capoeirajosh

salt or corn?

I wonder what those small town "Holier than now" friends you speak of do to thieves?? That's the only law being broken. Unless these guys are taking the cams, stands, etc while there is someone hunting over it.. That said, two wrongs don't make a right.

I am done trying to convince you that you and those you associate with are thieves... Your parents should have done a better job of it. Happy hunting..

• Like 2

As it stands with G&F placing "bait" isn't illegal until you hunt over it, weather you placed it there or just found it. Hunting over bait is and will always be illegal.

Might want to check to be sure, but my interpretation is that putting out corn is illegal regardless of when it is done. There is nothing in the law that translates to "during a hunting season." Also, take note of the OR in "for the purpose of attracting or taking big game" under 4A.

R12-4-303. Unlawful Devices, Methods, and Ammunition

4. An individual shall not use edible or ingestible substances to aid in taking big game. The use of edible or ingestible substances to aid in taking big game is unlawful when:

a. An individual places edible or ingestible substances for the purpose of attracting or taking big game, or

b. An individual knowingly takes big game with the aid of edible or ingestible substances placed for the purpose of attracting wildlife to a specific location.

5. Subsection (A)(4) does not limit Department employees or Department agents in the performance of their official duties.

6. For the purposes of subsection (A)(4), edible or ingestible substances do not include any of the following:

a. Water.

b. Salt.

c. Salt-based materials produced and manufactured for the livestock industry.

d. Nutritional supplements produced and manufactured for the livestock industry and placed during the course of livestock or agricultural operations.

As it stands with G&F placing "bait" isn't illegal until you hunt over it, weather you placed it there or just found it. Hunting over bait is and will always be illegal.
Might want to check to be sure, but my interpretation is that putting out corn is illegal regardless of when it is done. There is nothing in the law that translates to "during a hunting season." Also, take note of the OR in "for the purpose of attracting or taking big game" under 4A. R12-4-303. Unlawful Devices, Methods, and Ammunition4. An individual shall not use edible or ingestible substances to aid in taking big game. The use of edible or ingestible substances to aid in taking big game is unlawful when:a. An individual places edible or ingestible substances for the purpose of attracting or taking big game, orb. An individual knowingly takes big game with the aid of edible or ingestible substances placed for the purpose of attracting wildlife to a specific location.5. Subsection (A)(4) does not limit Department employees or Department agents in the performance of their official duties.6. For the purposes of subsection (A)(4), edible or ingestible substances do not include any of the following:a. Water.b. Salt.c. Salt-based materials produced and manufactured for the livestock industry.d. Nutritional supplements produced and manufactured for the livestock industry and placed during the course of livestock or agricultural operations.

Tony my statement is based on several conversations with G&F officers and supervisors, if they r wrong then I am also wrong.

Another part of the question is who owns the property? Do you have the permission of the property owner?

Here is what AZGFD had to say about placing bait out for feral hogs on CWT.com forums back on Jan 15th, 2013

"OK, hogs are not wildlife. So you can use bait for hogs. But if you placed bait for hogs, then you cannot hunt deer over that bait. In fact, if you know someone else placed the bait for hogs, you cannot hunt deer over it.

Big game is defined in statute (A.R.S. 17-101((3)). They include wild turkey, deer, elk, pronghorn, bighorn sheep, bison, peccary, bear and mountain lion.

Brian Wakeling

Game Branch Chief"

So what I take from this is if you put out "bait" for feral hogs it is legal. You can not kill a deer over this bait, because it was put out for feral hogs. But if you had a trail cam on the bait pile and there were deer on it that would be OK, as long as you don't hunt a big game species over that bait. Now the real grey area is how close to the "bait" area can you hunt without being guilty of hunting over bait? Do you need to be 100yds away? 1/4 mile away? Out of sight?

Maybe, remove the bait before hunting the area?? That would be in the case of using a mineral or salt block.

/>

Might want to check to be sure, but my interpretation is that putting out corn is illegal regardless of when it is done. There is nothing in the law that translates to "during a hunting season." Also, take note of the OR in "for the purpose of attracting or taking big game" under 4A.

R12-4-303. Unlawful Devices, Methods, and Ammunition

4. An individual shall not use edible or ingestible substances to aid in taking big game. The use of edible or ingestible substances to aid in taking big game is unlawful when:

a. An individual places edible or ingestible substances for the purpose of attracting or taking big game, or

b. An individual knowingly takes big game with the aid of edible or ingestible substances placed for the purpose of attracting wildlife to a specific location.

5. Subsection (A)(4) does not limit Department employees or Department agents in the performance of their official duties.

6. For the purposes of subsection (A)(4), edible or ingestible substances do not include any of the following:

a. Water.

b. Salt.

c. Salt-based materials produced and manufactured for the livestock industry.

d. Nutritional supplements produced and manufactured for the livestock industry and placed during the course of livestock or agricultural operations.

Hi Tony, check your message box, I sent you a couple a couple of months ago.

Guest akaspecials
Maybe, remove the bait before hunting the area?? That would be in the case of using a mineral or salt block.

You can legally hunt over mineral or salt blocks. There would be no need to move them.

To be able to legally hunt over an area that was baited with corn, I think the bait has to be removed for 10 days. That's the case with waterfowl anyways.

I wouldn't put out corn. It's illegal. And I know a few guys that have found corn piles and have "confiscated" all of the trail cameras, blinds, and chairs that were left at the corn piles and left nice notes.

Salt is okay.

I know a few guys that confiscated all the trail cams and stands that were on a salt lick ... that don't make it right. Its called stealing.

I would personally call game and fish and let them deal with it instead of playing vigilante. But you know how those local boys are in unit 23... :)

maybe someone should personally call the cops on you and your friends for stealing cams?

• Like 3

/>

I wouldn't put out corn. It's illegal. And I know a few guys that have found corn piles and have "confiscated" all of the trail cameras, blinds, and chairs that were left at the corn piles and left nice notes.

Salt is okay.

I know a few guys that confiscated all the trail cams and stands that were on a salt lick ... that don't make it right. Its called stealing.

I would personally call game and fish and let them deal with it instead of playing vigilante. But you know how those local boys are in unit 23... :)

maybe someone should personally call the cops on you and your friends for stealing cams?

In the case above, I did call the sheriff, but to this day, I have not gotten my camera or stand back, and no one has been charged yet.

Might want to check to be sure, but my interpretation is that putting out corn is illegal regardless of when it is done. There is nothing in the law that translates to "during a hunting season." Also, take note of the OR in "for the purpose of attracting or taking big game" under 4A. R12-4-303. Unlawful Devices, Methods, and Ammunition4. An individual shall not use edible or ingestible substances to aid in taking big game. The use of edible or ingestible substances to aid in taking big game is unlawful when:a. An individual places edible or ingestible substances for the purpose of attracting or taking big game, orb. An individual knowingly takes big game with the aid of edible or ingestible substances placed for the purpose of attracting wildlife to a specific location.5. Subsection (A)(4) does not limit Department employees or Department agents in the performance of their official duties.6. For the purposes of subsection (A)(4), edible or ingestible substances do not include any of the following:a. Water.b. Salt.c. Salt-based materials produced and manufactured for the livestock industry.d. Nutritional supplements produced and manufactured for the livestock industry and placed during the course of livestock or agricultural operations.

Tony my statement is based on several conversations with G&F officers and supervisors, if they r wrong then I am also wrong.

That intrepretation makes no sense. One of the reasons corn and other food stuffs were banned was the spread of CWD, etc. If such items would promote the spread of diseases while hunting over them, they would also do the same when those items are used for feral hogs and/or trail camera use because per the law, they would be attracting wildlife.

Outdoor Writer,

You are missing the point, It was never really about the spread of disease. That was just a talking point from Game & Fish. 1 month after the bait ban was passed the game and fish published a report saying there was no CWD in AZ.

Agree with Tony on this! Law seems pretty clear to me, NO BAITING!!. I am sure there will be people who want to push the issue and will either find out the hard way, or come back with some solid case law.

Outdoor Writer, You are missing the point, It was never really about the spread of disease. That was just a talking point from Game & Fish. 1 month after the bait ban was passed the game and fish published a report saying there was no CWD in AZ.

There were no quagga or zebra mussels in AZ either until the first ones appeared in 2007 in Lake Mead. Now they are in several lakes including Pleasant. Perhaps if they had been PROACTIVE with the laws/rules now in place, the mussels would not have made it into AZ waters. IOW, the law to stop the spread now is REACTIVE, i.e. an attempt to keep it from getting worse. Kinda like closing the barn door after the horse gets out. Think of it this way: people get flu shots to prevent getting the flu, not to cure the flu after the fact.

Lastly, just because no animal has been found in AZ that has CWD doesn't mean it's not here yet.

• Like 2

/>Outdoor Writer,

You are missing the point, It was never really about the spread of disease. That was just a talking point from Game & Fish. 1 month after the bait ban was passed the game and fish published a report saying there was no CWD in AZ.

Well what was it about then? You must know something we dont know.