Sign in to follow this  
bowhuntaz1

#14 and 15

This is a copy/past from Jayme West w/MacandGaydos facebook page

15 of the 31 bighorn sheep have died in the Catalina Mountains north of Tucson since being relocated there from Yuma last November. AZ Game & Fish has killed 3 mountain lions for preying on the sheep. Can someone tell me why the big cats are being killed? The state basically delivered food right to their home then killed them for eating it. I don't get it. Mountain lions are going to do what Mountain lions are made to do. Maybe they should be relocated instead of killed. Ok, I'm off my soap box now. Carry on.

http://azstarnet.com/news/local/more-bighorns-found-dead-rd-mountain-lion-killed/article_2145b2f8-a491-11e3-98bc-001a4bcf887a.html

Azstarnet.com has an article on the last two sheep deaths (and the others too). If you really want to see how clueless the public is read the comments on the articles.

You guys that deer hunt near there should be excited. The deer hunting should get better with all those cats gone.

3 out of 100 lions... doubt that will make much of a difference.

Well we are 4 months into this project and already 50% mortality rate. I think its time to catch the remaining sheep and relocate them back to their home unit before we reach 100% mortality.

• Like 2

I keep looking at the Game and Fish web page and their monthly wildlife news... I haven't seen one story on the bighorns being killed off or any updates. I guess they are not proud of killing of 15 of Arizona's prized Bighorn, and reducing bighorn hunting opportunities.

There are lots of veteran hounds men that have been hunting lions for more years than you can imagine. They know more about lion behavior than the majority of Game and Fish biologists. Wonder when the experts will start consulting with the real experts before they throw a pile of money down the rat hole . This whole debacle could have been avoided. Some of the comments by Game and Fish are laughable.

• Like 1

Ah so you guys want them to waste more money to transplant the sheep back home now????

That doesn't make sense if you think they wasted money in the first place. Now you want them to spend more?

How about they auction 15 tags off for "any sheep" and let hunters kill the remaining 15 before the lions kill them. At least the department could make some money and put it towards existing sheep habitat enhancements.

• Like 5

How about they auction 15 tags off for "any sheep" and let hunters kill the remaining 15 before the lions kill them. At least the department could make some money and put it towards existing sheep habitat enhancements.

Seems like a good idea to logical thinkers like us but imagine the heyday that all the anti's and the watchdog reporters would have. I am sure they would spin it that G & F planted the sheep up there knowing it would fail so that a few hunters could then take out the rest.

The further this goes the more of a public relations disaster it becomes. G & F is in way too deep to save face now. Unfortunately the hunting community gets drug through the mud too, even though many of us were quite skeptical of the project in the first place.

• Like 1