capoeirajosh

salt or corn?

I own a good amount of cameras and have used them extensively years back. I don't like using them very much anymore because they are time consuming. I'd rather be out seeing alive stuff in the woods than running and checking cameras all the time. I love the pictures no doubt, but it comes down to how much time I want to put into cameras and I also know every time I place one out that it very well may get stolen. Off the beaten path water is the best place for a camera. Good trails work well too.

I think it is verging on unethical if you have to skirt the corn law to get what you want out of it (i.e. corn for all these feral hogs we have here in Arizona). Just my 2 cents.

I also apologize if it was your corn feeder I took up in 6a last year. I didn't hesitate to take it down since it looked abandoned, empty, and there were no cameras up, down, right, or left of the feeder. It just looked like litter in the forest to me, which I clean up when I can :)

attachicon.gifIMAG0146.JPG

Would you consider this abandoned? :)

TJ

Definitely not...LOL. We always put our name & # on our game cameras. Maybe people with corn feeders should do the same :D

I posted the picture to make a point. What you took might not have been a corn feeder but a salt dispencer like the one in the picture you assumed was a corn feeder as well.

Yes, there is a name on the salt dispenser. :)

TJ

I own a good amount of cameras and have used them extensively years back. I don't like using them very much anymore because they are time consuming. I'd rather be out seeing alive stuff in the woods than running and checking cameras all the time. I love the pictures no doubt, but it comes down to how much time I want to put into cameras and I also know every time I place one out that it very well may get stolen. Off the beaten path water is the best place for a camera. Good trails work well too.

I think it is verging on unethical if you have to skirt the corn law to get what you want out of it (i.e. corn for all these feral hogs we have here in Arizona). Just my 2 cents.

I also apologize if it was your corn feeder I took up in 6a last year. I didn't hesitate to take it down since it looked abandoned, empty, and there were no cameras up, down, right, or left of the feeder. It just looked like litter in the forest to me, which I clean up when I can :)

attachicon.gifIMAG0146.JPG

Would you consider this abandoned? :)

TJ

Definitely not...LOL. We always put our name & # on our game cameras. Maybe people with corn feeders should do the same :D

not defending... but I know some one that had 1 in 6a and didn't have a cam on it ( 6A nut knows who I'm talkin about) this was like 3 years ago. I don't know exactly where it was but from his story it was near Apache maid on the west side. He's about as unethical as they come and probably left it there..

James

Wow! Another proud thief!

Never thought I would have to worry about CWT.com members stealing my stands, cameras and feeders... boy how the world has changed.

Really????? I've never met naturegirl but I'll bet my last dollar she wouldn't have taken it if it hadn't looked abanded. :)

TJ

You people can't be serious! Just because it's empty you're going to steal my feeder? I put out 3" and 4" PVC tubes with Trace Mineral salts in them. I usually don't have cameras on them, except for maybe the month before I'm going to hunt that area. And I only hang my stand there during the season. I check them every three months in the off season to refill them, but some of them are empty if there is heavy deer or elk use on them, some of them still have salt left when I return.

If it's not yours and you take it, you are a thief! If you take something that belongs to someone else, you are stealing! Who made you God, and said you could decide if it is abandoned? I can't believe I am hearing hunters condoning stealing other people stuff, and especially members of this forum!

• Like 4

Who said the forest is yours and you can just leave your shyt all over the place?

I put out alot of trail cameras, and leave them up year round. With the new technology in trail cameras i can put Lithium batteries and a 16GB card in them and they will run for 8-12 months. I also put out cell based trail cams that have a battery life of over a year and never require checking them. So if you find one of my cameras and it doesn't look like anyone has been around to check them lately, are you going to consider them abandoned? I think most hunters would never take anything that's not yours.

You might not agree with someone using a pvc tube to disperse their salt more efficiently, but that doesn't mean you can take it. I usually just throw my salt blocks on the ground, but the tube idea is just a different way of doing it. I would hope that no one sees my salt block on the ground with no cameras on it and thinks its abandoned. I have had people steal my cameras and salt blocks and that SUCKS!

/>

Wow! Another proud thief!

Never thought I would have to worry about CWT.com members stealing my stands, cameras and feeders... boy how the world has changed.

You said CWT members were stealing your tree stands and cameras too. I must have missed that post. Who stole your stuff?

Learn how to read! Never said CWT.com members stole my cameras or stands... just said I never thought I had to worry about it...

• Like 1

I was going to respond to someone personally, but I'll pass.

I can say with certainty it was abandoned. I gave little detail about what it looked like, where it was, how long it had been there from when my husband found it until I took it down, etc., how many years we have hunted the area, blah, blah, blah.

If something looks like crap in the forest I will clean it up.

I was going to respond to someone personally, but I'll pass.

I can say with certainty it was abandoned. I gave little detail about what it looked like, where it was, how long it had been there from when my husband found it until I took it down, etc., how many years we have hunted the area, blah, blah, blah.

If something looks like crap in the forest I will clean it up.

whatever you do......don't follow me up the mountain after a night of Jager and regrettable 3am TACO BELL.
  • Like 4

Blaze, it was funny is what i meant. Someone said they picked up crap in the forest , and you said don't follow me after the 3 am taco bell. I'm still laughing.

• Like 1

You guys are so funny! The feeder was found in May 2013 (during turkey season) - it was empty and not used even with spider webs. Back again in August during archery deer (or maybe it was my husband's bull hunt in Sept) it was still there but now it is half hanging off the tree and is now filled with spider webs. NOTE - it was not taken down during turkey season when first found. AGAIN NOTE - It was taken down months later and at that point, it was clearly in worse shape than before. Let's not forget we are both hunters and can read the ground to see if the area around it was disturbed. Again, all signs pointed to it being left out there (i.e. abandoned). I was honestly thinking that someone was using corn and maybe since the rule was changed, they just left it out there not bothering to go remove it themselves. It all played into the decision making process.

I really can only laugh at you guys and how defensive you become. Next thing you have me hanging from a tree by a noose....all for picking up trash. Once again I don't steal, but I am a good steward of the land and the animals.

If you have your stuff out there make it look like it's used and better yet put your name and number on it.

Enough said. Have a wonderful day!

• Like 1

/>

How about you just hunt the animal instead of trying to bait it and catch it on video. I would like to put a 12 guage slug right into every trail camera i see. Hunters are getting lazy and i guarantee there wouldn't be as many 110 inch deer

wow you really took that personal. I received a lot of likes for that post so I'm not alone in my thoughts. I'm sure I'm from another generation of hunters and we did it all on our own

I'm jumping in on this one...you did it all on your own? What'd u choke your game to death? You never bought a better performing rifle or a nicer set of glass? All of us hunters do things to improve our odds. Cams are no different.

GreenMachine you hit it on the money. 1shot if you are claiming that cameras are the reason that more big trophy animals are being killed then why don't we also look at the fact that technology has made better equipment that everyone uses and not just focus on cameras alone. What about high powered rifles and scope by which "hunters" shot there game at further distances (up to 1000 yards)? Ever think about this? How about the increased use of high powered optics and GPS gadgets? How about the increase in dedicated, passionate and hardworking hunters that go the extra mile to harvest a mature animal? How about that fact that some ppl are LUCKY, and the fact that there has been an increased use of outfitters to harvest trophy animals. You make it sound like trail cameras ALONE are the reason for the increase trophy harvest, which by the way how are you coming up with this information that more trophies are being killed?? Some of the biggest trophy animals were killed 50 plus years ago, and they were killed all the time. What has changed is how information spreads. Whenever someone kills a trophy now a days, everyone hears about it so it may seem as if more trophies are being killed. Are there more trophy animals being taken now compared to previous years? Perhaps...but there are also more hunters now then before. If there indeed are more trophies being killed each year, trust me its not because of cameras, its due to a huge combination of factors.

Cameras are a tool, just like 15x56 swarovskis, vortex scopes, GPS, quads, maps, high powered rifles, compound bows... they are all tools that help us reach a higher potential as hunters. As mklong40 said, there is EXTREME Ignorance when it comes to people talking about the use of trail cameras. Do ppl really believe that just by putting a camera out you are going to have immediate results and a trophy buck is just going to appear? Most of the time you get nothing. People don't realize the amount of work that goes into utilizing a camera. You have to scout the area first and locate the game before you even put the camera out. I am no one to say that one mans style of hunting is better then the next; as long as it is ethical and legal. Last I checked, camera are still legal. Therefore, please respect the hard work and hunting methods that others use even if they do not aline with yours. 1shot this is not an attack nor do I take it personal, just making a point based on your arguments.

P.S. Your comment of "I received a lot of likes for that post so I'm not alone in my thoughts." You only had 1 like when I checked. Yup sounds like a lot to me.

not once in my post did i say that cameras were the only reason that trophy animals were being taken i only stated that more are being taken because of the cameras so please read before you start ripping someone for something they did not say. You yourself said that first you locate the game before you put your cameras out and my point was that if you had to pattern that buck yourself instead of watching them on film and knowing when and how often the are hitting certain tanks you might not be as successful. And yes a lot of the biggest trophies were taken years ago and again my post stated 110 inch deer and 380 inch elk which are a far cry from the biggest. It's funny that i also referred to the question about baiting the animal but no one had much to say about that and it seems a lot of times when you see a camera you also see salt blocks,deer candy,corn and anything else that works(and I'm not saying always) but this is a huge issue in my opinion. I myself have talked to outfitters that will tell you they have 3,4 or even more 110 inch bucks hitting tanks and waiting for clients to shoot those bucks because they know that deer are creatures of habit so i just suggested that if they had to spend time to pattern those bucks instead of letting the camera do it for them they wouldn't be as successful. As far as the 1000 yard shots there aren't one tenth of one percent of hunters that could even make a 1000 yard shot.

also a lot of my likes were sent by personal friends that are members through text and phone calls so next time i post i will take into consideration that the CWT Police are watching.

And last but most important the member that posted the question was not offended at all. we have spoken on the phone with each other in the past and I'm actually helping him to learn a specific unit and have plans to hunt with him this fall. it just seems odd that so many people took this personal and it wasn't intended to attack anyone it is my opinion and i will continue to do everything i can to see that they become illegal to use.

This is Classic. 1stshot from Scottsdale says "please read before you start ripping someone for something that they did not say"

Look at your own words 1stshot from your original post, and I quote " I would like to put a 12 guage slug right into every trail camera i see." And then you go on to add that Hunters are getting lazy, implying from the use of Cameras. Yeah, that's not going to stir up the pot.

I'm sure you hike all the way from Scottsdale to your Unit, use no "Lazy" tools like Glassing equipment, ect, and then Jump down from your tree with a Spear.

Greenmachine made me laugh so hard when replying to 1stshot "Whatdu do, choke your game to death?" Hilarious.

I think the lesson learned for Capo Josh and others who are getting into Hunting (like myself) and using Cameras is everytime you place something on PUBLIC land, you have a chance of it being taken by numerous individuals, jealous hunters, hello kitty anti's, plain thieves, dirty poachers or shot by the old timers who did it all on their own.

• Like 1