Sign in to follow this  
bojangles

buyin' a bonus point this year

i've been focusing on hunting an area of about 20 acres these last few years. There's been some heart breaks, and some minor successes as well. I didn't get a chance to hunt much during august, but i sat my stand a few times. Well, i finally found what i believe to be the "perfect" tree for hunting this area. It's in a bedding area, 500 yards from water, and is adjacent to some good grazing.

so this january has found me with an unfilled 2013 tag in my pocket, and my schedule pretty filled. I didn't know if i'd make it out or not. I'd been shooting my bow just in case things fell into place. Last night i got things ready to go. Truck loaded, backpack filled, bow on the money, clothes washed. Ready. Now it was up to me. I'd been sick for a week. But i decided i'd have to try. I didn't get up early at all. Just wasn't feeling up to it. But most of the deer i'd seen up there move around 9 oclock. So i thought if i could get in the stand before that, i'd be ok.

I'd seen a true Booner mule deer, a rarity in this unit, but this morning i wanted to set my sites on a whitetail. Wasn't sure i was physically up for a spot and stalk in the desert. Plus i knew getting this big boy on the ground is a long shot. So i headed for my go-to whitetail spot.

No sooner was i in the stand when i saw a doe 97 yards away. She didn't seem too alarmed at my presence. Not sure if she saw me. But my bow was still on the ground. So i immediately pulled my gear up the rope. I nocked one, and looked closely. Now it was 2 deer. Apparantly a buck as well, because they were going at it. But it could't make out his headgear. Well, when they were through, she walked dead away and he took a hard right. Wasn't sure they would head my way or not, but it wasn't looking hopeful. I bowed my head and prayed to God that he would turn that buck around. Well, God had grace because a few minutes later here they came. The doe winded me at 23 yards with the buck right behind her. She couldn't find me, but he was going to use this opportunity to climb aboard. Well, she was as nervous as a chicken in a fox farm and trotted right under my stand, leaving her long lost lover bewildered with rejection. Obviously discouraged, he quartered away and began to walk. I bleated with my mouth, and he stopped. I held for 25 and let her fly. I love the sound of a broadhead in the vitals. It sounds like "schwick" and that's exactly what i heard. He stood there for a second, his broken heart now of no importance compared to his punctured lung, which was hanging out the exit hole. The Ulmer edge had done its damage. He was pushing daisies in a mere 15 feet.

Looks like i'll be adding a bonus point to my strip tag endeavors this year.

post-4066-0-25386000-1389050154_thumb.jpg

Congrats! Loved the write up. Looks like these Ulmer edge broadheads are the way to go. Been hearing more and more about them lately. Might have to make the switch.

• Like 1

great story and it looks like a cool spot!!!

• Like 1

Fantastic story!! Great buck!

• Like 1

Awesome story, and awesome buck. We're you using the Ulmer Edge, as mentioned in the comments?

• Like 1