Sign in to follow this  
Xnt

When does the rut end?

It was pretty good the last few days of December until about the 14th of January from what I saw. My hunting partner, who is still there, says the mule deer rut is now done.....there are still a few Coues bucks chasing a few of the non-bred does, but even they are reportedly slowing down.

Depends on the group of does. Friends and I are still seeing lone bucks cruising for does. There is a secondary rut. The does that didn't get covered will be a hot commodity in many areas over the next couple weeks. This time of year, one day the rut looks totally over then the very next day it looks hot again. Nows the time to be looking for lone bucks with their noses on the ground.

It ends when it ends... I would wager in most places that the season closing on the 31st will cut people's chances off before the end of the 2nd rut does.

• Like 1

The rut this year seemed pretty early from what I've seen. Last Friday we glassed up 2 coues bucks pushing a doe around and there were groups of does on the same hill that the bucks didn't care about. That makes me think all those other does where breed already and the one doe they were chasing was in her second cycle, like it didn't take the first time. As long as there is one doe in heat there will be bucks after her. That's just what I think from what I have seen, correct me if I'm wrong.

This past monday we seen a little of everything, does all alone, bucks all alone and the last buck we seen was sniffing the tail and wouldn't leave her alone.

Still rutting where I live. The last two days has been the best that I have seen so far this year. It's been all small bucks until yesterday. Finally found a couple big boys chasing tail. Just couldn't make it happen.

• Like 2

Still rutting where I live. The last two days has been the best that I have seen so far this year. It's been all small bucks until yesterday. Finally found a couple big boys chasing tail. Just couldn't make it happen.
That's what I like to hear! They will chase for a bit longer, I think the weather has made it seem mild but the does are in heat! Good luck on closing the deal!

I was out last week and saw a group of 20 does, 3 does, and 3 does. No bucks. Maybe I was just in the wrong spots at the wrong times, but I didn't see nearly the number of decent sized bucks running around this entire month compared to years past.

To me it seems to be just about over unless you find that ONE doe that is still in heat. Seen lots of does by themselves and a few bucks by themselves. just gotta be at the right spot at the right time now.

You guys seeing action this week, you ARE talking about muleys right?

I've seen lots of whitetail action in the last two weeks but I haven't seen a single mule deer buck chasing. To be fair I haven't seen that many muley bucks this year.

Last Saturday we had whitetail bucks chasing does all over the mountain side. It was hard to figure out how many bucks we actually saw because they were all running in circles all around us!

I saw 7 herds of doe this weekend, not one buck with them. Back to work now, broke my streak of killing in January....at 2 years in a row. :P