Sign in to follow this  
Corkin

270 set up

Hey folks, Just got back from Ibex hunt here in NM. Used a friends 300 win mag with long range scope set up. Made a 444 yard shot with ease. Unbelievable. Here is my question. I have a 270 with timney trigger and synthetic stock. Ive killed elk, oryx, deer with it and swear by the load but I want to be able to reach out to 800 with it.

Is this a smart thing to do with this caliber or should I go and get a 300 mag? I know I need a scope[e set up for it and here that Leoplod makes a scope around 600 bucks and will send you the right MOA nob thingy for it once you give them the load set up.

Any advice is greatly appreciated. My wife also uses this rifle and shoots it very well but I really want to get a long range set up. Thanks for any advice, jake

You'll Get Many different AnswerS, But Imho, To Reach 800 On Game, You Should Step Up Caliber If You Can. The 270 Will Do It, But A 300 Is More Of A Good Thing,If You CaN Shoot It well.

270 will work fine especially for deer out to that range. There are some great bullet choices available now for the 270 that make it a good performer out to 800.The most important thing for making a long range shot is practice and good optics. If the load is good and shoots sub moa out to that distance I don't think you will have a problem. I prefer the scope to just have standard moa adjustments rather than the custom dial option just for the simple fact that I might change bullets or loads at some point and not have to buy a new turret to match. Bottom line is putting the bullet where it needs go. If you can do this with the 270 it will kill anything you point it at.

Check out the 150 grain Nosler long range accubond bullet for your .270, find the load that works for your rifle and have fun. I wouldn't hesitate to kill an elk out to 800 with that combination.

Understanding terminal ballistics of the round you are going to use and what the limitations are will go a long way in helping you to pick a caliber for the range you intend to shoot game at.

Knowing bullet drop and range estimation becomes critical at long range. With a 50 yard zero on average a 150 gr bullet at 2900fps is going to drop about 65" at 500 yards. At 600 it will jump to 100" and at 1000 yards it is about 360".

http://www.millettsights.com/downloads/ConsiderTerminalBallistics.pdf

Obviously putting the bullet on target consistently is the main goal.
Out past 400 allot of external ballistics start coming into play that you need to understand and know how to deal with to keep that bullet on target. An accurate rifle with the correct calculated shooting solution will be on target so long as you do your part behind it. Once you have learned and can repeat the external ballistics understanding terminal ballistics is next. IMO Caliber choice plays a big role in both of these. I tend to look at a few things. A consistently accurate load with the heaviest hunting construction bullet the rifle will accept. Plenty of K/E at the max range I intend to use the rifle on game. ( this part will help you decide on a caliber)

The .270 Win. Though capable wouldn't be my first choice. In .30 Cal. Personally I'd choose the .300 Win.Mag over the .300 RUM. ( with the same projectile choices I don't believe the extra recoil and powder spent is worth the extra FPS.) Don't get me wrong I shoot and love my hard hitting and recoiling .338 RUM but in a .30 cal. My choice would be the .300 WM.

This video clip is a great for anyone choosing a cartridge.

Given the 6.5's are the latest craze for long range shooting I think your 6.8 should be just fine. You really need to just work on finding a load and bullet suited for long range hunting. As suggested the 150gr bullets are a really good bet. Make sure you are pushing it fast enough to take advantage of the high BC and that your gun/you are capable of consistently making shots out to 800. Also, remember shot selection is really going to be your biggest battle, after 500yds shooting in the wind things get tough even with heavier caliber bullets.

The practice at long range is going to make you a better hunter/marksman so go for it and have fun!

800 yards for deer will be fine for the .270 with the right bullets. I'd be thinking the 150 grain+ Bergers or the 150 LR Accubond which if the BC holds up is a game changer for the .270.

Get a good MV of 2,950+ with any of these bullets, make sure you have little vertical dispersion, a good tracking scope, and practice.

800 yards is no big deal with good proven gear and with an experienced shooter.

Hey guys. Thanks for the input. Ill get pics posted tonight. Sorry for the delay. Ive been looking at different scopes. Right now thinking of the Nikon Monarch 3-4x16x42 or the leopold vx3 cds. You guys have any input on scope selection? Looking at turret set up. Thanks, jake

I personally own a 270 and would go with the 300 for long range such as 800 yards. I know everyone has an opinion. I have paid a lot of attention to these opinions over the years the majority feels 300 is better than 270 for long range shooting. A 300 is my next gun I would like to purchase, but I want it for close range elk.