Sign in to follow this  
Elkaddict

Gobbling report..what are you hearing?

Got out this morning at 4:00, heard absolutely zero! Very frustrating!

I'm a novice when it comes to turkeys but wouldn't 4am be a little early for them to gobble? I would think that they gobble after they wake up and hear the hens yelp. All the ones I've heard are going crazy as the horizon begins to fill with light.

Got out this morning at 4:00, heard absolutely zero! Very frustrating!

I'm a novice when it comes to turkeys but wouldn't 4am be a little early for them to gobble? I would think that they gobble after they wake up and hear the hens yelp. All the ones I've heard are going crazy as the horizon begins to fill with light.

You're probably right, but if you think about it I started at 4 and was deep into some prime looking stuff when the sun started lighting the sky. Also this morning it looked like daybreak way early with the full moon. Still didn't work.

It can be the most frustrating thing. I was ready to give up last weekend when they gobbled close to us then hit the dirt and went the other direction. Keep on it they seem to show up at the last minute.

• Like 1

4am may be a touch early but when there hot thyll shock gobble all night long, i usally see the action starting up around 445am and they will stay in the trees untill well after first light

Shooting for 4:30 start tomorrow(woke up at 3 this morning that's why I was so early) will let you know how it goes.

Bought 3 Jr. tags today at lunch. We'll be out early Friday in spots I saw gobblers in unit 1 a couple days ago. Then pulling the trailer up to higher country to see if we can fill some tags. Good luck to all the youth hunters headed out this weekend.

• Like 1

What a difference a day(and/or area) makes! Went to an area I found a lot of tracks last week and heard gobblers every where I went. Things are looking up!

• Like 1

Up in 8 yesterday the hens and toms were both talkin at 11am. I was watching 2 strutting toms with 4 hens at 60 yards. Tomorrow should be good for my little sister

• Like 1

Heading up to Unit 1 this afternoon for my youngest sons (13) Turkey Hunt. I know my buddy up there has stated that they are going silent as they jump out of the trees, but then start back up again a few hours later. Which, this time of year is the normal up there, as they get henned up first thing, but the hens leave them quickly and they start hunting for hens themselves. Looking forward to getting out this weekend. A bit blustery, but I always find that rainy weather gets them in the open a bit more than dry days. Good luck to all of the Jr. Hunters this weekend. I will be staying in Greer. Let me know if anyone else will be up that way. I have lots of areas to hunt up there.

• Like 1

Gotta thank woody for the coyote howler tip! Went out this morning and had at least 6 birds in 3 different locations gobble in response to it. Ready for tomorrow!

• Like 1