel some sympathy that it's been all alone collecting dust on the rotating display for awhile. So is the case with a certain brand new Savage model 16 in .270WSM stainless with all of the Accu-goodies and a Nikon Prostaff 3x9 BDC on top. I'm not gonna quote the exact price, but let's just say it's mid $500's out the door. This seems like a good deal to me- but the reason I didn't just drop the Santa money on it today is because I know next to nothing about the .270WSM other than the muzzle velocity and that it's a short-fat version of the .270 so here are my questions for the gun guru's out there:

Is it a viable cartridge for elk?

How does it perform long range (beyond 400yds) and are there good bullets available in .277?

What are the best factory loads off the shelf?

What kind of barrel life can I expect?

How accurate are the Savage 16 series rifles?

The .270 WSM in general is an awesome cartridge. I bought mine for longer range elk. I've shot elk at 475, 410, and 420 yards and my girl shot hers last year at 350 yds. 140 gr. Accubonds work well for me. Federal Premium is good stuff. I don't know about the Savage but I'm sure someone will chime in.

I thought I'd see more info... Yikes! Thanks DUG. I will have to keep plugging away on the Internet reviews...

I gotta have a few more experiences than what has already been said... Please? I really am serious about dropping money on it and don't want to get a caliber that will be lacking in the long range department

It has the same ballistics as the 7mm mag. but less recoil, from what I've read. I was looking into getting one about 4 years ago. I found a great deal on a .270 Rem 700 and bought that. A couple folks I talked to had concerns about ammo availability for the WSM....LOL...seems hard to find .270 on the shelf, but I always see .270 WSM.

I don't think you can go wrong with a newer model Savage.

WSM cartridges perform close to their big brother cartridges out to about 400 yds, then they taper off in velocity which in turn impacts energy, usually very accurate and less recoil than big brother, ammo not always available in Mom & Pop stores should you forget to pack yours

I don't think you will be disappointed with the purchase. Sounds like a great deal on the rifle and it is a great cartridge that is more than capable for elk.

thanks guys. I will update if I decide to buy it this week. I don't like the 3-9x40 BDC and want them to put a different scope on it with some more magnification...

I studied ballistics charts, then chose the .270 WSM. It has better ballistics then a Weatherby magnum. I first bought a Tika in stainless and grey laminated stock, called a whitetail hunter I believe, then sold it and got a Winchester Coyote Outback. I like both guns, but I bought them for deer and antelope because of their long range. I wouldn't hesitate to hunt elk with it, but I have a .325 WSM or a .338 Win mag I use for elk (when I get a tag). Hope this helps.....

270 wsm was and still is used heavily for 800 and 1000 yard target, like said before the balistics hold up to the 7mm mag. i dont care for bullet selection reloading but factory rnds are good. i load 130 grn gmx for my dads 270 and nothing else. i would love to have one but i would buy the 7mm wsm if i was spending.

The 130 berger classic hunter with a b.c. of .497 and launched upwards of 3150+ is very hard to beat. The advantage of this purchase is that it is a savage. If you end up not liking the caliber its very easy to change it to something you prefer.

I just bought this rifle 3 months ago for my dec hunt and shoots awesome for out of the box, I got a remington 700 in 270 wsm topped with vortex long range scope, 6.5 inch group at 500 yards. I shot my coues buck at 158 yards and saw him drop before the recoil, it shattered both shoulder blades and left heck of a blood trail down the mtn, no doubt it's an elk rifle, a 130 grn Hornady sst at 61.5 grn 4350 flies right at 3200 Fps, that's pretty deadly compared to 300 win mag 180 grn flying at 2800 Fps! When I draw an elk tag I am using my 270 wsm no doubt. Probably with a copper bullet or full jacket though

I have a savage in 270 wsm and love it! I load 130 accubonds going 3350 at the muzzle. 3/4 moa all day long. In the past two years this load and rifle has taken three wt three mule deer and a cow elk The deer were all shot at 300-587 yards the 270wsm worked perfectly on all animals. The cow elk was shot at 166 and melted in her tracks... I think you know the answers to all your question.... It is similar to a 7rm ballistically great all around Az rifle for sure.. Mine has taken everthing from coyotes to bears to elk! But trust be told it is not the best "long range elk" choice.. Good luck and let us know how it works out!

Whitey