Sign in to follow this  
bowhuntaz1

#14 and 15

Correct me If I'm wrong but I think a lion kills a deer or sheep every 3 days or so. It might be longer not sure anybody have the correct answer

With the amount of research you would think that would go into any re-introduction they would've done a lion survey prior to the release. Makes me feel like the sheep were free meals given to the lions This doesn't appear to be a very successful re-introduction to have 50% of the sheep lost within such a short time.

Very sad for the sheep and sad for the lions.

Wow a hundred lions in that small patch and you guy's that live down there cant glass them up and kill a lion. I would think that should be the most popular spot in AZ for the guy's that want to kill a lion(lol). I do have to agree it does not sound like this was planned out well.

/>Correct me If I'm wrong but I think a lion kills a deer or sheep every 3 days or so. It might be longer not sure anybody have the correct answer
That's not true at all. . Even if deer hunters tell you that. Just do the math.

Approximately 2000 lions in arizona. Let's say 1/4 are kittens that don't kill. So 1500 deer eaters. 1500X122 Deer a year means that 183,000 deer die every year. Throw in deer killed by hunters and that's over 200,000 deer a year. We would run out of deer within a year.

• Like 1

/>

3 lions wouldent that roughly save 150 deer per year?[/quo. ]

False. . A lion doesn't kill a deer a week.

I don't know but that is what I have been told from a couple of my friends that are retired G nF officers. They also have had male lions killing deer just to kill them and not even eat them. But who knows?

Wayno you have went and used a factual artical,l that will screw up everything on here(lol).

My bad lol. That study was about lions in a colder climate so I would guess they require a higher caloric intake than the ones here in Arizona. Does anyone know of any similar studies conducted in the Southwest?

/>

Wayno you have went and used a factual artical,l that will screw up everything on here(lol).

My bad lol. That study was about lions in a colder climate so I would guess they require a higher caloric intake than the ones here in Arizona. Does anyone know of any similar studies conducted in the Southwest?

AZ G&F is currently studying lions in the Catalina Mountains... and so far it turns out that it is correct, they kill about 1 sheep a week. Study is ongoing for at least another 15 bighorns. Then they will re evaluate and decide if they want to continue studying(feeding) the lions.

• Like 3

some people should make some desert bighorn Montana decoys with integrated meat/sheep scent on them and set them up in the catalinas with a hunter watching the decoy at all times, you might get a few lions killed.

• Like 2

Factual article or not do the simple math. Doesn't take a genius to see that if we have 200,000 deer in Arizona and lions and hunters kill over 200,000 deer a year after 1 year there would be nothing left. 200,000-201,000= -1000= no deer= impossible that lions eat a deer every 3 days or every 7 days for that matter.

I have heard it many times from avid deer hunters or from the AZGFD but the numbers don't lie. AZGFD actually says there are over 4000 lions in Arizona so think about that one. 3000 deer killers on the loose relentlessly killing deer every 3-5 days plus the AZGFD relentlessly giving out way to many tags equals over 400,000 deer dying in Arizona alone.

Another thing to think about. All of us on the site are out in the woods more in one year than most people their whole lives. I bet you can count on one hand how many lion kills you have found. I bet I can tell you that of the hundreds of days in the woods a year I have found 1 lion kill. If these lions are leaving a trail of destruction where is the evidence?

Now leaving 31 sheep in front of 30+ lions is a different story. Just like if someone left a big T bone steak in front of me day after day. And then after I ate it they brought me more.

That they kill once a week is probably accurate but there is a lot more "food" out there than just deer.... cattle/calves, Javelina, turkey, small game, elk up north, etc... in AZ I bet deer make up a fraction (25%??) Of a mountain lion's diet..