Sign in to follow this  
daverp

What are you doing to get in shape for elk season?

Last season kicked my azz. Had short notice (2 mo) before I headed out to help the brother on my nephew's hunt, was in pretty pizz poor shape. Didn't realize how bad until I was out climbing and hiking the hills again. I was in denial. Had put on about 35 lbs., and areas I breezed through fairly handily a few years ago were now azz kickers requiring far too many rest breaks to catch my breath and steady my weak legs. By the time the hunt was over, I was SPENT, and barely had energy to get up the stairs when I returned home.

Wasn't sure we'd draw a tag this year, but upon my return from last year, decided it didn't matter if we were going deer or elk hunting or not, I needed to get in shape!

So, on the "eve" of official results, I know I'm taking the kid chasing bulls this year, and I've already got a decent start to getting back in shape. Started "P90X" a couple months ago, have shed about 10 lbs., and next week I'm picking up running twice a week during the week, and need to find a good, hard hike with elevation I can time myself on during one day on the weekends. Plan on starting out with my usual day pack load, and will keep upping it to 60 lbs or so by the time the season rolls around. This will be in addition to P90X which I will complete 3 times by November.

Last goal will be to finally run that half marathon sometime in October that I've had in my sights for the last 5 years...if my knees hold out. Having screwed up a knee running a few years ago, I'm not dead set on that goal, but it would a nice one to reach.

I intend to be in phenomenal shape come November. God only knows when a great elk tag will come along again, and I cannot let being out of shape get in the way of a great hunt or possible pack out job.

What will you be doing? Anyone ever staged a fitness "comeback" like this for an elk hunt?

• Like 1

I'm continuously checking the G & F website but instead of using the one click method from my "favorites" menu I'm manually typing in the address. Man are my fingers getting tired!

EBB

• Like 6

I have to say I'm in the same boat! Didn't realize how out of shape I had gotten until last years Elk Hunt! 5A in the snow kicked my butt. :) So I kicked it into gear so this year that wont happen!

/>I'm continuously checking the G & F website but instead of using the one click method from my "favorites" menu I'm manually typing in the address. Man are my fingers getting tired!

EBB

Same here but try doing that while doing a 12oz curl also man that's tough...lol but really I have an incline elliptical and I have all the santa Rita right out my back door
  • Like 1

My wife and I have started walking about a mile and a half last week. The hardest part is giving up the beer and carbs. Good luck guys

• Like 1

I'll worry about it if i get drawn. Till then twelve ounce curls.

• Like 2

I am riding my bike to work everyday - 30 miles round trip (plus my normal running program). Besides improving my stamina, for the hunt, I am also saving some extra cash on gas. Which will be wisely reinvested into extra scouting trips and extra ammo for the range.

Sidenote: The ROI on a bike is rediculous.

Buy a quad :)

Weights/jogging/biking etc. are all good for you, but I think hitting the hills with a light to heavy pack and putting miles on your boots is the best thing you can do, especially if you can gain some altitude along the way. Working elk all day at higher elevation can be a killer for flatlanders if we don't prepare accordingly.

Here is tucson that's not always an easy option to hike (especially since dogs are restricted from all of the local trailheads), so I often put on a pack and walk the sand in the Rilito River bottom with my dog. When I lived in PHX I was about 8 minutes from Squaw Peak and ran those trails 3-4 times a week.

As others have also mentioned, once you are 30+ years of age your diet is also a critical component of conditioning.

• Like 1

Last year I got my elk on the steepest hill around. I gutted and dragged her down the hill 300 yards. The road was 100 more yards. I was so tired I had to rest for 1/2 hour. I swear if it happens again, I'm driving my freakin' FJ all the way up to it!!!

• Like 1

I just watch AZ basketball. I figure with all the pacing, jumping, cursing, throwing, etc its like a full 2 hours of P90X. I know I am usually physically and mentally drained after the games. Elk hunting is easy compared to that.

• Like 2

My annual Medifast diet. 24 down and 19 to go. Then its running and scouting this summer. Just getting the weight off makes a huge difference in my ability to hike and climb.

Hike far more than you run, the steeper and rougher the better, biking is good also but I also use a stair climber/set for endurance/30 min/ tread mill for at least 15min. at a time, turn the tread mill to rolling hill/highest level/3.6 mph. Minimum 45min. combined, at least three times a week and hike every chance you get.