Sign in to follow this  
kazpilot25

Cot Pad Question

So I'm thinking about getting a memory foam mattress topper to use as a cot pad. I can get a king size topper and cut it in half, and it will yield 2 great comfortable cot pads for much less than a actual cot pad of decent quality. Has anybody tried this? I'm looking for someone with experience to see if it works for staying warm and comfortable.

I'm not planning on backpacking anywhere with this, so weight isn't really an issue. It's all about comfort.

my brother inlaw works at a uppitty resort and they throw away their pool lounge chair pads when they get a little stain and they work great for me... the come with a zippered cover... prolly has some freak on it but I sleep in my bag... LOL!

I used to use a queen size memory foam inside my suv and it worked great but only lasted a couple years without a quality cover. that was $100 when I bought it.

James

• Like 1

... prolly has some freak on it but I sleep in my bag... LOL!

James

That just ain't right!!!

I'd have to say that just the memory foam as a pad might be too soft, once you "sink in", then you're against the cot. It would be great on top of another pad, but you'd have to have a tight cover to keep them together. I went to a foam distributor (Phoenix foam?) and had a medium density one cut to fit on my trucks bed carpet kit, then went to a fabric shop and got a big piece of Mossy Oak camo, then had a local seamstress sew up a cover for it with a zipper on one side. That is great in the tent or as a spare bed at home. Rolls up and secured with 2 rope loops. Been using it for 10 years. But for a cot, just get the Cabela's cot pad, you really can't go wrong with that.

Ever since I got one of these I sleep better in the back of my suburban than I do in my own bed.

http://www.amazon.com/Shikibuton-Trifold-density-resilient-Folding/dp/B004107WB0/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1391834754&sr=8-6&keywords=trifold+mat

Back when I was young I always took 1/2 inch bedroll and a wool blanket and wondered how the Indians could just lie down in the snow with no clothing. These days, if I have to sleep on a cot, I like 2" of foam and a good canvas bag. Funny how the older we get, the more we care about how and where we sleep.

Keep in mind, the thicker foam under your bag will take on a lot of sweat. Air it out during the day.

• Like 1

My memory foam pillow freezes up when it's really cold out . The foam hardens up in the cold, but body heat eventually softens it up. I'm not sure if it's the type of memory foam or if all memory foam does this. I no longer take this pillow camping with me for this reason though.

Ive been using a 6" foam pad with a cover in my truck camper. i sleep like a log and snore like a bear, its awesome..

A company called Easy Rest makes a 5" memory foam mattress in a twin and full size. It actually is pretty firm and comfortable.

Twin size sells for $129 and a full size sells for $169

You can get at Bedmart. They have a store off of Bell and Litchfield roads in Surprise

Does memory foam get harder when the weather is really cold?

no

james