capoeirajosh

salt or corn?

How about you just hunt the animal instead of trying to bait it and catch it on video. I would like to put a 12 guage slug right into every trail camera i see. Hunters are getting lazy and i guarantee there wouldn't be as many 110 inch deer and 380 inch elk killed if they had to get off their butts and actually hunt

• Like 2

How about you just hunt the animal instead of trying to bait it and catch it on video. I would like to put a 12 guage slug right into every trail camera i see. Hunters are getting lazy and i guarantee there wouldn't be as many 110 inch deer and 380 inch elk killed if they had to get off their butts and actually hunt

There is a lot of ignorance around setting up cameras on this website. I set up my very first camera EVER several months ago and I have been working harder at "hunting" than ever before. People seem to think that because you have a camera up, the animal will be chained to the tree in front of your camera come hunting season....ignorant....what happened to wanting to gauge the population...be it predator, deer, or otherwise? What happen to hiking 3 miles in and 3 miles out to get away from people and feel like you have small piece of this earth to yourself? How about the gents in the midwest who labor for months and months and months for 5 seconds of opportunity? Because a hunter uses a trail cam they are less of a hunter?

Some of what I would consider the more accomplished hunters on this website (whether its based on success, antler size, etc) use cameras as a catalyst to hunt harder than anyone else I know. Miles of hiking, hours of glassing, etc. based on areas determined good by use of a trail cam. Bating.....another issue entirely. But to to call a hunter lazy cause they use a camera...IGNORANT.

• Like 9

The last thing I would add is specific to your last comment. Cameras, I have learned in the last 4 weeks, improves a hunters education dramatically about the environment. There is so many things to learn from looking at the pictures you have captured. If we are all being true to improving the animal population, taking mature animals, etc. than what better way than to let a 280" bull walk because you are "educated" to the fact that there are more mature animals to harvest? Likewise, if you learn an area is under populated, make a decision not to hunt there and move on....your analogy suggests cameras are responsible for harvesting big animals as if it a bad thing? How about the twenty or so 2 and 3 year old animals that get to live another year because of the education a camera provided? Lastly, a camera is not a substitution for scouting, etc. I still think this is essential as well.

• Like 6

There is a lot of ignorance around setting up cameras on this website. I set up my very first camera EVER several months ago and I have been working harder at "hunting" than ever before. People seem to think that because you have a camera up, the animal will be chained to the tree in front of your camera come hunting season....ignorant....what happened to wanting to gauge the population...be it predator, deer, or otherwise? What happen to hiking 3 miles in and 3 miles out to get away from people and feel like you have small piece of this earth to yourself? How about the gents in the midwest who labor for months and months and months for 5 seconds of opportunity? Because a hunter uses a trail cam they are less of a hunter?

Some of what I would consider the more accomplished hunters on this website (whether its based on success, antler size, etc) use cameras as a catalyst to hunt harder than anyone else I know. Miles of hiking, hours of glassing, etc. based on areas determined good by use of a trail cam. Bating.....another issue entirely. But to to call a hunter lazy cause they use a camera...IGNORANT.

every trail camera has a date and time for one reason only and you will never convince me that they are not used to pattern the animal. Animals are creature of habit. I didn't call anyone specific lazy sorry you thought that applied to you. I didn't say mklong40 was a lazy hunter all i said was it is the reason more and more record book deer and elk are killed every year. But ignorant was directed specifically at me.

Corn is illegal. Salt and water is ok. Don't do anything that will jeopardize your hunting career!

Like kill a Jaguar or a Red Squirell? Oh wait...

• Like 1

Hey, we are just sharing opinions here and mine might be different next week. I'll still be the guy that stops and asks you if you need help if you are broken down on the side of the road! No worries.

• Like 1

The last thing I would add is specific to your last comment. Cameras, I have learned in the last 4 weeks, improves a hunters education dramatically about the environment. There is so many things to learn from looking at the pictures you have captured. If we are all being true to improving the animal population, taking mature animals, etc. than what better way than to let a 280" bull walk because you are "educated" to the fact that there are more mature animals to harvest? Likewise, if you learn an area is under populated, make a decision not to hunt there and move on....your analogy suggests cameras are responsible for harvesting big animals as if it a bad thing? How about the twenty or so 2 and 3 year old animals that get to live another year because of the education a camera provided? Lastly, a camera is not a substitution for scouting, etc. I still think this is essential as well.

wow you really took that personal. I received a lot of likes for that post so I'm not alone in my thoughts. I'm sure I'm from another generation of hunters and we did it all on our own

No, I didn't take it personal. I'm just trying to convince myself that my one camera that I have out over Tbones, donuts, pizza, and corn that also emails the pictures to me so I can hit my goal of 380lbs by August sitting on my couch is all OK. Lol. Just kidding man. Happy hunting.

Hunters aren't getting "lazy". Hunters are getting smarter. And trail cams are one of the tools they use. I'd bet on average anyone that works cameras probably puts more effort in to their hunts than those that don't. And yeah they're bagging bigger game, because they're smarter about their efforts. If it's legal, and it improves your success, using cams is no different than buying expensive glass, high powered scopes or using a rifle versus a bow. They all increase ur odds!

• Like 5

/>

wow you really took that personal. I received a lot of likes for that post so I'm not alone in my thoughts. I'm sure I'm from another generation of hunters and we did it all on our own
I'm jumping in on this one...you did it all on your own? What'd u choke your game to death? You never bought a better performing rifle or a nicer set of glass? All of us hunters do things to improve our odds. Cams are no different.
  • Like 1

Wow, I didn't mean to stir people up. Sorry, to anyone I have offended. I just wanted to get some pictures of the animals in the area I hunted this past fall.

• Like 1

Don't worry about it you asked a legitimate question. Use salt it works better than corn which is for feeding squirrels and birds and last about 2 hours at my cabin. Salt is for hoofed animals which need it in their diet and look for it.

Amazing that others are so inclined to pass judgment on everyone else they have to start ranting. This site is usually very good for discussing lots of hunting related issues but there are always those that want to take it down a rat hole with their perfect flawless opinions.

good luck with your pics!

Find you a remote canyon and dump some water softner pellets and water in the dirt and stir.

Come back in august set up a trailcam and enjoy ;)

• Like 1

/>

I'm jumping in on this one...you did it all on your own? What'd u choke your game to death? You never bought a better performing rifle or a nicer set of glass? All of us hunters do things to improve our odds. Cams are no different.

GreenMachine you hit it on the money. 1shot if you are claiming that cameras are the reason that more big trophy animals are being killed then why don't we also look at the fact that technology has made better equipment that everyone uses and not just focus on cameras alone. What about high powered rifles and scope by which "hunters" shot there game at further distances (up to 1000 yards)? Ever think about this? How about the increased use of high powered optics and GPS gadgets? How about the increase in dedicated, passionate and hardworking hunters that go the extra mile to harvest a mature animal? How about that fact that some ppl are LUCKY, and the fact that there has been an increased use of outfitters to harvest trophy animals. You make it sound like trail cameras ALONE are the reason for the increase trophy harvest, which by the way how are you coming up with this information that more trophies are being killed?? Some of the biggest trophy animals were killed 50 plus years ago, and they were killed all the time. What has changed is how information spreads. Whenever someone kills a trophy now a days, everyone hears about it so it may seem as if more trophies are being killed. Are there more trophy animals being taken now compared to previous years? Perhaps...but there are also more hunters now then before. If there indeed are more trophies being killed each year, trust me its not because of cameras, its due to a huge combination of factors.

Cameras are a tool, just like 15x56 swarovskis, vortex scopes, GPS, quads, maps, high powered rifles, compound bows... they are all tools that help us reach a higher potential as hunters. As mklong40 said, there is EXTREME Ignorance when it comes to people talking about the use of trail cameras. Do ppl really believe that just by putting a camera out you are going to have immediate results and a trophy buck is just going to appear? Most of the time you get nothing. People don't realize the amount of work that goes into utilizing a camera. You have to scout the area first and locate the game before you even put the camera out. I am no one to say that one mans style of hunting is better then the next; as long as it is ethical and legal. Last I checked, camera are still legal. Therefore, please respect the hard work and hunting methods that others use even if they do not aline with yours. 1shot this is not an attack nor do I take it personal, just making a point based on your arguments.

P.S. Your comment of "I received a lot of likes for that post so I'm not alone in my thoughts." You only had 1 like when I checked. Yup sounds like a lot to me.

• Like 2