Sign in to follow this  
elkhunter

2014 pig for the pops

Dad has the archery tag again and going for his 11th pig in 11 year with only stick and string, according to statistics and probability starting in 2004 when he bought his bow, he had a .00058% chance of going 11 years straight with success, well he beat it today! (Sorry cmc! Smaller than 1%!)

Yesterday he went out with mom and surprisingly saw a hunter in a canyon we have never seen anyone else in! Pops saw 1 juvenile running and that was it, most likely this hunter spooked the herd. Today we went out in the same spot knowing they would move back to home area after 24 hours like they always do. Again found hunters, the same one as yesterday and both were sitting in the middle of the home feedin spot (300 yds by 800 yds) our best bet is that thy saw the herd yesterday and today they decided to sit down and wait in the spot they spooked them from yesterday. We did however find half the herd but they were highly skittish and we let em go, let em find the rest of their family. The hunters sitting in the feeding area never saw those pigs, hopefully it's not a member on this site!

We opted to go find the large herd that's a few canyons over, since there were a fair deal of hunters and road traffic I brought up to my pops that the pigs will be on a certain hill for sure. As we climbed the ridge I looked at the hill I called out earlier and boom there they are! The wind was blowing good, 15-20 mph, we circled around and worked our way downward to the herd. A unsuspected pig above us to our right about 40 yards caught our movemen and busted down the hill takin everyone with him, well almost everyone! As we watched the herd slowly walk up the opposite ridge I noticed a pig at the bottom of the canyon walking away from the herd to a saddle on our left, maybe 200 yard hike and he could intercept the pig crossing over, Pops made a quiet beeline to the saddle and I witnessed a miracle, this pig was 100 yards away and walked away from the saddle and right to my pops, he went behind a mesquite at 35 yds, pops went into full draw, pig is at 32 yards, 25 yard pin at the top of spine and 35 yard pin above the sternum and let er release. I never saw the arrow, neither did pops, the pig however jumped at the shot and slowly ran away, that was my first sign of a hit, we marked the spots and looked for the arrow, when I found it it was covered in dry blood, pops said that's the arrow he shot his pig with last year and that my mom no longer lets him wash bloody arrows in the dishwasher. We looks at the arrow and there was no wet blood, it did not smell and the broadhead had dust on it but nothing wet, all signs of clean miss right? Well about 15 yards away I find a microscopic spot of blood, so small I saw it an lost it. Moving farther away the blood trail became serious and blood coming ou solid both sides of the trail, another 40 yds with my pops to my right quietly looking around, I see an object inside a thick overgrown mesquite 8 ft away I use my binos to confirm it's the pig, looked at my dad and screamed 'dead pig!' I swear he was spooked and started to draw his bow haha, the pig was hit high under spine, that explains the lack of blood the first few yards, once his belly filled up with blood the heavy trail began, thanks to slick tricks!

3C579313-8E46-45EF-906D-765048EDC8E6_zps

86A87AF7-B575-48CD-BBF7-E7ACFF8F91BB_zps

E4C43038-B98D-4C30-A18E-3960607D963F_zps

891B650E-16D2-445A-9967-D8A80D8B54CC_zps

No self timer

2CC75A95-7E31-4401-9D70-49A75A16B557_zps

F62898EC-A782-4E60-BF9D-C8B74FA944F4_zps

• Like 1

/>Nice sized pig. Everyone knows old man aroma attracts pigs :)
^ that is funny!

Thats a great streak of pig killing. Sounds like you guys have your herds figured out, thats more than half the battle. Congrats to your dad and thanks for sharing.

Great streak and way to change plans when needed. to bad your area is getting so much traffic but sounds like they will just keep pushing them around and not shooting them anyway.

Nice stinker Congrats to your pops.