Sign in to follow this  
BackwoodsHunter

boot suggestion

I just went through the same thing, tried on a lot of boots and ended up getting the Salomon Quest 4D GTX...they are light, durable, breathable, sturdy but comfortable at same time. I recommend to try as many as you can on and buy quality boots (buy nice instead of buy twice is my philosophy). Good luck!

Scarpa, Lowa, la sportiva, all good rough country mountaineering boots

• Like 1

Lowas are the best! Have two pairs currently and have worn out a couple as well.

Have a great pair of kenetreks from a couple years ago, but got a pair last year that failed after a couple days. They sent me a brand new pair 1 1/2 months later. They are still sitting in the closet since I don't trust them. So if anyone wants 10.5 mountain extremes will sell them so I can buy another pair of lowas. If Kentreks quality returns to what it used to be I would buy them.

• Like 1

For a more affordable boot than the Lowas or Kenetreks that still hold up try the Irish Setter Hunt Havoc. Great ankle support, great tread (doesn't look aggressive and doesn't pick up every little thing under you but they perform really well). I've been wearing the same pair for over a year and they've been through heck and back and still hold up just fine.

Get something with a good heel. It helps tremendously going downhill.

That being said, I would stay away from the meindl perfekts.... I had a pair last year that lasted one hunting season. This was far off of the quality that I am used to with meindls. I have owned 4 pair of meindls over the past ten years and every pair has lasted me over 2 years with heavy use in AZ coues country and elk country. The perfekts did not.

I have the Alaskan Hunters by meindl now and they are a pretty good boot. Stiff ankle support and 200 gram thinsulate....IMO plenty for AZ.

On a side note, I wore those perfekts for last hunting season and they were starting to rip at the seams.... I sent them back to cabelas afterwards and received a full refund for them.... they have a good warranty.

LOWAS! I have a pair that have lasted me 5 years and I hike A LOT! I tried Kenetreks and I wore them out in a season.

• Like 1

I have never found a boot that I would actually recommend until a couple years ago. I will the second the Irish Setter Havoc boot. By far, the most comfortable footwear I have ever owned. The fit is like they were custom designed to my feet. If your scouting year round and hunting alot, I would say your going to get about a year out of the boots. It doesn't matter how many miles or how much weight I carry, my feet feel great the next day and during the outing. I prefer un-insulated boots year round, unless sitting a treestand in winter. I recently purchased four pairs (EE wide) from Sportsmans on Clearance for about $70 a pair, normally I believe they were $180. I'm worried they aren't going to offer the un-insulated version any longer.

I did get a pair of Danner Pronghorns as a gift from my wife and they were terrible IMO, very uncomfortable fit for me.

Otherwise, my experience is with lower end boots and they all sucked.

I've had very good luck with Danner Light Hikers (Leather Uppper) and Danner light hiker IIs. (canvas upper) They have lasted many years and offer great support. The thing with Danner boots is you need to stay away from them molded sole boots that are made overseas. Go with the non-molded sole ones made in the USA and you will have good results.