capoeirajosh

salt or corn?

Gonna go set up a camera this weekend. I was curious if you were aloud to use some sort of bait in front of the camera. Thinking about putting down a salt block or corn. I have heard that salt is ok. What about other things, such as corn? I know you you can't hunt over corn, but was curious about the trail camera thing. Thanks in advance!

I think corn is no bueno. Salt is everywhere. I think that's legal.

If you put the corn out for a non big game species such as Feral Hogs it is perfectly legal. And maybe if your lucky a buck will come into your non big game corn pile.

• Like 3

If they monitor you for months and see that you used corn for a camera and then hunted in that area then yes, against the new law. I imagine you have more common sense than that though, and the man power is limited to actually catch you. Just do what you feel is moral, if you hunt a very remote area.

• Like 1

Guest akaspecials

I wouldn't put out corn. It's illegal. And I know a few guys that have found corn piles and have "confiscated" all of the trail cameras, blinds, and chairs that were left at the corn piles and left nice notes.

Salt is okay.

/>I wouldn't put out corn. It's illegal. And I know a few guys that have found corn piles and have "confiscated" all of the trail cameras, blinds, and chairs that were left at the corn piles and left nice notes.

Salt is okay.

"a few guys"? Were they game wardens or rangers? Or were they stealing "confiscating" someone else's stuff?
  • Like 1

Guest akaspecials
/> I wouldn't put out corn. It's illegal. And I know a few guys that have found corn piles and have "confiscated" all of the trail cameras, blinds, and chairs that were left at the corn piles and left nice notes.

Salt is okay.

"a few guys"? Were they game wardens or rangers? Or were they stealing "confiscating" someone else's stuff?

They are normal folks like you and me. Found guys hunting over corn, after it's been made illegal, took thier stuff and left a note. No one ever seems to call back to claim thier stuff when they are caught doing illegal things.

I know a few guys that confiscated all the trail cams and stands that were on a salt lick ... that don't make it right. Its called stealing.

• Like 8

I know guys who put out corn for "feral hogs"...I'm curious if disease did spread due to baiting "feral hogs" you would blame the G&F for allowing it to spread...

Guest akaspecials
I know a few guys that confiscated all the trail cams and stands that were on a salt lick ... that don't make it right. Its called stealing.

I should have specified that they left a note with thier number so they could retrieve it. It may be stealing, but I see no problem with taking someone's set up if they are hunting illegally like that.

I would personally call game and fish and let them deal with it instead of playing vigilante. But you know how those local boys are in unit 23... :)

Alrighty! I will probably pick up a salt block from sportsmans then. How bout the mineral licks?

Guest akaspecials
Alrighty! I will probably pick up a salt block from sportsmans then. How bout the mineral licks?

Go to a feed store and get loose salt for cattle. They should have some that is redish so it blends in. I've found salt licks where white salt was used while glassing, so now i only use the "mineral salt" that is redish so it blends in. Also, antis are less likely to spot it and get butt sore.

Also, if you use loose salt no one can move it without putting in a lot of effort. I've had people steal block salt from me, so I only use loose now.

I don't place salt or corn and only have one camera that I use on occasion but if one of your buddy's took it and left a note I'd be sure to get it back! How dare them for believing they are above the law! Just like me writing you a ticket for being double parked with no authority, laughable at best!

• Like 3