capoeirajosh

salt or corn?

How about you just hunt the animal instead of trying to bait it and catch it on video. I would like to put a 12 guage slug right into every trail camera i see. Hunters are getting lazy and i guarantee there wouldn't be as many 110 inch deer and 380 inch elk killed if they had to get off their butts and actually hunt

The last thing I would add is specific to your last comment. Cameras, I have learned in the last 4 weeks, improves a hunters education dramatically about the environment. There is so many things to learn from looking at the pictures you have captured. If we are all being true to improving the animal population, taking mature animals, etc. than what better way than to let a 280" bull walk because you are "educated" to the fact that there are more mature animals to harvest? Likewise, if you learn an area is under populated, make a decision not to hunt there and move on....your analogy suggests cameras are responsible for harvesting big animals as if it a bad thing? How about the twenty or so 2 and 3 year old animals that get to live another year because of the education a camera provided? Lastly, a camera is not a substitution for scouting, etc. I still think this is essential as well.

wow you really took that personal. I received a lot of likes for that post so I'm not alone in my thoughts. I'm sure I'm from another generation of hunters and we did it all on our own

I for one have a very limited time I can scout due to working 6 days a week. The use of several cameras has given me more insite to the population in a given area. I can place two or three cameras in one area and two or three in another the next week, and scout the first area in the morning and check the cams in the afternoon. SORRY I have to maximize my time in the field. By the way finding good animals with a camera doesn't equel a kill you still have to hunt the animal.

I wouldn't put out corn. It's illegal. And I know a few guys that have found corn piles and have "confiscated" all of the trail cameras, blinds, and chairs that were left at the corn piles and left nice notes.

Salt is okay.

WOW.. That's what I call a class act right here..

You're a thief and you associate yourself with thieves. Your parents should be ashamed of themselves. Me and my daughter set up a cam a couple miles back (granted a couple miles must be the "lazy" way of hunting) and the look on her face when we returned to find it gone is enough to want to hunt your friends instead of the game we wanted photos of. Wow, some guys say off the walls things on this forum, myself included but you take the cake on this one buddy. You should post your vigilante friends number on here, I'll go get everyones stuff back for them,

So, what do your thief friends do with all of the equipment they steal? Turn it in to the officials? I doubt it.

How people spend their hard earned time and money is no business of yours, I hope you and your friends end up in jail or better yet, get caught by the men they are stealing from.

• Like 5

/>

/>

How about you just hunt the animal instead of trying to bait it and catch it on video. I would like to put a 12 guage slug right into every trail camera i see. Hunters are getting lazy and i guarantee there wouldn't be as many 110 inch deer and 380 inch elk killed if they had to get off their butts and actually hunt

The last thing I would add is specific to your last comment. Cameras, I have learned in the last 4 weeks, improves a hunters education dramatically about the environment. There is so many things to learn from looking at the pictures you have captured. If we are all being true to improving the animal population, taking mature animals, etc. than what better way than to let a 280" bull walk because you are "educated" to the fact that there are more mature animals to harvest? Likewise, if you learn an area is under populated, make a decision not to hunt there and move on....your analogy suggests cameras are responsible for harvesting big animals as if it a bad thing? How about the twenty or so 2 and 3 year old animals that get to live another year because of the education a camera provided? Lastly, a camera is not a substitution for scouting, etc. I still think this is essential as well.

wow you really took that personal. I received a lot of likes for that post so I'm not alone in my thoughts. I'm sure I'm from another generation of hunters and we did it all on our own
I'm jumping in on this one...you did it all on your own? What'd u choke your game to death? You never bought a better performing rifle or a nicer set of glass? All of us hunters do things to improve our odds. Cams are no different.
GreenMachine you hit it on the money. 1shot if you are claiming that cameras are the reason that more big trophy animals are being killed then why don't we also look at the fact that technology has made better equipment that everyone uses and not just focus on cameras alone. What about high powered rifles and scope by which "hunters" shot there game at further distances (up to 1000 yards)? Ever think about this? How about the increased use of high powered optics and GPS gadgets? How about the increase in dedicated, passionate and hardworking hunters that go the extra mile to harvest a mature animal? How about that fact that some ppl are LUCKY, and the fact that there has been an increased use of outfitters to harvest trophy animals. You make it sound like trail cameras ALONE are the reason for the increase trophy harvest, which by the way how are you coming up with this information that more trophies are being killed?? Some of the biggest trophy animals were killed 50 plus years ago, and they were killed all the time. What has changed is how information spreads. Whenever someone kills a trophy now a days, everyone hears about it so it may seem as if more trophies are being killed. Are there more trophy animals being taken now compared to previous years? Perhaps...but there are also more hunters now then before. If there indeed are more trophies being killed each year, trust me its not because of cameras, its due to a huge combination of factors.

Cameras are a tool, just like 15x56 swarovskis, vortex scopes, GPS, quads, maps, high powered rifles, compound bows... they are all tools that help us reach a higher potential as hunters. As mklong40 said, there is EXTREME Ignorance when it comes to people talking about the use of trail cameras. Do ppl really believe that just by putting a camera out you are going to have immediate results and a trophy buck is just going to appear? Most of the time you get nothing. People don't realize the amount of work that goes into utilizing a camera. You have to scout the area first and locate the game before you even put the camera out. I am no one to say that one mans style of hunting is better then the next; as long as it is ethical and legal. Last I checked, camera are still legal. Therefore, please respect the hard work and hunting methods that others use even if they do not aline with yours. 1shot this is not an attack nor do I take it personal, just making a point based on your arguments.

P.S. Your comment of "I received a lot of likes for that post so I'm not alone in my thoughts." You only had 1 like when I checked. Yup sounds like a lot to me.

+1 well said. I've been running cams for 7-8 years now. I use them as a tool just like I use my swarovskis. There's always some ancient buck that likes to be completely nocturnal that I don't see the first few scouting trips glassing an area. If the trail cam captures him, then I know that I just need to look through the glass alittle harder. I don't understand all this "patterning of deer" bologna, as many years as I have been using trail cameras I have never had a coues deer show any pattern whatsoever. Maybe it's just the areas I hunt or maybe that's just coues deer behavior. I have never sat one of my salt sites because they are all miles to hike to and it is not my preferred way of hunting. I bust my butt glassing and hiking the area first, once I find that buck of interest I hang cams up and hope to get pictures of him just to have them. And use the cams in between seasons just to make sure that buck is still alive. I've been chasing the same ancient coues buck for 3 years now and knowing that he is still alive prior to a season keeps me persistent on him and that is the sole reason why I did not fill my tag last year, because that tag was only for him. So generalizing people that implement trail cameras as "lazy" is total rubbish. If a 120 is killed because someone caught it on their camera and thus knew about it, good, we all know a 120 isn't a 2-3 year old deer, so at least a mature buck is taken and not a young one.

/>

I'm jumping in on this one...you did it all on your own? What'd u choke your game to death? You never bought a better performing rifle or a nicer set of glass? All of us hunters do things to improve our odds. Cams are no different.

GreenMachine you hit it on the money. 1shot if you are claiming that cameras are the reason that more big trophy animals are being killed then why don't we also look at the fact that technology has made better equipment that everyone uses and not just focus on cameras alone. What about high powered rifles and scope by which "hunters" shot there game at further distances (up to 1000 yards)? Ever think about this? How about the increased use of high powered optics and GPS gadgets? How about the increase in dedicated, passionate and hardworking hunters that go the extra mile to harvest a mature animal? How about that fact that some ppl are LUCKY, and the fact that there has been an increased use of outfitters to harvest trophy animals. You make it sound like trail cameras ALONE are the reason for the increase trophy harvest, which by the way how are you coming up with this information that more trophies are being killed?? Some of the biggest trophy animals were killed 50 plus years ago, and they were killed all the time. What has changed is how information spreads. Whenever someone kills a trophy now a days, everyone hears about it so it may seem as if more trophies are being killed. Are there more trophy animals being taken now compared to previous years? Perhaps...but there are also more hunters now then before. If there indeed are more trophies being killed each year, trust me its not because of cameras, its due to a huge combination of factors.

Cameras are a tool, just like 15x56 swarovskis, vortex scopes, GPS, quads, maps, high powered rifles, compound bows... they are all tools that help us reach a higher potential as hunters. As mklong40 said, there is EXTREME Ignorance when it comes to people talking about the use of trail cameras. Do ppl really believe that just by putting a camera out you are going to have immediate results and a trophy buck is just going to appear? Most of the time you get nothing. People don't realize the amount of work that goes into utilizing a camera. You have to scout the area first and locate the game before you even put the camera out. I am no one to say that one mans style of hunting is better then the next; as long as it is ethical and legal. Last I checked, camera are still legal. Therefore, please respect the hard work and hunting methods that others use even if they do not aline with yours. 1shot this is not an attack nor do I take it personal, just making a point based on your arguments.

P.S. Your comment of "I received a lot of likes for that post so I'm not alone in my thoughts." You only had 1 like when I checked. Yup sounds like a lot to me.

not once in my post did i say that cameras were the only reason that trophy animals were being taken i only stated that more are being taken because of the cameras so please read before you start ripping someone for something they did not say. You yourself said that first you locate the game before you put your cameras out and my point was that if you had to pattern that buck yourself instead of watching them on film and knowing when and how often the are hitting certain tanks you might not be as successful. And yes a lot of the biggest trophies were taken years ago and again my post stated 110 inch deer and 380 inch elk which are a far cry from the biggest. It's funny that i also referred to the question about baiting the animal but no one had much to say about that and it seems a lot of times when you see a camera you also see salt blocks,deer candy,corn and anything else that works(and I'm not saying always) but this is a huge issue in my opinion. I myself have talked to outfitters that will tell you they have 3,4 or even more 110 inch bucks hitting tanks and waiting for clients to shoot those bucks because they know that deer are creatures of habit so i just suggested that if they had to spend time to pattern those bucks instead of letting the camera do it for them they wouldn't be as successful. As far as the 1000 yard shots there aren't one tenth of one percent of hunters that could even make a 1000 yard shot.

also a lot of my likes were sent by personal friends that are members through text and phone calls so next time i post i will take into consideration that the CWT Police are watching.

And last but most important the member that posted the question was not offended at all. we have spoken on the phone with each other in the past and I'm actually helping him to learn a specific unit and have plans to hunt with him this fall. it just seems odd that so many people took this personal and it wasn't intended to attack anyone it is my opinion and i will continue to do everything i can to see that they become illegal to use.

/>

not once in my post did i say that cameras were the only reason that trophy animals were being taken i only stated that more are being taken because of the cameras so please read before you start ripping someone for something they did not say. You yourself said that first you locate the game before you put your cameras out and my point was that if you had to pattern that buck yourself instead of watching them on film and knowing when and how often the are hitting certain tanks you might not be as successful. And yes a lot of the biggest trophies were taken years ago and again my post stated 110 inch deer and 380 inch elk which are a far cry from the biggest. It's funny that i also referred to the question about baiting the animal but no one had much to say about that and it seems a lot of times when you see a camera you also see salt blocks,deer candy,corn and anything else that works(and I'm not saying always) but this is a huge issue in my opinion. I myself have talked to outfitters that will tell you they have 3,4 or even more 110 inch bucks hitting tanks and waiting for clients to shoot those bucks because they know that deer are creatures of habit so i just suggested that if they had to spend time to pattern those bucks instead of letting the camera do it for them they wouldn't be as successful. As far as the 1000 yard shots there aren't one tenth of one percent of hunters that could even make a 1000 yard shot.

also a lot of my likes were sent by personal friends that are members through text and phone calls so next time i post i will take into consideration that the CWT Police are watching.

And last but most important the member that posted the question was not offended at all. we have spoken on the phone with each other in the past and I'm actually helping him to learn a specific unit and have plans to hunt with him this fall. it just seems odd that so many people took this personal and it wasn't intended to attack anyone it is my opinion and i will continue to do everything i can to see that they become illegal to use.

Well said. I apologize for taking part in hijacking a thread. I think we got way off topic. As far as using corn or anything else for a TC, I am not educated enough on whats legal, whats not, etc. and I don't use it. I don't see much of an issue using salt in a area already being used say by a rancher, etc. for cattle. Outside of that, I have shot small deer in my day that I worked my butt off for and its substantially more satisfying than deer I shot 200 yards out of camp by dumb luck which are bigger. TC, No TC, hunt hard, enjoy the land God gave us and to each his own. At the end of the day 100 hunters may all have a different opinion on what a "hard" hunt is anyway.....

Guest akaspecials
I wouldn't put out corn. It's illegal. And I know a few guys that have found corn piles and have "confiscated" all of the trail cameras, blinds, and chairs that were left at the corn piles and left nice notes.

Salt is okay.

You're a thief and you associate yourself with thieves. Your parents should be ashamed of themselves. Me and my daughter set up a cam a couple miles back (granted a couple miles must be the "lazy" way of hunting) and the look on her face when we returned to find it gone is enough to want to hunt your friends instead of the game we wanted photos of. Wow, some guys say off the walls things on this forum, myself included but you take the cake on this one buddy. You should post your vigilante friends number on here, I'll go get everyones stuff back for them,

So, what do your thief friends do with all of the equipment they steal? Turn it in to the officials? I doubt it.

How people spend their hard earned time and money is no business of yours, I hope you and your friends end up in jail or better yet, get caught by the men they are stealing from.

Were you hunting illegally over corn when your camera was taken? If not, these guys aren't the ones that stole your camera.

Have you ever lived someplace where there isn't much law? A place where locals just take care of things? If you haven't you probabaly wouldn't understand the mentality of these guys. In thier minds, the baiters were breaking the law and getting an unfair advantage over the rest of us. To solve the situation, they took thier stuff, spread the bait out, and left a note to let them know where they could pick it up and who did it.

I can see how you can see it as stealing, but these folks aren't walking around willly nilly and plucking every cam, blind, and tree stand they find. I"m sorry you lost your camera and the disappointment of your daughter. That always sucks. But I personally believe this situation isn't even comparable to that.

Taking something that does not belong to you is stealing......Aint no arguing that.

• Like 7

You guys are all wasting your breath, you can't fix stupid. Perhaps when someone is caught, it can be beaten out of them I would imagine.

• Like 1

If you put the corn out for a non big game species such as Feral Hogs it is perfectly legal. And maybe if your lucky a buck will come into your non big game corn pile.

thats crazy, i only feed them hogs, they love sweet feed so try some of dat. read your laws. can you use feed , you otta be ashamed! LOL ive heard its only illegal if you get caught. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Salt is okay.

Were you hunting illegally over corn when your camera was taken? If not, these guys aren't the ones that stole your camera.

Have you ever lived someplace where there isn't much law? A place where locals just take care of things? If you haven't you probabaly wouldn't understand the mentality of these guys. In thier minds, the baiters were breaking the law and getting an unfair advantage over the rest of us. To solve the situation, they took thier stuff, spread the bait out, and left a note to let them know where they could pick it up and who did it.

I can see how you can see it as stealing, but these folks aren't walking around willly nilly and plucking every cam, blind, and tree stand they find. I"m sorry you lost your camera and the disappointment of your daughter. That always sucks. But I personally believe this situation isn't even comparable to that.

the fact you are even trying to justify their actions makes me want to vomit...speaks volumes of your character, or lack there of, as well...I am assuming you are young..wow...I want to sit over corn just to catch them...what unit are they doing this at so I can set some stands? Better yet, post one of their "nice notes" with their phone number. I am sure many people who have had their cameras and stands "confiscated" by fine outdoorsmen protecting wildlife like your friends would love to pay them a visit...
  • Like 3

Guest akaspecials

My original intention was to let to OP know that corn is illegal and that people feel slighted when other folks use illegal methods (i.e. poach). I also wanted to let him know that people are dealing with this problem vigilante style and I explained why they feel the way they do. As I stated previously, I've always called G&F when I've found corn or other illegal things and have never taken a thing that didn't belong to me.

At the beginning of this thread I honestly saw no problem with what these guys were doing (taking setups when folks are poaching and leaving them a note with contact info). I see where you guys are coming from now and I can see why some of you are so upset. I guess I saw it as once someone has broken the law, ruined a hunting spot, and and basically cheated someone out of game, that there was no problem with a little revenge. I guess I've watched too many Westerns recently... Anyways, I want to apologize and let you guys know that I've changed my mind.

If I find corn, I will still call the authorities, and possibly spread it out from your pile so you can't hunt it. But I don't condone the taking of folks setups. Hope that clears it up and this thread can get back on topic.

Thank you akaspecials. You mentioned small town living in an earlier thread, I live in a small town now and grew up in a small town. There was and is a "good ole boy code" but stealing or trying to justify different forms of stealing was never part of it. If you feel it neccesarey to call g&f about corn being placed.then so be it. It doesn't make it entirely illegal. I'm glad your able to see both sides of mountain now.

• Like 1

My original intention was to let to OP know that corn is illegal and that people feel slighted when other folks use illegal methods (i.e. poach). I also wanted to let him know that people are dealing with this problem vigilante style and I explained why they feel the way they do. As I stated previously, I've always called G&F when I've found corn or other illegal things and have never taken a thing that didn't belong to me.

At the beginning of this thread I honestly saw no problem with what these guys were doing (taking setups when folks are poaching and leaving them a note with contact info). I see where you guys are coming from now and I can see why some of you are so upset. I guess I saw it as once someone has broken the law, ruined a hunting spot, and and basically cheated someone out of game, that there was no problem with a little revenge. I guess I've watched too many Westerns recently... Anyways, I want to apologize and let you guys know that I've changed my mind.

If I find corn, I will still call the authorities, and possibly spread it out from your pile so you can't hunt it. But I don't condone the taking of folks setups. Hope that clears it up and this thread can get back on topic.

As it stands with G&F placing "bait" isn't illegal until you hunt over it, weather you placed it there or just found it. Hunting over bait is and will always be illegal.

• Like 1