Sign in to follow this  
muley224

Remember these ?

How many of you remember these ? I have saved them all through the years. I have 17 of them !

post-10954-112106_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

That does bring back memories of applying for the kaibab. Imagine drawing 1015 or 1017 as your 3rd or 4 th choice.

my dad recently told me a really cool story, here it is....

He said that one day he walked to his mailbox and saw 3 blue letters and 1 pink. he walked up to his apartment and set the letters on the table thinking that he drew elk, lope, and deer but didn't draw sheep (back before they split up the draws) so he just went on with what he had to do. I don't know how much longer later, but it must have been at least a couple hours. so he sits down and opens up the pink one first and it says that he did not draw lope. then it occurred to him, HE DREW SHEEP. this was only his 2nd year putting in for sheep and his 1st choice was 33 and 2nd was 45b and he drew his 2nd choice.

I figured that I would share that because I thought it was pretty cool.....

• Like 3

my dad recently told me a really cool story, here it is....

He said that one day he walked to his mailbox and saw 3 blue letters and 1 pink. he walked up to his apartment and set the letters on the table thinking that he drew elk, lope, and deer but didn't draw sheep (back before they split up the draws) so he just went on with what he had to do. I don't know how much longer later, but it must have been at least a couple hours. so he sits down and opens up the pink one first and it says that he did not draw lope. then it occurred to him, HE DREW SHEEP. this was only his 2nd year putting in for sheep and his 1st choice was 33 and 2nd was 45b and he drew his 2nd choice.

I figured that I would share that because I thought it was pretty cool.....

That is a good story. Heck of a way to find out you got a sheep tag.

Patrick, is there a rest of the story? did your dad get a sheep or at least have an unforgettable experience?

GBA

• Like 1

I've never seen those before. Interesting how it was done in the past. Sounds like more fun than checking your phone every hour when draw results are out.

I used to keep my unfilled tags until the pile started getting so big - now they get tossed.

• Like 1

Patrick, is there a rest of the story? did your dad get a sheep or at least have an unforgettable experience?

GBA

it was many years before I was born, I think 1991, but he passed on a couple 8 years olds and ended up shooting a 12 year old, he didn't score much. my dad tells me that he shot this ram because it walked down the hill really slow and it looked like a 100 year old person trying to walk down a steep hill.

• Like 1

GBA

it was many years before I was born, I think 1991, but he passed on a couple 8 years olds and ended up shooting a 12 year old, he didn't score much. my dad tells me that he shot this ram because it walked down the hill really slow and it looked like a 100 year old person trying to walk down a steep hill.

PICS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Like 1

GBA

I will try to post pics when I get a camera in my hands.

Reminds me of some of the metal tags on dads mounts from the '40's and 50's. If you didn't like your deer, you could just take the tag off, shoot another deer and put it on another rack.

GBA

here they are, it was when he was a studdly young man. sorry for the low quality pics, the actual hard copies are great.

post-12189-0-66543500-1396926899_thumb.jpg

post-12189-0-90127600-1396926909_thumb.jpg

post-12189-0-23508700-1396926921_thumb.jpg

post-12189-0-96232900-1396926931_thumb.jpg

post-12189-0-63036100-1396929967_thumb.jpg

Reminds me of some of the metal tags on dads mounts from the '40's and 50's. If you didn't like your deer, you could just take the tag off, shoot another deer and put it on another rack.

Back in the day we bought our tags and hunted anywhere we wanted you could even take your tag way up north and hunt the fringe of the Kiabab (paria/vermillion cliffs) if you had the time and or money. We always hunted what is now 6A and a couple of times did make the trek north. No wait at the mailbox, no calling the hotline no checking the credit card just go to Ruff's and get your tag.