Sign in to follow this  
sherman

what do you do with your kill

So I got my first javelina tag this year and with work if I am lucky to get one I w7ll not have the time to cook it right away. So do you all hang it for a few days, do you butcher it like a deer, or freeze it bone and all thanks for the info

Bring it to me, and I will BBQ it for our families! I butcher mine like any other big game mammal. Remove the backstraps and tenderloins, then the four leg quarters. Javelina ribs are fun to BBQ on the grill, but keep the heat low or you will dry them out. I like to BBQ the quarters in a crock pot with a sweet onion for about 10 hours on low and the meat just falls off the bones! Pull the bones out and cook a few hours more and it is as tasty as twice pulled pork! Just slap it between some buns on sweet Hawaiian roles.

• Like 2

I take mine and skin it wash really good, hang dry place in garbage bag set in old refer at 35deg. for about 14-18 days then butcher as you wish, place portions into vacuum bags and seal, then freeze. Cook at your leisure how you want. I make steaks and roasts out of most, except for the loins they get special treatment.

So I got my first javelina tag this year and with work if I am lucky to get one I w7ll not have the time to cook it right away. So do you all hang it for a few days, do you butcher it like a deer, or freeze it bone and all thanks for the info

i have a pig tag this year, first one. had one at 20 yards and i was full draw. let it walk when the realization of cleaning and eating it entered my head. think when i get the other 9 big game species here i'll go for a rodent.

• Like 3

i have a pig tag this year, first one. had one at 20 yards and i was full draw. let it walk when the realization of cleaning and eating it entered my head. think when i get the other 9 big game species here i'll go for a rodent.

Ya the cleaning is the hardest part, I do love chasing and eating them.

• Like 1

I skinned quartered and washed. Saved the backstraps and sliced and chicken fried them; amazing. I saved one front shoulder in the freezer to either crockpot BBQ or crockpot green chili tacos or something. The rest went to wgp for 1/2 chorizo and 1/2 maple sausage. I would've done something with the tenderloins, but I accidentally gut shot her and one of them was trash... Oh well!

You can butcher and freeze it just like any other game animal. However, you should take extra care skinning it. Don't let your hands that have touched the hide, touch the meat. You don't want the musk smell to get on your meat. The musk gland will come off safely with the skin, just use care to not cut it open or touch it. Wear gloves while skinning, then change them out and use a different knife when cutting up the meat.

You can grill the tenderloins and backstrap and do the rest as sausage, or save some roasts if you like to cook roasts.

• Like 3

Take the whole pig and place on a board. Place pig on board in oven a 350' for approximately 3.5-4 hrs depending on size time will vary. When done let cool for 15 minutes. Throw pig in trash and serve board with choice of side. .:-)

In all seriousness I grind mine up with pork butt roasts and make into brats and breakfast sausage.

• Like 5

You can butcher and freeze it just like any other game animal. However, you should take extra care skinning it. Don't let your hands that have touched the hide, touch the meat. You don't want the musk smell to get on your meat. The musk gland will come off safely with the skin, just use care to not cut it open or touch it. Wear gloves while skinning, then change them out and use a different knife when cutting up the meat.

You can grill the tenderloins and backstrap and do the rest as sausage, or save some roasts if you like to cook roasts.

I totally agree - if the meat is kept clean, it is very good. If it gets any of the oil from the hair on it, that musky smell will definitely permeate the meat. Also be very careful of intestinal contents.

• Like 1

Got a question for those of you that have breakfast sausage made when you guys cook it does it have a strong smell. Like I tried to sneak in some piggy chorizo in on my wife n it left a musky smell in the house does your breakfast sausage do the same?

Just dropped mine off at wild game processing. First time ever taking my javelina somewhere. Told them make it all into chorizo. Hopefully il have the time and want to one day do it myself

• Like 1

after you taste their chorizo you might not want to do it yourself haha. it is really really good. so is their breakfast sausage and brawts!

• Like 1