Sign in to follow this  
AZLance

game and fish gun down endangered red squirell

http://m.azstarnet.com/news/local/arizona-wildlife-manager-accidently-kills-endangered-red-squirrel/article_1bc6b690-3f8f-53a2-aaab-019b85ec0cae.html?mobile_touch=true

I really couldn't care about a stupid red squirell, but this department seriously needs to start issuing knee high muck boots to its employees. They just can seem to miss stepping into it.

More great press for our beloved department...

I guess I am actually starting to feel sorry for the game department. Even AZLance can't make this stuff up.

as long as he gets the same punishment he would give to someone else that did that.

i wouldnt hold your breath

"While the accidental taking of any endangered species is, of course, regrettable, our wildlife manager in the field self-reported his actions as early and as ethically as possible,"

ive heard of people "self reporting" and get the whole library thrown at them.

• Like 3

I am sure glad somebody doesn't publish every mistake I make at work in the newspaper. I would need my own section.

• Like 4

I am sure glad somebody doesn't publish every mistake I make at work in the newspaper. I would need my own section.
me too . But at my work I'm not a wild life expert who killed an endangered animal. Up to now I've been some what supportive of the dept. But my opinions will be shaped by the punishment handed out.

If I accidentally shot a wolf tomorrow and there's a different punishment I think we can all agree that's crap.

• Like 2

/>

/>/>/>I am sure glad somebody doesn't publish every mistake I make at work in the newspaper. I would need my own section.

me too . But at my work I'm not a wild life expert who killed an endangered animal. Up to now I've been some what supportive of the dept. But my opinions will be shaped by the punishment handed out.

If I accidentally shot a wolf tomorrow and there's a different punishment I think we can all agree that's crap.

What if you had been tasked with eliminating another species of wolf that looked very similar and made an honest mistake? He was told to shoot other squirrels on site. It's not like he was out shooting whatever moved for fun.

Incidental take as part if a larger recovery effort is not the same as intentional take or take as a result of unrelated activities...nor should it be.

There is a reason "incidental take" is a defined term under section 7 of the ESA.

• Like 1

Hahaha I love it. . Would love to see how nice they would be if one of us ran to them and informed them we accidently shot their beloved squirrels. They would cut our nuts off. No pun intended.

• Like 4

/>

/>

/>/>I am sure glad somebody doesn't publish every mistake I make at work in the newspaper. I would need my own section.

What if you had been tasked with eliminating another species of wolf that looked very similar and made an honest mistake? He was told to shoot other squirrels on site. It's not like he was out shooting whatever moved for fun.

Incidental take as part if a larger recovery effort is not the same as intentional take or take as a result of unrelated activities...nor should it be.

There is a reason "incidental take" is a defined term under section 7 of the ESA.

who gets to decide what species gets eliminated and what species gets to live?

Guest akaspecials

From what I've read and heard, it was an honest mistake. But nonetheless, it's an endangered species that a trained wildlife manager should be able to identify. As has been said, he should get the same penalty as any of us.

Btw, if game and fish is taking out Aberts squirells, are they eating them? If not, is that waste of game meat?

/>

/>

/>/>/>/>

/>/>I am sure glad somebody doesn't publish every mistake I make at work in the newspaper. I would need my own section.

who gets to decide what species gets eliminated and what species gets to live?
It's outlined in the recovery plan approved by USFW and administered by either the federal or state agency, whichever is assigned to that particular population. Here, the elimination of competing squirrels is sanctioned as part of the recovery plan. The accidental take of the target species as part of official the official recovery plan is designated as an "incidental take." If the take meets the legal definition of an incidental take (which it appears was likely the case here) then there will not be any individual punishment.

What's the difference between an agent doing it and you or me? Well, we don't have the authority under the ESA to take the actions that could potentially result in this type of incidental take. The shooting of a red squirrel that's not related to a sanctioned recovery action would be per se actionable.

i really dont understand this comment. you do a lot of illegal stuff like killing endangered species?

• Like 2