Sign in to follow this  
Umpqua

Did Unit 1 get shot out in 2013?

I got a report from a friend who actively researches hunting in Arizona. His report to me was that the elk in Unit 1 had two years of age class shot out during the 2013 season. I think the report came from a biologist or a warden. I know some great bulls hit the dirt, even in the late rifle hunt. Does that fit what you guys are hearing or seeing? Should 2014 archery still be a quality hunt? I was seriously considering burning my points there this year.

I personally feel you would be better in 27, but it depends on what size Bull your looking for. The G&F has added too many tags in both units!!!!!!

I got a report from a friend who actively researches hunting in Arizona. His report to me was that the elk in Unit 1 had two years of age class shot out during the 2013 season. I think the report came from a biologist or a warden. I know some great bulls hit the dirt, even in the late rifle hunt. Does that fit what you guys are hearing or seeing? Should 2014 archery still be a quality hunt? I was seriously considering burning my points there this year.

how would they know that?

• Like 2

Go check it out. Picking up sheds should be a good indicator of what's still roaming the hills.

• Like 1

Yeah, Oregon. Might have to make the drive. It's a long ways, get some sunflower seeds.

• Like 1

I don't see how that can be scientific at all or even observable.... let alone from one biologist or game warden. Unit one is huge and a lot of things have changed since the wallow fire. Patterns have changed and animals are in different places than used to be.

The unit always has had big bulls and always will have big bulls. However, with G and F increasing tags the way that they do, the number of big bulls will be decreasing. Rather than manage for quality animals, these two units up here will be managed for quantity. Too bad IMO.

At this point I would be more concerned with moisture getting to this area. Its not looking good so far up here. Without that, those big bulls you're after won't reach their potential.

• Like 3

yes its all shot out, no since in putting in there. quality aint worth a darn and neither are numbers. stick with 27 and 3a/3c. i sure as heck aint wasting my time with that unit ever again.

• Like 2

I personally feel you would be better in 27, but it depends on what size Bull your looking for. The G&F has added too many tags in both units!!!!!!

No, no....27 sucks. Stay away. I just put in as a meat hunt there! No bulls.

• Like 2

No, no....27 sucks. Stay away. I just put in as a meat hunt there! No bulls.

this. youd have to be a glutton for punishment if you put in for 27.

Yes most people up here new about this bull,my buddies dad missed him 2 years ago at 35 yards,I can tell you the 2 brothers from the Verde Valley that guided this

hunter are the real deal, they kill big everything doesn't matter what specices they hunt they kill big, I saw on Lances website the pics but these brothers are the real deal.didn't know they hired out to him but they are good.

And if you guys think unit one is tapped out for big bulls you might want to stop smoking whatever your on

Seldom Drawn

• Like 1

Yeah, Oregon. Might have to make the drive. It's a long ways, get some sunflower seeds.

Flatlander, forget the sunflower seeds come up for fall Chinook salmon fishing. I'll take you out for some hard fighting, super eating fish. Last fall (July-August) we put two 30+ pound fish in the boat, lost a 40+ at the boat and landed numerous 15 to 25 pound fish.

I've given 27 some serious thought, but my wife wants to join me and experience the elk rut. I need to find moderate terrain for it to be fun for her. She got into hunting 3 years ago and is a tag drawing machine. She already has three antelope, two mule deer (one with a muzzleloader), a very nice blacktail, a California bighorn from our home state (165 B&C) and a cow elk. I'm still trying to get a quality bull elk tag for her. She's an amazing shot with a rifle, and she's taking up archery.