Sign in to follow this  
PelaPapas

Recommend me a new sleeping bag!

I use a two person bag, very nice in the back of the truck, on the queen size cot or for sleep overs. Big enough to get dressed in while its cold in the mornings and lots of moving around room. It was 4 degrees last I used it and I was in my truck bed with no cover, the outside was iced over but I was warm. For packing in, the cabelas bag is nice.

Thanks to everyone for their input! I'm mostly only going to be using it for tent camping.

With tent camping i prefer to buy a lighter bag and just add blankets as needed for cold weather. Sleeping in a heavy bag when its warm sucks.

• Like 1

With tent camping i prefer to buy a lighter bag and just add blankets as needed for cold weather. Sleeping in a heavy bag when its warm sucks.

I've done that in the past and the blankets just seem to always come off during the night. I also want to eliminate taking blankets so I have less to take out with me. Mostly wanting a nice bag and sleeping pad.

I recommend a square bag for tent camping. I have a trekker bag and I am always warm!

If you're mostly tent camping then a square/rectangle bag is definitely the way to go. I use a Slumberjack Big Timber and love it. Nice and big and warm with a comfortable flannel liner.

You may want to look into promotive and see if you qualify for any of the teams on there. I get Big Agnes, Kelty, and Slumberjack all at close to half off through it.

So a square bag it is! What would be the best rated degree bag I should get for southern AZ weather? I seen that a lot of people mentioned the 0 degree bag. Would that be my best bet?

I like a 10-20 degree bag

Finally after many years, many dollars spending on bags, decided to pay up and bought a Butler Bag. Best investment ever. Have had it 10+ years. Dont think I will ever need another as long as I live. Best in the business by far.

• Like 1

I went with the Grizzly 25 degree and haven't been cold yet ( southern AZ deer hunts and piggy hunts). Haven't been drawn for elk in a while so not sure how it works in COLD weather. 90" long x 40" wide ( for us large size hunters). Throw on top of XL cot and you are good to go.

I think 0 degree bags in the southern areas are not a good idea. I've used and broke a sweat early in the night then froze my A$$ off the rest of the night.

I would LOVE to have a Butler bag but it's not in budget yet. They are the best.

Resurrecting an older thread here but has anyone got any experience with the Sea to Summit bags?

I need to pick one up in the next month and its pretty much down to the Sea to Summit Traverse or Big Agnes Mystic down bags in the 0-20* range. Kinda leaning towards the StS bag for the price and they appear to get fairly good reviews. However, who knows where those comments come from. I'd rather hear from someone here than an anonymous, "this bag is the bestest!"