creed_az_88

anybody ever kill an elk in 2b?

I know the answer has to be yes, I just can't ever recall hearing or seeing pictures of bulls taken there. Is there a resident population here that contains mature bulls year after year? I ask because I'm pretty sure that I'll be hunting here with my mom come sept. I intend to scour the area looking for bulls before the hunt if this is the tag that was drawn but a little hope that a mature bull is a possibility here would be awesome. Are the genetics as good as they should be considering the neighboring units?

I've been in 2b a lot. There are small groups of Resident Elk, but not huge numbers. It looks to be more of a winter habitat. Like you said if you scout it a lot you won't have a problem, but expect the local Springerville and St. John folks to have the advantage of the bigger Bulls. Don't let that discourage you, as in any Elk unit in AZ, big Bulls can be taken by anyone. The biggest I've seen there are in the 320-350 range, but have talked to people who have taken and have seen pictures of bigger ones. Good luck and let us know how it went.

Grew up there my whole life. Spent quite a bit of time out there and it's tuff. If there's a big bull hanging around on that side of the highway the locals know it. I have seen elk just outside of st. Johns. It's been a long time so it might be different now. I know there out there but it will be a challenge for sure.

the zuni's and the navajo's have bought huge ranch acreages in northern 2B in recent years. the navajo tribe offers a $30K trophy bull hunt in the Witch Wells area every year. as in 400 inch trophy. there are even bulls on the private pasture across from the Witch Wells' bar most years. stop in at the bar and look at the albums over a dos equis sometime. Mr. Hicks is a published author and a gentleman- if you ask nice he'll brew you a pot of coffee for the road.

lee

Never hunted bulls there but lots of cows on left over tags. I don't have camera's out there at this time but do have some pics of some good bulls out there. If you did get this tag let me know and I will try to find some for you. I have an early bull tag in unit 1 so I will not be able to help during the early hunts bunt after that I can help.

DCM

• Like 1

There is plenty of sign up there it's a really tough hunt, they move around a ton! I went up there last year no luck.

Sounds like there's a chance! That's all I need to light my fire. It would be awesome for my mom to shoot a bull on a limited opp hunt. If I can find some shooter bulls before the hunt starts I'll probably try to get it done with the bow and let her fling the bullets. Thats a generous offer DCM. If we did indeed draw that unit and not our first choice, I will keep you in mind. I'm looking forward to the challenge.

-creed

2b borders unit 15 in New Mexico... Seems like it would be pretty good as 15 is the premium tag

/>2b borders unit 15 in New Mexico... Seems like it would be pretty good as 15 is the premium tag

It borders unit 12. Big bulls in 12 but like unit 2 it is checkerboarded so access is difficult

I did drown one there once. It was an any elk hunt in August. I saw 3 elk there the whole time, although I did kill the bull on the 2nd day of my hunt.

IMG_1226.jpg

IMG_1345.jpg

Guided 2 very young kids there 6 years back for free. Killed 2 bulls out from under the locals opening morning. There was a zoo of hunters where ever there was elk. Both bulls between 240 and 260 ish. Scouting is critical cause most bulls are dead by the 2nd morning.

/>Killed 2 bulls out from under the locals opening morning.

Bet that went over like a fart in church

/> Killed 2 bulls out from under the locals opening morning.

Bet that went over like a fart in church

Lol flatlander, the locals were pretty nice about it when they saw i was helping a 11 year old boy and a 13 year old girl. It probably wouldn't have gone as well if it was me alone. This is a tough hunt!!