Sign in to follow this  
SHOOTER

Spotting scope?

I've am looking for a 20-60x spotting scope I can spend up to $500 what spotting scope do you recommend? Need something to get me by till I can afford a Swarovski/Leica.Thanks

I would look into the vortex lines or even the leupold Kenai. The kenai looked really good for a fraction of the cost. Or just save your money. I purchased a lower end scope and ended up getting rid of it because it didn't benefit me at all.

Nikon field scope III or Vortex Viper are good in that price range. I think you can get the 80mm Viper in that price range too

If you don't already have big binoculars I would get those first, unless you are a trophy hunter who wants to access a trophy from long distance to save yourself miles of hiking. I went with a spotting scope first and hated looking through it for any period of time. After getting Kaibab's glassing became much more fun.

Here's the best option, IMO, wait another year and save up the extra cash and buy a nice spotting scope. No real reason to spend 500 now and in two years turn around and spend 1500. Buy nice or buy twice, the wait will make it worth it and you will end up with a better quality scope.

• Like 5

Lots of good suggestions. I'll add to go over to Optics Planet and spend some time over there also.Buying used is not to be overlooked as some great glass can be had at a big savings. Lots of times they were Range Queens and very well taken care of and you can look at places lime samplelist.com

http://www.opticsplanet.com/msgboard/

Here it what i did to get my Swarovskis. Started with a pair of 16x Pentax. They were around $200 i think. Used them for a couple of years while saving up $. Sold them on Ebay for $130ish and boughta pair of Minox 15s when they first came out. Big upgrade in quality and ran about $700. Used those for a few years while continuing to put away $ then ebayed them for $500 and bought the Swarovski.

• Like 1

get the best glass you can afford, poor glass will give you headaches if used over a long period of time.

One other thought is a fixed power spotter, I have picked up three Leupold armored 20 Power fixed spotters over the the last few years, they still have a lifetime warranty ( gold ring) and one of them was a Marine corp sniper issue , it has a MOA grid cross-hair. very light weight and easy to pack. I found these on one of the hunting forums.

tom

nikon > vortex in my opinion. i had the razor hd spotter and the eye relief is horrible. id look into nikon, vortex has too much hype in my opinion . just my opinion

I've had the worse experiences with Nikon that I will never give them another cent. Their warranty sucks and it's like pulling teeth dealing with them. My dad bought a range finder used it two times in a year then sat in the closet. Few days after the warranty expires they say it will cost 50 dollars more to fix than the original purchase price. Same thing happened with the wife's camera, yes I bought a Nikon when I said I wouldn't. Used one time lost charger. Bought new charger and screen does not turn on. Took it back and they said basically screw us. Might just be bad luck for me I don't know. I have had cheap scopes and finally bought the viper hd and like it, nothing like the high dollar ones out there but for 900 it's more than worth it to me. Check out all the reviews you can find and look into company warranties to! I'm bashing Nikon because of my experience but there are people that love their products for sure.

What do you want to use the spotting scope for? If it's for judging racks put the $$$ towards a quality pair of 15x optics, or keep saving for a high end spotter. At $500 you are going to get a heavy piece of equipment that doesn't do a lot for you that quality 15x won't in terms of really breaking down an animal at any great distance...

All that said at your price point I'd look for a used Nikon ED50. It's light, compact and offers great optics for the $$$...if you are pairing it with 10x it's great, but if you are carrying it with 15x binos it might end up being an annoyance in your pack.

• Like 1

+1 on Nikon. Don't waste $ on them . Crap service. As far as spotting scopes go save Your $. I have posted many times on forums ,They aint worth It unless You have the very best. I only own 15 power Minox binos and can find what any body else can, as far as Game. Iv'e had all the cheap spotters up to $800 my self and don't own any now. Just use My 15's all the time. Even a lot of high $ spotters ain't worth it till You get up to the very best. Iv'e tried all of My buddy's that have them,and I will never pay $2500 for some thing that won't get You clarity .Buy the Minox 15's like someone mentioned and that's all You need. It's not a $ issue with Me , but a reliability issue. Not bragging, Just trying to help from experience. If You can only afford $300 take leoupold or Minox over Nikon.........BOB!