Sign in to follow this  
firstcoueswas80

Broad heads for elk, 2014

not an anti hunter, in a gun hunter. just wondering why you guys use such light arrows for such a big animal. would you rather be shot a 22 pistol or a 500 Smith and Wesson? Why?

Hey azkiller let's leave that discussion for another thread please.... I'd really like to get just broad head suggestions and experiences in this one please.

• Like 4

/>If all of these broadheads work so great, why do archery Hunters litter the woods with hundreds of injured elk every year? Just sayin!

I would bet dollars to doughnuts that gun hunters "litter the woods" with almost just as many unrecovered elk.....

I think tag for tag archery hunters wound far more elk on a yearly basis than the gun hunters. I can't tell you how many people I know or that I run into on the hunts that have wounded 2 to 3 elk on just 1 archery hunt. This is directly related to the increase in distance archery hunters are willing to shoot. I've never seen an elk lost with a rifle in all my years but with a bow it's sure is a lot. Sorry first coues was 80 if I veered of track.

/>I think tag for tag archery hunters wound far more elk on a yearly basis than the gun hunters. I can't tell you how many people I know or that I run into on the hunts that have wounded 2 to 3 elk on just 1 archery hunt. This is directly related to the increase in distance archery hunters are willing to shoot. I've never seen an elk lost with a rifle in all my years but with a bow it's sure is a lot. Sorry first coues was 80 if I veered of track.

I see where your coming from but I had a buddy go on a rifle elk hunt first day at 100 yards shot @ a cow. She didnt flinch herd took off and she took off with the herd he looked for blood for an hour never found any. He blew it off as a miss (he shoots good and his 7 mag is sub MOA) this exact thing happens the next day.... so he goes and shoots his gun still hitting perfect.... day 3 he shoots at a cow she doesn't flinch but just picks her head up and looks around he proceeds to shoot again and the elk runs off and shoots a 3rd time and and broke her front shoulder and she goes down..... he got over there and there was 2 holes an inch apart double lunged. The elk showed no signs of being hit or blood until she went down with the third shot. At that point he said he got sick to his stomach knowing he shot 2 other elk and never recovered them....... I know quite a few of my friends that have killed elk with a gun that also said the same thing that they hit the elk and showed no signs of a hit or blood or very little blood until they went down. These elk were taken with 7mags up to a 460 pistol...... now I ask this how many people do you know that say they shot and missed elk with a rifle? Sad to say but I have herd quite a few people tell me that and I use to believe it but now Im sorry but it has to be an absolutely horrible shot to miss an animal that big with a gun......

Thanks for all the responses and experiences with the Ulmer Edge! Seems to be a great broadhead!

• Like 1

One of the only game animals I've ever lost was a cow elk I shot at a MAX of 20 yards. No reaction to a 30/06 bullet.... elkhunter was there, he can confirm. No reaction, no blood no hair. We started guiding good blood about 150 or so yards later.

• Like 1

/>

think i'm going with ulmer edges.

Overall it seems like a great broadhead besides a couple concerns. Can anyone who has used the Ulmer Edge give additional information.

To answer your question about the blades swiveling after hitting bone...my broadhead hit ribs going in and on the far side. The chisel tip was dinged up and one of the blades had a chip in it. When I got the broadhead out, the blades were locked open and it still swivels just like new. I have read about guys saying they look just like new and using them again but mine didn't, and I wouldn't reuse it.

UlmerEdge head as it lay after a pass through on a medium-bodied Coues buck. It appears to be 100% reusable after breaking ribs on the entry and breaking the humerus on exit. Swivels just like new.

post-3844-0-15993700-1391180812_thumb.jpg
Exit wound measured 5" at it's widest but in the shape of a triangle. Maybe because of humerus busting?? Wicked wound regardless, not comparable to my muzzy experience. Muzzy experience was great though, NOT knocking it. Just smaller holes and lighter blood trail. Both bucks expired within 75 yards. I'll reiterate I understand bulls and bucks are not exactly comparable and still yet I have confidence in both broadheads.
post-3844-0-50041500-1391181202_thumb.jpg